Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Media Serial Experiments Lain

TheBasedCel

TheBasedCel

not a clown but an entire circus
-
@ShadowTheEdgehog So what did I just watch? The anime is quite confusing in that there is no point of anything in it it's just a random cluster or maybe you need to be autistic to understand? Wouldn't recommend it to new weebcels, I had high hopes for it since psychological and mystery are my favourite genres. No idea why it's so high rated, anyone can explain?

Hmm, it's old, I couldn't get past the first episode, seemed kinda retarded.

Weebcels, getting horny over the female character(s) back in the day over rated it possibly?

Last edited:
seemed kinda retarded
forced myself to watch expecting it will get more entertaining but it never did it actually got worse, prob would be rated way worse if the main characer wasn't a female

You need higher iq to understand.

First of, it was very ahead of it's time in it's depiction of the internet. Mainly because Japan was also ahead of the west when it came to stuff like imageboards. For most people, lain isnt as much about the rather cryptic story as it is about the overall aesthetic of the show.
There many recognizable unique scenes and sounds, like the humming of the electricity lines, the sounds-scapes they used to represent the flux of data...

It's very relatable, especially to people who grew up with the early internet.

Lain isn't about sex appeal, it's about the mysticism of a new area, the explosion of the internet as a vast, unexplored space. Many anime from the time period play with similar ideas, most notably of course, Ghost in the Shell.

Tl;DR yes you have to have a certain mindset to enjoy the show, maybe borderline autistic. It's an age thing, I suppose. I remember when the internet was still vastly different.

One time I was browsing a fairly professional/mainstream website and suddenly all this guro shit popped up. Like girls cut in half with chainsaws and shit. That would never happen today. That kind of internet is dead, and lain serves as a reminder of that time period.

Last edited:
I can't comprehend this

You need higher iq to understand.
autism
First of, it was very ahead of it's time in it's depiction of the internet. Mainly because Japan was also ahead of the west when it came to stuff like imageboards. For most people, lain isnt as much about the rather cryptic story as it is about the overall aesthetic of the show.
There many recognizable unique scenes and sounds, like the humming of the electricity lines, the sounds-scapes they used to represent the flux of data...

It's very relatable, especially to people who grew up with the early internet.

Lain isn't about sex appeal, it's about the mysticism of a new area, the explosion of the internet as a vast, unexplored space. Many anime from the time period play with similar ideas, most notably of course, Ghost in the Shell.

Tl;DR yes you have to have a certain mindset to enjoy the show, maybe borderline autistic. It's an age thing, I suppose. I remember when the internet was still vastly different.

One time I was browsing a fairly professional/mainstream website and suddenly all this guro shit popped up. Like girls cut in half with chainsaws and shit. That would never happen today. That kind of internet is dead, and lain serves as a reminder of that time period.
Since we take technology for granted now maybe it had a different effect 20 years ago, I agree that it has to be an age thing. Gonna watch ghost in the shell soon but not sure if I should watch the original or 2.0. Idk why I never watched it.

@ShadowTheEdgehog So what did I just watch? The anime is quite confusing in that there is no point of anything in it it's just a random cluster or maybe you need to be autistic to understand? Wouldn't recommend it to new weebcels, I had high hopes for it since psychological and mystery are my favourite genres. No idea why it's so high rated, anyone can explain?

Its anime about some meme shit but its interesting it's about vibrations there is actually a theory that everything in the universe is just a vibration and that is all the world boils down to just different frequencies of vibrations.

autism

Since we take technology for granted now maybe it had a different effect 20 years ago, I agree that it has to be an age thing. Gonna watch ghost in the shell soon but not sure if I should watch the original or 2.0. Idk why I never watched it.

Watch both in succession and then watch gits sac and gits sac 2nd gig. That's all you need to watch from Ghost in the shell. The rest is shit.

