Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

The psychology of likability and trust

M

Mudkip

Recruit
★★
A quick dive into the human psyche regarding a person’s face, trust, likability amongst other things.

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2006/08/22/snap-judgments-decide-faces-character-psychologist-finds

I recommend you guys read the whole article but here are some quote from professor Alex Todorov. A Princeton psychology professor.

We decide very quickly whether a person possesses many of the traits we feel are important, such as likeability and competence, even though we have not exchanged a single word with them. It appears that we are hard-wired to draw these inferences in a fast, unreflective way.

People respond intuitively to faces so rapidly that our reasoning minds may not have time to influence the reaction -- and that our intuitions about attraction and trust are among those we form the fastest.

What we found was that, if given more time, people’s fundamental judgment about faces did not change

People often consider attractiveness as the main factor in face judgement but tbh I think some particular traits that are not really aesthetic might have a positive influence on other aspects of life.

How many dictators or successful businessmen are handsome ? Not so many tbh.

Their physical traits make them look convincing, authoritarian or serious, and that may be one of the reason of their success in their particular branch.

People often consider attractiveness as the main factor in face judgement but tbh I think some particular traits that are not really aesthetic might have a positive influence on other aspects of life.

How many dictators or successful businessmen are handsome ? Not so many tbh.

Their physical traits make them look convincing, authoritarian or serious, and that may be one of the reason of their success in their particular branch.
I do believe there are some authoritative traits in people. I had biology teacher with those traits. I just looked at him and felt the instinct to not mess around or not to step out of line.

Users who are viewing this thread

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6
Back