Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

JFL Soyntist mad his research got quoted by inkwells

Lv99_BixNood

Lv99_BixNood

fascel
★★★★★

The manosphere claims its worldview is grounded in science, specifically the discipline of evolutionary psychology. That’s my discipline — I am an evolutionary psychologist and associate professor at UC Santa Barbara, the home of evolutionary psychology. In fact, it turns out incels have coopted some of my research to justify their ideology...

For example, incels maintain a wiki page of scientific citations they claim support their worldview — an annotated bibliography of misogyny. In one case, in a sort of Russian nesting doll of misrepresentation, the incel wiki quotes a paper citing a study of mine as demonstrating that women prefer dominant men — which they further twist into the incel notion that women actually prefer violent men as romantic partners.

Reading this entry, I thought, “That’s odd, I don’t remember ever publishing on dominance preferences — do the incels know my work better than I do?” No. I double-checked: That study didn’t even mention dominance preferences.

Curiously overlooked in this whole wiki section on women’s preferences is the fact that kindness is repeatedly found to be among the most desired qualities in large-scale, cross-cultural studies of mate preferences.

This is just one example. Peering into the manosphere has been like walking through a funhouse mirror version of my science. The manosphere view of evolutionary psychology is distorted, filtered, selective, and embellished…

At the end of the day, incels attempt to draw from evolutionary theory a power it does not have. Evolution is not destiny. It is a powerful tool for explaining how we came to be who we are today, but it cannot tell us who we should be today or who we can be tomorrow. In fact, we can leverage an understanding of our evolved psychology to create the world we want to live in. The manosphere interprets my science to mean that love is impossible — but a major focus of my lab is helping people form happy, enduring relationships...

If I could teach the young men flicking through passport bro videos anything about evolutionary psychology, it would be that believing evolution is important for explaining human behavior need not commit you to a regressive worldview. Anyone who tells you otherwise is selling ideology, not science.

:soy::soy::soy:

Can't take it back now

Foids prefer kindness, that is why they constantly say being nice is bad

Cringe loser scientist thinking humans are above evo psyche.

World is ruled by petty egos.

Can anybody find the specific paper he's talking about? I'm too lazy but I do wanna see what he wrote. Bitches do prefer dominance.

Can anybody find the specific paper he's talking about? I'm too lazy but I do wanna see what he wrote. Bitches do prefer dominance.

thanks will give some of the studies a read later

He's not bad at shifting the goalposts when it suits him, any researcher should be honored when their work is cited

You don't studies to know bitches will settle with abusive partners when you have crime statistics, specifically domestic abuse ones.

At this rate, they'll force the authors of studies confirming the obvious fact shorter and uglier looking people have it harder in life than more attractive people to recant their findings, because it aligns with 'incel ideology' when it's just observing basic reality.

Crazy that scientists think humans are above nature. As if we're magical demigods or something

Also "soyentist" is my new favorite word :feelshaha:

“Evolution is not destiny”

Lol. Your genes are absolutely your destiny. Psychologists are quacks. Just people too stupid to become Psychiatrists.

Cringe loser scientist thinking humans are above evo psyche.
Maybe you all will realize one day the whole shitshow that is “modern soyience” is just about protecting modernist faggot worldview and not about investigating reality or truth.

Crazy that scientists think humans are above nature. As if we're magical demigods or something

Also "soyentist" is my new favorite word :feelshaha:
Darwinism is bs and it was only used as a way to de-spiritualize humans. That’s why they forget about it when it goes against the libshit narrative

Darwinism is bs and it was only used as a way to de-spiritualize humans. That’s why they forget about it when it goes against the libshit narrative
Darwinism isn't modern it's just common sense.

Science now starts with a view to give credibility for, and works it's way backwards to try prove it

I agree. The promotion of evolution through natural selection has always been ideological. Its most fervent promoters are often its most fervent deniers. The author of the article above is a perfect example, he’s pretty much debunking his original research.

The mainstream will soon abandon natural selection and evopsych as they are becoming popular amongst right-wing men to describe women