Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

TeeHee why feminism is for men too-men talk feminism

InMemoriam

InMemoriam

Make Paragon Glowie Again
★★★★★

Why Feminism is for men too – Men Talk Feminism​

2mens_bank_mini.png

2mens_office_mini.png

open_book_mini.png

4mens_sit_mini.png

2mens_smartphone_mini.png

As you answered NO or NOT SURE… there are understandable reasons for that (you might think it is a women’s movement by and for women, you might think feminism is no longer needed nowadays, you might feel feminism paints men as the enemy, you might not know “how to” be a feminist man or other reasons).

And here is the other side of the argument.
Check out why men like you think Feminism is for men too and make up your own mind!
Do you accept the challenge? Just scroll down….

Total Entries: 61
Filter
17/10/2022 11:35
By Jason - 49yo from United Kingdom

1. Why is Feminism relevant to men?
I have two sisters, had a mother, and have nieces, as well as a number female friends and colleagues. Feminism and supporting women's rights is therefore absolutely at the forefront of my life. Why wouldn't it be for any man? If it wasn't I would need to question my own values and morals. I want the very best for the women I know just as I want the very best for the men I know. Unequal relationships, in the worse case scenario, can lead to an abuse of power, which I have seen first-hand. So my view is that it's relevance is staring all men in the face. Men need to take responsibility to fight inequality and the oppression of women in all forms, and that includes casual sexism, misogyny, and negative views of women in general. How can equality be achieved if men don't play their part and advocate for women's rights.
2. How does Feminism benefit men?
When men embrace feminism, i.e. feminist thinking, then their relationship with their partner and women in general, will benefit from the mutual growth that an equal relationship brings, and helps to develop better communication, shared responsibilities and avoids the outdated view of the 'man of the household'. Which ultimately leads to a more fulfilled relationship. But it's equally important in a work environment, to ensure men and women are on an equal footing, avoiding resentment and creating a fair and level playing field. It also helps to remove the expectations often put on men from an early age, to be the breadwinner, to be the man of the house. Equality therefore leads to happier, healthier relationships, which will invariably benefit men.

3. Have you always embraced Feminism? If not, what changed your mind?
Not to the same level I do now. I've become far more aware through life experience, age - seeing the negative effects of sexism, misogyny, inequality in the work place. It's made it obvious to me that to educate/teach our younger generation about feminism is of paramount importance, so that old/outdated views of women are not allowed to fester/develop. I've also seen the recent push-back against feminism from various groups, and I think that needs to be addressed and opposed by men, i.e. to take the time to explain to a friend or colleague who suggests that "feminism has gone too far", for example, why they are wrong. This has strengthened my stance on feminism and my desire to fight/argue against any anti-feminist rhetoric.

Are you a (pro-)feminist man? Together, let's increase visibility for why Feminism is for men too!
Share your perspective and speak to your fellow men.
11/10/2022 16:00
By murat goc-bilgin - 48yo from Turkey

men are the leading perpetrators of violence, especially gbv, and patriarchy is the source of gender inequalities. by following and practising feminist principles and methodologies, not only can men stop violence and inequalities but also they become better individuals, partners, fathers, and colleagues.

when men finally raise awareness and take action about gender inequalities and when they learn from women ans lgbti, they can help to stop violence ana inequalities and make better role models for future generations.

not exactly, up until my mid 30s, i was an average man, partly conscious about inequalites but unable to recognize how much i am part of the problem. by talking to my feminist friends and critically assessing my own behaviors, i came to think that men must be a part of the solution, too.

"I’ve really enjoyed reading other peoples opinions, it’s certainly a great learning platform. To see all these opinions on one page will definitely provoke a lot of thought."
Ben Bostridge
28/09/2022 18:56
By Christian - 43yo from Mexico

Feminism is relevant to men because people are people and if there are groups that start off with a disadvantage just for being what they are, then everyone should do everything they can to help and change that.

Feminism benefits men because empowered women on a level playing-field can be great role models and have a lot that men can learn from.

I've always embraced feminism. The women around me when I as growing up always spoke their minds and made sure, one way or another, they weren't left behind or pushed aside. To me, it's mind-blowing that there are men out there that deny and reject feminism. As I tend to look at people as exactly that, people, and not stick them in gender-based categories, I'm lost for words that we even have to talk about this.´In my world, this inequality based on gender wouldn't exist. Yes, it might sound idealistic, but I cannot comprehend how people would treat someone differently, because of their gender (or colour or height or accent or whatever!).

13/07/2022 20:23
By Dominic - 33yo from United Kingdom

We as men have a privellege not to see the harms of our actions within a patriarchal society, we get to choose if we engage or not. Feminism is many things, but for men, it can be a tool to learning. By understanding our own experiences and how we move in the world - how these movements impact the women around us, including those we know and love; we begin to see that the casual misogynistic behaviour, the power imbalances and the toxicity of much of the masculinities we see and experience, they affect us too. Patriarchy, often does not benefit the majority of men, but rather causes serious harm that usually gets played further out into the world through physical and emotional violence, against different genders adn within male communities. We are not hapless victims though, we have the ability to stand against it, and that is where feminism comes in, to teach and educate.

Feminism, and the grass roots work of many millions of women, holds a mirror to the systems that we live in and under and constantly seeks to challenge the personal and social harms that are caused, statistically, mostly by men. The benefit of feminism for men, is that it opens up pathways for us to do our own transformative work and take accountability for the harm that we have undoubtedly caused. Feminism can free us of the shackles of violent patriarchal masculinity, not only fostering a hopefully safer world for women, but allowing us to experience and share our emotions, thoughts and feelings fully as the complex beings we are. So many men I speak to are repressed, unhappy and afraid but cannot understand why. Feminism for me helps to show that there is a world beyond the macho bullshit that we are violently thrust into. Feminism offers freedom and equality for all genders.

In my heart yes. In my head, no. I have argued many stupid points in my life, including "not all men" and "why am I hated for just being born a man? I'm a nice guy." Unpicking my former self has been an experience. I have had to challenge my defensiveness and understand my place in the world through my many privelleges. It has taken me years to understand intersectional feminism, and I have argued against it, but I knew i had to challenge my thinking and learn further, and I'm very glad I have. It has been a difficult journey and by no means am I a perfect man nor a perfect feminist. The process is continual, learning does not stop. None of this would have been possible without the help of a very dear friend who always challenged me but also listened to my shit and helped unpack it. I am eternally grateful for her words, kindness and support. I hope to do the same for the men around me.

12/07/2022 09:05
By Oliver Biggs - 35yo from United Kingdom

Because women are fifty percent of the population and are our mother's, daughters, sisters, nieces, aunts, partners, lovers and friends. If we care at all about any of the women in our lives then how can we not care about feminism? Besides, living within a Patriarchal society causes harm to all of us, and feminism offers the path not only to the liberation of women, but of men.
Feminism helps us to educate and inform ourselves and realise the way in which society conditions us to think, feel and behave in a wide range of ways that are limiting and harmful for us and for the people around us. Feminism has the potential to liberate all of us from the unhelpful narratives about who we are and how we are meant to / allowed to be in the world.

It is much easier to tell yourself that you are a feminist than it is to really take account of the ways in which you have caused harm to others through the unconscious internalisation of patriarchy and its values. I feel like I am still coming to terms with the ways in which I have unintentionally caused harm in my own life. Setting up a mens group where we support each other to do this work has played a fundamentally important role in this journey.