Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Cope Stephen Hawking claims there is no afterlife, it is just wishful thinking. Do any of you guys disagree?

Logic55

Logic55

Blackpill Philosopher
★★★★★

No Afterlife

Hawking’s views on the afterlife were similarly grounded in science. He believed that the concept of an afterlife was nothing more than wishful thinking. In his final book, “Brief Answers to the Big Questions,” he wrote,

"No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization, there's probably no Heaven and no afterlife, either…I think belief in an afterlife is just wishful thinking. There is no reliable evidence for it, and it flies in the face of everything we know in science."3

That said, Hawking does not dismiss anyone else's beliefs to impose his own. "We are each free to believe what we want and it's my view that the simplest explanation is there is no God," he explained.

Images   2023 09 26T155301427

bruce-lee-laugh.gif

In other words its over

I agree with hawKANG

people that believe in afterlife are copers. Even of there is something spiritual in this world it could be anything so no point in subscribing to any belief

He did have an affair with someone whilst married

More and more I’m thinking these science types are literally retarded. How could you possibly know something that is impossible to know?

I hope there's no afterlife. I don't want to spend eternity doing nothing. If these is, I hope chads and foids burn in hell and suffer from isolation for eternity.

I'm a staunch materialist; so yes, that idea is completely negated by that.

And I do not have the resolve within me to go on for another day, much less an eternity. I'd most likely try to find a way to end myself in the afterlife as well.

it's not for everyone

More and more I’m thinking these science types are literally retarded. How could you possibly know something that is impossible to know?
They don't. It's equally irrational to think that you know that there's nothing, as it is to have faith that there is.

The only rational position with respect to these topics is agnosticism.

They don't. It's equally irrational to think that you know that there's nothing, as it is to have faith that there is.

The only rational position with respect to these topics is agnosticism.

the existence of an afterlife isn’t like the existence of a God where it can’t be definitively proven or refuted
It's literally the same epistemological problem, you retarded fucking cuck.

There’s hundreds of pages written on proving this.
You should write and contribute some papers in neuroscience too, since you've got it all figured out.

Unless you want to claim nothing can be disproven, it isn’t. The non-existence of an afterlife is the immediate logical consequence of consciousness being created by the brain. Because if the brain is destroyed then so is the consciousness. It’s like this website, if you destroy the servers it runs on it stops existing.
Your ontology is materialist, so of course you're presupposing that the source of consciousness is the brain. Non-materialists (who are mostly people of religious persuasions) don't have this presupposition. They have the one where the soul is its source.

Putting aside all of that, regardless of which religious tradition you follow, an afterlife means that you will have another life, either in another realm or in this same one, in another body or even in another form. It doesn't mean that you will live again in the same, zombified body. Even your own Hinduist tradition says that you will be reincarnated in a form that may not be human. :feelstastyman:

It's the same class of problem: Proving/disproving something beyond the physical and observable. It's not a question for science, because it isn't the correct tool. In fact there is no known tool, which is why people resort to faith.

Last edited:
Nah he's wrong imo. Science isn't everything. Western arrogance tells you that science is everything but thats far from the truth.

If anything science is totally irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Science is only relevant to modern human beings but theoretically, a more advanced form of human being in the next stage of evolution will probably put about 10% priority to science.

Consciousness is center to everything.

If a human being dies its no different than a plant dying.

Theoretically a continuous thunderstorm at some far flung exoplanet can sprout up and house consciousness but when that severe continuous thunderstorm ends, that particular housing of consciousness also goes away. And if another continuous thunderstorm occurs on that planet consciousness can occur again but in a different configuration and different way of self perceiving of the universe. Either way consciousness is still there. What consciousness ultimately is I don't know. String theory makes mathematical accommodations according to the known energy and the laws of physics that we know but I think consciousness is far more fundamental than that.

The belief that Heaven exist, and that it doesn't exist, are both based on faith.

Which is why I hate when Atheist and Religious retards speak with such confidence about either.

We do not know. We will only know when we die.
If it doesn't exist, it won't matter. You will be dead anyway.

But I do agree on the wishful thinking bit, and that 99,9% of religious people, are ONLY religious because of the existence or possibility of Hell.

No one wants to go to Hell.

That’s why I said “There’s hundreds of pages written on proving [the source of consciousness is the brain]”. Go look up any scientific response to the afterlife, like the book “The Myth of an Afterlife: The Case against Life after Death” and they’ll give you dozens of different pieces of neuroscientific evidence that demonstrate every aspect of consciousness can be shown to objectively originate from / be manipulated by physical events in the brain. You thinking the mind is seated in a soul or something non-material is because you don’t understand how the brain produces consciousness, similar to how someone who doesn’t know how computers work couldn’t imagine how a website comes into existence

Consciousness is something that can be closely observed and studied. That is why you can’t compare it to a belief in God, because God can’t be observed unlike consciousness.
Consciousness is one of the biggest unsolved problems that continues to remain an unknown. It's unobservable; you can't look inside someone's skull and determine their real-time conscious state. All of the EEG and fMRI readings won't tell you what the person is consciously experiencing, outside of the superficial (levels of hormones, regions active etc.). It also doesn't matter how many neuroscience papers are written on it wrt to the question of an afterlife. That you're also assuming that I don't know anything about the subject is the sweet cherry on top of this retarded shit cake.

I'll reiterate for you. After that, if you don't get it, it's a skill issue.

The argument is that the question of the afterlife is different from the question of God's existence on the basis that we "know" that the brain is the source of consciousness. This view is anchored in physicalism - the philosophical position that all that there exists is the material world and that anything outside of the physical is not real. From this view, consciousness ceases to exist upon death, so naturally, the question of an afterlife is an open and shut case, since it doesn't appear to persist in any observable (empirical) way. The question of an afterlife in theological traditions, however, is centered primarly on the concept of the soul, which is generally defined as an immaterial, non-physical, non-observable object that persists after death and moves on to another plane of existence where it is incarnated in a heaven or hell.

The question of God is also one of the immaterial and non-physical. By the physicalist position, both of these questions are logically equivalent, since both the soul and any posited god are both in the realm of the non-physical, and thus not observable. It's internally inconsistent and nonsensical to claim (with certainty) that there is no afterlife because we can't observe consciousness beyond the brain, while simultaneously claiming (with uncertainty) that we can't know of the existence of any god because we can't observe such a thing - aka, for the exact same reasons.

Derp.

and requires a nonsense philosophy explanation.
This is the part where you must stfu and educate yourself on the philosophy. If not, go back to getting pegged or whatever it is you cucks like to do.

Uh, no. Resurrection isn’t the same thing as an afterlife.

“The afterlife or life after death is a purported existence in which the essential part of an individual's stream of consciousness or identitycontinues to exist after the death of their physical body”

Resurrection or anastasis is the concept of coming back to life after death. In a number of religions, a dying-and-rising god is a deity which dies and is resurrected. Reincarnation is a similar process hypothesized by other religions, which involves the same person or deity coming back to another body. Disappearance of a body is another similar, but distinct, belief in some religions.”
These are all semantics. It doesn't matter how you distinguish these differences. The point is that an afterlife is meant to be something you can't observe and therefore must conclude - as a physicalist - that the claimed phenomenon is in the realm of the non-physical.

Users who are viewing this thread

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6
Back