Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

SuicideFuel what is the point of memories

TheNEET

TheNEET

mentally crippled by sleepoverless teen years
★★★★★
you can't win with memories
if they're good, you miss the old times and get sad
if they're bad, you cringe, get anxious and get sad
it's even worse bc I often remember the general idea, but I can't remember the exact details
the memories of my childhood are like a movie I've watched once a long time ago and can only remember the gist of it
it's pure suifuel, it makes me anxious about the passage of time
thousands of my ancestors have left no record of themselves (at best a picture or a document), I can barely remember the faces or personalities of my dead grandparents, so the memory of them will die with my parents, soon I and everything I hold dear will join them and we'll be forgotten forever
even if you manage to make giant impact on the humanity, the memory of you will get twisted, deteriorated and eventually you'll be either forgotten completely or maybe people will have a vague idea of who you were
and even then it doesn't matter bc you'll be dead
time is evil

I liked your post but not the video you linked tbh.

you can't win with memories
if they're good, you miss the old times and get sad
if they're bad, you cringe, get anxious and get sad
it's even worse bc I often remember the general idea, but I can't remember the exact details
the memories of my childhood are like a movie I've watched once a long time ago and can only remember the gist of it
Would you actually want to remember all of your childhood though? There is very little about my childhood that I feel better off for remembering, in fact it's the other way around, in that thinking about my youth often just makes me feel like shit.

One thing that helped me was the realization that my memory of an experience is not the same thing as the event which originally formed the memory. When you recall something, it's essentially like reliving it all over again, usually with less detail, and it's often quite a bit different from what actually happened. The process seems to be more like creating an experience as opposed to retrieving an accurate record, since your brain has to reconstruct the memory every time it's recalled. This can slowly alter the memory the more times that you do this, and the way that you interpret the memory is influenced by your current self, rather than being the same as what you would've thought and felt at the time of the memory's creation.

You can manipulate this to make otherwise neutral memories better, by intentionally changing details of them, and then recalling them over a period of days/weeks/months. This won't help with bad memories though, since you can't will yourself to forget something, and consciously trying to do so is actually counterproductive.
thousands of my ancestors have left no record of themselves (at best a picture or a document), I can barely remember the faces or personalities of my dead grandparents, so the memory of them will die with my parents, soon I and everything I hold dear will join them and we'll be forgotten forever
even if you manage to make giant impact on the humanity, the memory of you will get twisted, deteriorated and eventually you'll be either forgotten completely or maybe people will have a vague idea of who you were
and even then it doesn't matter bc you'll be dead
time is evil
Tbh I want to be forgotten by the world, my own existence embarrasses me.

In the end, they all fade away.

its to torment you, like ghosts of the past