Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion Should I learn German or French?

What should I learn

• French

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • German

Votes: 28 66.7%

• Total voters
German tho its a bitch to learn

I speak German but if you must learn a language, chose between Spanish, Arabic or Japanese as they are among the big languages in the world and they are often not good at English. Germans are better at English than you will become at German.

I’ve taken french for 4 years
brutal tbh
I speak German but if you must learn a language, chose between Spanish, Arabic or Japanese as they are among the big languages in the world and they are often not good at English. Germans are better at English than you will become at German.
the options are German and French since thats what other academia sources we have are in.
German tho its a bitch to learn
thats what I've heard as well tbh

Last edited:
Neither of them. Why would you do it if you have no reason to? It isnt fun jfl boring imo

Neither of them. Why would you do it if you have no reason to? It isnt fun jfl boring imo
I literally do have a reason though. Its required for graduate school.

I literally do have a reason though. Its required for graduate school.
Oh its just that you asked which one so didnt seem important. I guess go for one that you think you might use in the future.

Oh its just that you asked which one so didnt seem important. I guess go for one that you think you might use in the future.
technically I have to learn both but I heard its easy to get away with just knowing one

Thinking about learning french

Both have roughly same difficulty for grammar(maybe German can be considered to be slightly harder with case system). French has a much easier vocabulary and German has a much easier pronunciation(french has both nasty nasal sounds and unnecessarily complex writing system). I personally found both to be overall equally difficult/easy though there is some research that suggests that German takes slightly more time to master for an average English speaker than French. That being said about usefulness:
Both languages have gargantuan corpus of historically important, universally acknowledged, well known works of literature, philosophy etc.
Lots of research is being published in both languages, both of them will be helpful for academic purposes
Germany is being spoken by roughly 100 million people in the center of Europe; meanwhile French is spoken by a lot people in Africa as well. Overall slightly more people speak French.
While both of them are being dominated by Anglo-American culture; cultural influence of Germany has significantly diminished following the catastrophes in the early 20th century, French as well is a shell of its former glory in the 19th century and before but overall French is more culturally influential nowadays.
Most Germans know English well, and are eager to speak it while French people generally aren't very competent in speaking English, neither are they so willing. You can survive a trip to Germany with English but same may not be said about French. That being said if you intend to live on any of those countries for a prolonged amount of time you will need to learn the language regardless.
How important they would be for business/work would depend on where you live. If you live in EU most likely German will be more useful. I think French would be more useful in Burgerland but I am not sure don't take my word for this.
Those are all the factors I can think of, base your choice depending on your desires/needs.
I personally liked German more, I liked the language, I liked how it is written as it is spoken, I liked German literature more. That was before I said fuck it and LDARmaxxed anyway. But French was cool too.

Both have roughly same difficulty for grammar(maybe German can be considered to be slightly harder with case system). French has a much easier vocabulary and German has a much easier pronunciation(french has both nasty nasal sounds and unnecessarily complex writing system). I personally found both to be overall equally difficult/easy though there is some research that suggests that German takes slightly more time to master for an average English speaker than French. That being said about usefulness:
Both languages have gargantuan corpus of historically important, universally acknowledged, well known works of literature, philosophy etc.
Lots of research is being published in both languages, both of them will be helpful for academic purposes
Germany is being spoken by roughly 100 million people in the center of Europe; meanwhile French is spoken by a lot people in Africa as well. Overall slightly more people speak French.
While both of them are being dominated by Anglo-American culture; cultural influence of Germany has significantly diminished following the catastrophes in the early 20th century, French as well is a shell of its former glory in the 19th century and before but overall French is more culturally influential nowadays.
Most Germans know English well, and are eager to speak it while French people generally aren't very competent in speaking English, neither are they so willing. You can survive a trip to Germany with English but same may not be said about French. That being said if you intend to live on any of those countries for a prolonged amount of time you will need to learn the language regardless.
How important they would be for business/work would depend on where you live. If you live in EU most likely German will be more useful. I think French would be more useful in Burgerland but I am not sure don't take my word for this.
Those are all the factors I can think of, base your choice depending on your desires/needs.
I personally liked German more, I liked the language, I liked how it is written as it is spoken, I liked German literature more. That was before I said fuck it and LDARmaxxed anyway. But French was cool too.
very useful answer ngl thank you for taking the time to type that all out.

sind beides schöne Sprachen

German is more superior. I plan to learn German someday, I currently speak only english and spanish

I have studied both, and both are pretty good languages to learn tbh. If you live in Europe I advise you to learn German since it's widely spoken in Europe and is official in the EU's powerhouse of Germany. French isn't that useful to learn I believe, except if you live in Belgium, Canada,Africa or North America. From my experience, they're equally hard to learn and pronounce. Both language contain front-rounded vowels and r-sounds, unlike English. As for grammar, French verbs are more complicated than the German verbs while the adjectives, nouns and pronouns of German are more intricate because of their form ( their form changes depending on how they are used in a sentence) . The French vocabulary is easier to learn than German.

(Also sorry if something doesn't make sense, I'm writing this in a hurry)

French is pussy shit. German is nice

German has more practical use, but I would learn French since they have better literature.

German has more practical use, but I would learn French since they have better literature.
oh really? like what? I can't think of that much french literature right now that is only in french.
I have studied both, and both are pretty good languages to learn tbh. If you live in Europe I advise you to learn German since it's widely spoken in Europe and is official in the EU's powerhouse of Germany. French isn't that useful to learn I believe, except if you live in Belgium, Canada,Africa or North America. From my experience, they're equally hard to learn and pronounce. Both language contain front-rounded vowels and r-sounds, unlike English. As for grammar, French verbs are more complicated than the German verbs while the adjectives, nouns and pronouns of German are more intricate because of their form ( their form changes depending on how they are used in a sentence) . The French vocabulary is easier to learn than German.

(Also sorry if something doesn't make sense, I'm writing this in a hurry)
makes sense tbh

oh really? like what? I can't think of that much french literature right now that is only in french.
Well I always prefer reading literature in its original language, I speak a couple of languages and there have been books that I hated in English that I reread in their original form and absolutely loved. I’d like to learn French for the sake of reading Descartes, Rousseau and Voltaire in their original form. Same reason I’m starting to learn Latin as I see far more value in reading Caesar’s commentaries in his original tongue than in the English translation, I want to actually see the syntax exactly as it was intended when these guys started writing it, a true snapshot of history.

Well I always prefer reading literature in its original language, I speak a couple of languages and there have been books that I hated in English that I reread in their original form and absolutely loved. I’d like to learn French for the sake of reading Descartes, Rousseau and Voltaire in their original form. Same reason I’m starting to learn Latin as I see far more value in reading Caesar’s commentaries in his original tongue than in the English translation, I want to actually see the syntax exactly as it was intended when these guys started writing it, a true snapshot of history.
true, things are usually translated slightly different than the original which can really fuck around with how you interpret it.

The language that you will use more