Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Why do guys call me, buddy?

Dr. Autismo

Dr. Autismo

Admiral
★★★★★
Kind of a nitpick here, but sometimes I've noticed here and there is that some men I either, don't know too well or don't know at all, call me "buddy".
The meaning of the word buddy in the positive sense, would mean what the word means a close friend.
Thing is, I don't even know most of the guys that call me "buddy".
It'll be like: "thanks, buddy." or "sorry, buddy.".

10 minutes ago, I got back home with snacks and cigarettes from a small shop a minute from my place.
The guy at the counter spoke soft and polite, as a employee should to his customer, and he called me "buddy" twice.
It was like: "Here you go, buddy." when he gave me the paypad so I can pay via my card.
And like: "Thanks a lot, buddy." when I paid and gathers my snacks and cigarettes.

I don't even though the guy too well.
All I know is, he works at that shop and I've seen him there, sure, but I don't personally know him.
One time my card got stuck in the shops ATM and he had to open it up so he can retrieve it.
He's like, 40, he's bald, skinny, wears glasses and is tanned skin, probably arab descent or some shit.

its because they dont respect you, and see you as an inferior manlet that's harmless. Only a drunk abusive stepdad calls kids "buddy."

Have you ever in your life called a person that's taller and superior to you, 'buddy?' You just don't do that. You only call absolute bumbling weaklings 'buddy' because they are jesters. They are human hamsters that exist to waddle around and make superior people feel better about themselves

Probably means he sees you as lower than him physically slash mentally, it's a condescending term unless it's just a popular ethnik word to use. High chance of not being the latter if you're a manlet. :dafuckfeels:

I'm not a manlet.
well if you aren't a manlet, you obviously have some characteristic that makes you seem socially inferior to the cool kids that use 'buddy' to describe you-- probably your autism

i get this a lot too. makes me want to rip out their voice box.

they trying to be nice or get something from you?

well if you aren't a manlet, you obviously have some characteristic that makes you seem socially inferior to the cool kids that use 'buddy' to describe you-- probably your autism
I don't have a sign on my head saying I'm autistic, and my autism is not noticeable.
The only autistic thing about me is my lack of social skills and my lack of them is mostly because I was neglected by my family, growing up.

Last edited:
I don't have a sign on my head saying I'm autistic.
And my autism is not noticeable.
The only autistic thing about me is my lack of social skills and my lack of them is mostly because I was neglected by my family, growing up.
are the people who say it usually older? maybe they're saying it from an affectionate point of view... my experience though has been that the term 'buddy' almost always comes off as condescending no matter the tone.
It means the person in some way sees themselves as bigger than you i.e. big brother...
i dont understand it. ive never called anyone 'buddy'.

I think you are overthinking on this one. I dont think they intend to insult you with buddy

Kind of a nitpick here, but sometimes I've noticed here and there is that some men I either, don't know too well or don't know at all, call me "buddy".
The meaning of the word buddy in the positive sense, would mean what the word means a close friend.

10 minutes ago, I got back home with snacks and cigarettes from a small shop a minute from my place.
The guy at the counter spoke soft and polite, as a employee should to his customer, and he called me "buddy" twice.
It was like: "Here you go, buddy." when he gave me the paypad so I can pay via my card.
And like: "Thanks a lot, buddy." when I paid and gathers my snacks and cigarettes.

All I know is, he works at that shop and I've seen him there, sure, but I don't personally know him.
One time my card got stuck in the shops ATM and he had to open it up so he can retrieve it.
He's like, 40, he's bald, skinny, wears glasses and is tanned skin, probably arab descent or some shit.
they see you like a 12 year old brother

are the people who say it usually older? maybe they're saying it from an affectionate point of view... my experience though has been that the term 'buddy' almost always comes off as condescending no matter the tone.
It means the person in some way sees themselves as bigger than you i.e. big brother...
i dont understand it. ive never called anyone 'buddy'.
Yeah, they often are.
That guy in the shop looked 40, I'm still in my 20s.
I look kinda youngish sometimes too.

