Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

(Seemingly hugely unpopular opinion) The Mother/Earthbound series is one of, if not, the most overrated series to exist

Blud123

Blud123

I'll make you say...
This post started out as a comment to another thread but I decided to turn it into an entire post

I played the entirety of Mother 1 and Earthbound and a bit of Mother 3, and man do I regret playing these games. I can't remember what exactly made me want to play these games, but I think it was because I liked playing as Mother characters in Smash Ultimate (it's kind of surprising to hear about how people get into fandoms because of a character they play in smash) and I heard that the games are a masterpiece, but I could honestly not tell you a notable thing that I remember from these games other than that I had to fight Gigyas at the end of Earthbound, Onett City and me trying to complete these games like it's a chore. I just didn't get impacted by these stories like a lot of other people who played these games did. I don't know if this is because I'm not too emotionally sensitive when it comes to video games (well, thinking of FNF and playing it even just 2 years ago gives me nostalgia since I feel like I'm entering a completely new stage in life and I remember being so happy to just get home from school and play it), but I just don't understand why people like to praise this series. It's got some good music, sure, but the gameplay feels kind of dated and the closest thing I played to Earthbound/Mother that I actually liked was Mario and Luigi: Dream Team. That was something I played maybe 7 years ago, but I remember really liking the game, and looking at YouTube guides for it. I don't game now anymore, but I have some strong opinions on some stuff like things I did back then. I also remember playing Chapter 1 of Deltarune and not enjoying it, and that's probably because it's a lot like the Mother series.

Last edited:
I never cared about them just like Zelda games and never will. They look boring and lame.

I personally love the series. Mother 3 is probably the strongest entry but if you were bored outta your mind playing the other 2 then I guess don't (though it is a much more intense story compared to the other games). Earthbound is probably my least favourite story-wise ngl but the gameplay was good and I had fun with it.

Mother on the Famicom was just too limited with the hardware to be something amazing (but they still did a great job imo besides the movement controls those were shit kek). That's partly why Earthbound was basically a remake.

If you really want to be impacted by these games beat Mother 3 and you might finally get it. These games aren't for everyone though and Earthbound literally flopped in the west lol.

Earthbound by itself is definitely overrated imo, but that could be because we never got a western release for Mother 3.

I never cared about them just like Zelda games and never will. They look boring and lame.
I've only played Four Swords and it was fun (played with my cousins on DSi). I kinda want to play some of the games eventually, especially Link to the Past, Link's Awakening (DX), and even the N64 games.

I don't know if this is because I'm not too emotionally sensitive when it comes to video games
Mother & Mother 3 are probably the only games that actually emotionally impacted me. I always cry whenever I watch the ending for Mother 3 or listen to some of the music from Mother. That could also be why I love them so much, as no other games have ever done that to me.

Nah, it's a classic, not the best game in the world but still good

I personally love the series. Mother 3 is probably the strongest entry but if you were bored outta your mind playing the other 2 then I guess don't (though it is a much more intense story compared to the other games). Earthbound is probably my least favourite story-wise ngl but the gameplay was good and I had fun with it.

Mother on the Famicom was just too limited with the hardware to be something amazing (but they still did a great job imo besides the movement controls those were shit kek). That's partly why Earthbound was basically a remake.

If you really want to be impacted by these games beat Mother 3 and you might finally get it. These games aren't for everyone though and Earthbound literally flopped in the west lol.

Earthbound by itself is definitely overrated imo, but that could be because we never got a western release for Mother 3.
If I'm interested enough then I'll look into mother 3 again, maybe my tastes have changed. I doubt I'll want to replay 1 and 2, and I've got a lot of medical studying to take care of but I also did find out about a mother 1 remake being made by fans and man... it does look good (unpolished, but good).

I actually got all 3 games on the GBA and played Mother 1 and 3 on them but played Earthbound on my 3ds. I can't remember if I just didn't want to play that on GBA or if it had some issues but I iterally bought a $100 modded gba just to play these games. I wouldn't do that anymore, since I know about emulators and stuff.

I think it flopped because of the advertising, right? didn't some gaming papers say that Earthbound stunk? And I know the big emotional hit is when Luca's mom dies but I don't remember the story to whole game.

Yeah.

Still fun tho but wayyyyyyyy over hyped

If I'm interested enough then I'll look into mother 3 again, maybe my tastes have changed. I doubt I'll want to replay 1 and 2, and I've got a lot of medical studying to take care of but I also did find out about a mother 1 remake being made by fans and man... it does look good (unpolished, but good).

I actually got all 3 games on the GBA and played Mother 1 and 3 on them but played Earthbound on my 3ds. I can't remember if I just didn't want to play that on GBA or if it had some issues but I iterally bought a $100 modded gba just to play these games. I wouldn't do that anymore, since I know about emulators and stuff.

I think it flopped because of the advertising, right? didn't some gaming papers say that Earthbound stunk? And I know the big emotional hit is when Luca's mom dies but I don't remember the story to whole game.
The thing with Hinawa is right at the start. The first 3 chapters are all a prologue to the main game so maybe that's why you stopped playing. It's basically the best of Mother & Earthbound though it still coulda been better (iirc it was supposed to be much darker but the development was hell so they cut some things).

Also the GBA ports of Mother 1 & 2 were shit so that coulda also made the experience worse lol. I suggest you play the original Earthbound Zero rom and original SNES version of Earthbound for the best player experience.

Yeah the marketing was part of Earthbound flopping in the west. The game also costed more than regular games because of the player's guide it came with, which didn't help. Also RPGs were never really big in the west to begin with.

They were actually gonna localize Mother for the NES (it was actually finished and leaked online way back) but it took too long and they didn't want to try market it when the Super Nintendo was just about to release.

all japshit is overrated

delusional, the series isn't even really that massively popular to be stated as overrated. It kinda died a year ago.