Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

TMS: the true cure for depression

Fontaine

Fontaine

Overlord
★★★★★
I'm making this topic partly for @Mainländer

What is TMS?

Transcranial magnetic therapy is a technique developed between the 1980s and 2010s, originally to treat Parkinson and other disorders, that was validated by the FDA to treat depression very recently. It consists in sending magnetic waves to your brain through a big electromagnet placed on your skull.

How does it work?

The waves create an electrical current and this electricity activates neurons or modifies synapses. We don't know exactly how it works.

Is it safe?

There's no evidence of side effects beyond a slight headache. I can personally attest that both my mood and intelligence have improved by an order of magnitude after TMS. I have not lost any memory: in fact, the exact opposite has happened. I now remember very old shit from my past that I thought I had never memorized.

What are the effects?

You'll feel a lot better. Just imagine having the mood and life outlook of your childhood again.

Does it work for everyone?

It apparently didn't work for @The End.

How exactly goes a TMS session?

A big insulated magnetic coil is put on your left brow. Then electricity is pumped in the coil at low voltage by a specialized generator like NeuroStar. The magnetic field goes unimpeded through your skull and generates electricity in your left frontal lobe. The feeling is one of a small hammer hitting your skull repeatedly. It's not painful but uncomfortable. It lasts 20 minutes.

Generally, they do 20 sessions in total.

In my experience, you need at least 5 sessions to begin to feel effects, and two weeks after completion of treatment to begin to feel completely cured.

Where to go for TMS?

Find a specialized TMS clinic on the internet and go to them directly. They have their own psychiatrists to assess if you need TMS. Many public psychiatric hospitals now also have TMS equipment.

Isn't it just a bunch of ballooney?

When I did it, they sometimes directed the coil at my right brow to test the penetration. It caused my left hand to contract involuntarily. It felt like a weird science fiction or horror movie. So it definitely has a stimulating effect on the brain. It makes neurons fire.

Many studies have confirmed its efficacy for depression.

Last edited:
It apparently didn't work for @Creep.
*pic of man hanging*

:lul::lul::lul::lul:

You managed to make a likely depressed man laugh.

But seriously though, thanks for your concern and for giving me all the information I need that thoroughly, Fontaine. I will muster all my motivation to pursue the goal of doing it. Looks WAY better than conventional meds and talk therapy.

Also, I have to go to sleep, but I'll show up again tomorrow if the internet isn't over.

*pic of man hanging*

:feelskek:
But seriously though, thanks for your concern and for giving me all the information I need that thoroughly, Fontaine. I will muster all my motivation to pursue the goal of doing it. Looks WAY better than conventional meds and talk therapy.

Also, I have to go to sleep, but I'll show up again tomorrow if the internet isn't over.
It is way better. For starters, it is a permanent cure. It is also far less humiliating for males than "talk therapy" with a dumb female. It feels more like a sci-fi brain hack than a medical treatment.

Last edited:
*pic of man hanging*

You managed to make a likely depressed man laugh.

lul I was so confused at first on why he tagged me since I never did tms. I am far less depressed than I was when I first joined this site, but i ain't changing this avi because multiple newcels have called it "legendary"

lul I was so confused at first on why he tagged me since I never did tms. I am far less depressed than I was when I first joined this site, but i ain't changing this avi because multiple newcels have called it "legendary"
Sorry, I mixed you up with @The End :feelstastyman:

How expensive is it?

How expensive is it?
In France it was 80€/session. So quite expensive (almost 2000€ total) but not more than a conventional RDV with a psychiatrist.

You can get it for free in psychiatric hospitals of some countries now, but there's no guarantee about how long they'll make you stay there.

Lobotomy will make you senseless towards what's affecting you.
You are treating the symptoms and not the cause.
I don't have enough education on the topic, so correct me if I am wrong.

Lobotomy will make you senseless towards what's affecting you.
You are treating the symptoms and not the cause.
I don't have enough education on the topic, so correct me if I am wrong.
Well, for someone who was "lobotomized", many here seem to think I'm pretty smart.

The voltage is too low to harm neurons. Neurons use electricity themselves to communicate. I do agree that the only difference between this and an electric chair is the voltage, though.

As for "addressing the symptoms", it's more complicated than that. While depression is almost always caused by problems in your life, past a certain point, your depression itself creates problems in your life. When you are depressed and moody, you tend to get angry at people over nothing and in turn you anger them, for instance.

Last edited:
It didn't work for me, but go ahead and try it. People'll do just about anything to ease the pain of depression. Hence drugs and suicide.

It can work for depression caused by chemical imbalances, does not help if your life is down the shitter and you hate yourself. Unless you truly do not know why your depressed it won't work.

Well, for someone who was "lobotomized", many here seem to think I'm pretty smart.

The voltage is too low to harm neurons. Neurons use electricity themselves to communicate. I do agree that the only difference between this and an electric chair is the voltage, though.

As for "addressing the symptoms", it's more complicated than that. While depression is almost always caused by problems in your life, past a certain point, your depression itself creates problems in your life. When you are depressed and moody, you tend to get angry at people over nothing and in turn you anger them, for instance.
Thanks for the info, I'll look into it some day.

It didn't work for me, but go ahead and try it. People'll do just about anything to ease the pain of depression. Hence drugs and suicide.
You did say that you have noticed your depressive episodes were now less intense, though.

tms is a funny way of spelling rope

You did say that you have noticed your depressive episodes were now less intense, though.
Yeah, yeah... It's hard to say for sure what caused what. Different circumstances and drugs also have effects. But, I'll give TMS some credit just for the heck of it. Maybe like a 7% improvement? That's pretty good.

@Fontaine I talked a bit with my father about looking forward to this treatment but the reaction was just like expected, he shrugged it off and told me I don't need any magnets on my brain but rather discipline and work. He's an oldschool type, the type of man who was in the army, tough, unpolite and focused 100% on practical, immediate things instead of abstract ideas and concepts like we discuss all the time here.

But I insisted and he said ok, maybe we can see something after you take care of your main problems. I indeed have other stuff to treat here, I just hope I can find TMS in the surroundings here because I don't drive. But if all comes to worst I'll just have to make it all by myself, even though my German is meh and I don't have the ability my father has to understand and solve all the bureaucracy here. Without him I'd never get around here, for example they wanted to make tax level 6 for me, my father was the one who discovered it and changed to level 1, we had to drive around and talk to people from the government so fucking much. Germany is bureaucratic hell. And if the health care doesn't pay at least a part like it was in your case it'll be tough.

Thanks for the recommendation my goy