Watch both in succession and then watch gits sac and gits sac 2nd gig. That's all you need to watch from Ghost in the shell. The rest is shit.
52 episodes is kinda brutal but I'm fine watching the movies but aren't they same story?

W
Its anime about some meme shit but its interesting it's about vibrations there is actually a theory that everything in the universe is just a vibration and that is all the world boils down to just different frequencies of vibrations.

Wtf are you smoking? The guy who created lain was just an early adopter of the upcoming internet. He had his own website where he posted pictures and shit and at some point someone contacted him and asked him if he wanted to make a show.

It's primarily about the effect the internet could have on a culture. It's the same as if someone made an anime about the impact of social media in the year 2000 or something.

Not fucking vibrations jfl
52 episodes is kinda brutal but I'm fine watching the movies but aren't they same story?

How the fuck is 52 episodes brutal? I watched the entirety of one piece TWICE in a row, one time alone and one time with my little sister (ruined her). That's like 1200 episodes. An anime episode has around 21 minutes, you can get watch roughly 3 per hour. That's 36 a day. It's just one weekend dude, get your shit together.

The first movie is loosely based on the story of the original manga. Gits sac are standalone story lines which follow the visual aspect of the manga closer but have their own plot.

Last edited:
I threw it at 3 or 5 series. It went from boring to autistic and I couldn't handle it.
But as fellow @ShadowTheEdgehog explained,if it were about people being tempted by the coming of the internet-then I can get the idea.
My first 4 years on the internet were my golden years, both because of everything being so clumsy and new, and because I was at school and didn't think that much about my future and my problems.
I enjoyed making friends online, playing osu and exploring new music, everything on the internet seemed to be so uniqe and trying to go in its own way.Now everything seems to be just a refined copy of what was in the past, everything is so fast, rushed, rough and vulgar,because it has to cater to foid's needs and mindset.
I actually appreciated having to think and solve stuff, like for example having to convert videos to a certain resolution and file format for each device because it won't play otherwise. People back in the 2011-2014 on the internet were more creative and interesting to talk to, and now everything an average foid uses on her smartphone is a degenerate social media apps where she lives on a tutorial button where she presses a button and everything works like a charm,giving her more validations and dicks chasing her.

Last edited:
Mr Shekelberg should of never gave internet to foids

i watched the whole thing but stopped paying attention after episode 5 or so

I threw it at 3 or 5 series. It went from boring to autistic and I couldn't handle it.
But as fellow @ShadowTheEdgehog explained,if it were about people being tempted by the coming of the internet-then I can get the idea.
My first 4 years on the internet were my golden years, both because of everything being so clumsy and new, and because I was at school and didn't think that much about my future and my problems.
I enjoyed making friends online, playing osu and exploring new music, everything on the internet seemed to be so uniqe and trying to go in its own way.Now everything seems to be just a refined copy of what was in the past, everything is so fast, rushed, rough and vulgar,because it has to cater to foid's needs and mindset.
I actually appreciated having to think and solve stuff, like for example having to convert videos to a certain resolution and file format for each device because it won't play otherwise. People back in the 2011-2014 on the internet were more creative and interesting to talk to, and now everything an average foid uses on her smartphone is a degenerate social media apps where she lives on a tutorial button where she presses a button and everything works like a charm,giving her more validations and dicks chasing her.

Yes, exactly. That Sprit of having to figure things out, of searching through oceans of malware and spam to find that one working download link, to get obscure games to run, emulators, torrent culture, you name it. Its all dead now. When I started out I didn't even know how to unzip files. It was all so fascinating and interesting.

I just remembered how I would sometimes finally get some piece of software to run and then get bored of it quickly, only to reinstall it again, to enjoy the process of setting everything set up and stuff. And now? I think in the future there will be a maximum of 5 websites with all the (((content))) that we are supposed to get. Shit like GeocCties or NeoCities will just be faint remnant of the past, something archaic that will people will snicker at.

I should watch