Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Serious Why do Europeans name their girls after their ethnicity?

JudeoBiden

JudeoBiden

Jon Taliban
Brittany. Helen. Francine. What's up with these names? They mean Britain, Greece, and France, respectively, in their languages of origin. Imagine your name being the same as your ethnicity. What's your name? Britain. Where are you from? Britain. Wow, one fewer thing to remember! Isn't that convenient?

There are men who have "Islam" as their first name

Sounds good but

Brittany. Helen. Francine. What's up with these names? They mean Britain, Greece, and France, respectively, in their languages of origin. Imagine your name being the same as your ethnicity. What's your name? Britain. Where are you from? Britain. Wow, one fewer thing to remember! Isn't that convenient?
Correct me if im wrong but I don't think Brittany was ever a word used to refer to britian, it was a part of britian that was in modern day France
Screenshot 20240520 205916 Chrome

With that said though, there's a simple reason for it. Last names used to not exist, so when the concept of last names became a thing, one method of creating a last name was to make it a place you're from. So a man named Joe who lived in burgundy would be "Joe of Burgundy", simply being shortened to "Joe Burgundy". Another method was being the son of your dad's name. "Jameson" = "James' son". So "Bobby, son of James" would be shorted to "Bobby Jameson"

And tbh it's not nearly as weird as muslims naming their kids Muhammad or mexicans naming their kids jesus

With that said though, there's a simple reason for it. Last names used to not exist, so when the concept of last names became a thing, one method of creating a last name was to make it a place you're from. So a man named Joe who lived in burgundy would be "Joe of Burgundy", simply being shortened to "Joe Burgundy". Another method was being the son of your dad's name. "Jameson" = "James' son". So "Bobby, son of James" would be shorted to "Bobby Jameson"
huh, kind of interesting.

huh, kind of interesting.
Agreed. Everyone in my region with my last name can trace it back to one single family that arrived to Virginia on a boat in the 1600s, kinda neat. Your last name can tell you a lot about your history

Correct me if im wrong but I don't think Brittany was ever a word used to refer to britian, it was a part of britian that was in modern day France
View attachment 1163722

I'm talking about first names.

Everyone did that btw. The most natural naming scheme is the patronymic one. It was practiced long before Europe had writing. You'll see it all over the old testament. You only have to know your own genealogy, and by sharing genealogies, you can figure out your most recent common ancestor with someone else.

But since you bring this up, what's up with people naming their girls with last names? Madison, MacKenzie, etc. These are patronyms even. People are naming their daughters "son of" something :feelskek:

I'm talking about first names.

Everyone did that btw. The most natural naming scheme is the patronymic one. It was practiced long before Europe had writing. You'll see it all over the old testament. You only have to know your own genealogy, and by sharing genealogies, you can figure out your most recent common ancestor with someone else.

But since you bring this up, what's up with people naming their girls with last names? Madison, MacKenzie, etc. These are patronyms even. People are naming their daughters "son of" something :feelskek:
I never said it was just a European thing

As for why people use these as first names, that's a good question but I have a guess as to why. If I had to guess, I think it's probably because people nowadays simply don't really realize what the origins of the names are and therefore dont take it into account. For example, parents don't realize "Brittney" originated from "Brittany", they just think it's a nice sounding and completely arbitrary name for their daughter. Honestly I never even realized the correlation between the name Brittney/Britney and the location of Brittany until I read your post

When you take into account the origins of the name and the fact its being used as a first name, I suppose it does seem a bit strange, but honestly it's not that deep. A parent simply heard the name "Madison" one day and thought to themself "that would be a good name for my daughter"

I suppose that has some merit to it. I am tired of foids being given male names: Tyler, Joey, Erin (Aaron), etc…