Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion Truth

hierophant

hierophant

I would thou could'st
-
You hear it all the time, but now we ask what is truth and the old joke you can't handle the truth! But I have some definitions which may turn the tide of this affair and give you somethin to think about. I encourage you to also converse amongst yourself and see if you can find the answer.

The correspondence theory of truth — that whatever corresponds to observable reality is true.

The coherence theory of truth — that claims are true if they follow logically and coherently from a set of axioms (or intermediate propositions).

The consensus theory of truth — that what is true is what everyone agrees to be true.

The pragmatic theory of truth — that what is true is what is useful to you, or beneficial for you.

Stewart Crane definition of truth — Truth is an act or representation of that under consideration which has correlation and relationship to all things; which has ever been in the past, universally in the present and will withhold without error in the future.

Jesus Christ definition of truth — Truth is that which does not change.

Mark Passio definition of truth — truth is that which has occurred.

anonymous — truth is that which is objective and not subjective.

You hear it all the time, but now we ask what is truth and the old joke you can't handle the truth! But I have some definitions which may turn the tide of this affair and give you somethin to think about. I encourage you to also converse amongst yourself and see if you can find the answer.

The correspondence theory of truth — that whatever corresponds to observable reality is true.

The coherence theory of truth — that claims are true if they follow logically and coherently from a set of axioms (or intermediate propositions).

The consensus theory of truth — that what is true is what everyone agrees to be true.

The pragmatic theory of truth — that what is true is what is useful to you, or beneficial for you.

Stewart Crane definition of truth — Truth is an act or representation of that under consideration which has correlation and relationship to all things; which has ever been in the past, universally in the present and will withhold without error in the future.

Jesus Christ definition of truth — Truth is that which does not change.

Mark Passio definition of truth — truth is that which has occurred.

anonymous — truth is that which is objective and not subjective.
what about foundationalist model of truth

Do you have the definition? If so, post it and I will add it!

> foundationalism, in epistemology, the view that some beliefs can justifiably be held by inference from other beliefs, which themselves are justified directly—e.g., on the basis of rational intuition or sense perception. Beliefs about material objects or about the theoretical entities of science, for example, are not regarded as basic or foundational in this way but are held to require inferential support. Foundationalists have typically recognized self-evident truths and reports of sense-data as basic, in the sense that they do not need support from other beliefs. Such beliefs thus provide the foundations on which the edifice of knowledge can properly be built. See also coherentism.

Truth for me is what happened without any bias

> foundationalism, in epistemology, the view that some beliefs can justifiably be held by inference from other beliefs, which themselves are justified directly

The coherence theory of truthThat some beliefs can justifiably be held by inference from other beliefs, which themselves are justified directly

Do you think this is a good way to define it or no?

the truth is that this world is going to be destroyed by human apes

any examples?
If you are subjective, you will talk about an event the way you saw it, from your perspective, with the elements you know at your disposition. Or you will talk about it, lie about one or several things, in order to protect something or someone.

Either way you'll be missing elements about this event, whether it's on purpose or not, and these elements potentially can change your point of view.

If several people are talking about the same event, we can take bits here and there in order to recreate a storytelling of what can be considered as the absolute and definitive truth.

The truth has to be objective. The version of events of one single individual, with all the bias and missing elements it has, can't be considered as a truth.

And unless you're omniscient, no one can pretend to have the absolute truth of things.