Buddy boyo is hamudi slang, We are just showing you its over!

me too wtf
dudes always calling me buddy or bud
girls always calling me honey even though im grown

What's next yer not really autistic. That's the last string left for why I might take you seriously.
I am actually on the spectrum,
Were you expecting me to be a manlet, even though I never said I was one?

its not a good thing to be called honey by a female. Women dont call guys they respect/ desire by that term. Ever.
It does sound rather condescending.

I am actually on the spectrum,
Were you expecting me to be a manlet, even though I never said I was one?
Yeah because manlets are more trustworthy sadly to say. But the autism I relate too. So I guess your half trustworthy

I call people here buddy so it’s probably nothing.

I get called that too. It’s so infuriating and demeaning. I AM A MAN NOT A BOY.

Call them buddy right back and see how fast it stops

I would say its a non-threatening and not condescending form of address but he probably wouldn't use it for someone he felt personally mogged by. It could depend where you are though. In Australia for example being called 'champ' is almost one of the biggest insults you can give someone.

Depends on context and location if they have a weird tone it could be them being condescending

Because they don't see you as a threat or respect you but it could also be their general way of referring to everyone they don't know. It doesn't even matter what the word is it can be used to condescend or uplift. That been said though the word "mate" from someone I'm not familiar with absolutely sends me in a bit of rage for a good few minutes especially at work.

I get called that too. It’s so infuriating and demeaning. I AM A MAN NOT A BOY.
Wait, when people call someone by buddy its the same as a boy? Legit question, english isn't my native.

When I travel to UK some people call me by buddy, I thought british people were more polite lol

Probably means he sees you as lower than him physically slash mentally, it's a condescending term unless it's just a popular ethnik word to use. High chance of not being the latter if you're a manlet. :dafuckfeels:

Yeah, it is a clear sign of disrespect. Even if this person is someone you've known for a bit. The best solution is to start saying it back in a confident and condescending tone, and to also assess whether or not you want to continue having this kind of issue regarding disrespect with whoever said it to you. You don't want to continue interacting with assholes who feel like they can disrespect you. It might lead to violence or just a negative, draining environment. But yes, some other posters on this thread are coping. "Buddy" (and even worse: "bud") is a disrespectful word used to address someone considered inferior or immature. Someone on here said that "mate" might also be considered the same as "buddy" but to me "mate" is like "bro", so it's not condescending.

Yeah, you wouldnt call your boss or buddy or someone you respect, as a manlet I get the occasional buddy, nothing i can do about it since i was born so short

Over buddy boyo. You don't command respect because you appear mentally disabled, relatively.

Idk

Yeah, it is a clear sign of disrespect. Even if this person is someone you've known for a bit. The best solution is to start saying it back in a confident and condescending tone, and to also assess whether or not you want to continue having this kind of issue regarding disrespect with whoever said it to you. You don't want to continue interacting with assholes who feel like they can disrespect you. It might lead to violence or just a negative, draining environment. But yes, some other posters on this thread are coping. "Buddy" (and even worse: "bud") is a disrespectful word used to address someone considered inferior or immature. Someone on here said that "mate" might also be considered the same as "buddy" but to me "mate" is like "bro", so it's not condescending.
exactly, never keep on interacting with dickheads.

I never got called buddy

its because they dont respect you, and see you as an inferior manlet that's harmless. Only a drunk abusive stepdad calls kids "buddy."

Have you ever in your life called a person that's taller and superior to you, 'buddy?' You just don't do that. You only call absolute bumbling weaklings 'buddy' because they are jesters. They are human hamsters that exist to waddle around and make superior people feel better about themselves
Brutal :blackpill:. There is something especially demeaning and belittling about that term. It's not a term of endearment or anything positive. It's neutral at the best, with the most charitable social interpretation.