Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Science and technology make what seemed implausible or impossible into reality

W

WizardofSoda

Overlord
★★★★★
In the 1700's if you said in a few hundred years people will be able to talk to each other across continents it just would seem implausible. At that point they hadn't discovered electro-magnetism. The idea of sending information on electro-magnetic waves that move at the speed of light(including light waves), and somehow wrapping those around the Earth's surface like under the oceans.. and then you need a device on the other side to direct the waves to the person you want, then device to translate those signals into sounds for speakers then it sounds like the persons voice exactly. It just sounds stupid.

There is also a simulation aspect. With the speakers in the telephone making it sound like the persons voice, which is mind boggling they were able to do that 100 years ago. But the simulation aspect is important here, you aren't actually hearing the other persons voice directly. Its a simulation of the persons voice.

You see how we do things may not be in actual, but in effect. If I step into a robotic suit here in my house in the US, but the other side is in Europe a robot I am controlling, with all the vision, sound maybe even touch sensations as if I am in the robot in Europe.. am I actually in Europe though. Its like if I am looking at my computer screen that shows a video camera looking out a window in Europe. As if I am sitting in that room in Europe looking out the window.

For sci-fi stuff what if a thousand years from now someone is on a spaceship travelling to another planet, and then landing on the other planet and setting up a base and exploring it. But its actually a spaceship and habitat here on Earth, just like when in the spaceship it seemed like it was travelling through space, including interesting encounters and adventures on the way.. or maybe with greater immersion you never left your room. And what if it is a hyperrealistic simulation based on actual robotic exploration of other planets. What if you had a romance with a woman on the spaceship who was part of the crew too, and she also thought it was a 'real' spaceship. What then is 'real' here or not.

This is where we are going and then this goes into spirituality. Because eventually you then ask what if where you are now in your parents basements is not actually 'real', but is itself a simulation.

In the 1700's if you said in a few hundred years people will be able to talk to each other across continents it just would seem implausible. At that point they hadn't discovered electro-magnetism. The idea of sending information on electro-magnetic waves that move at the speed of light(including light waves), and somehow wrapping those around the Earth's surface like under the oceans.. and then you need a device on the other side to direct the waves to the person you want, then device to translate those signals into sounds for speakers then it sounds like the persons voice exactly. It just sounds stupid.

There is also a simulation aspect. With the speakers in the telephone making it sound like the persons voice, which is mind boggling they were able to do that 100 years ago. But the simulation aspect is important here, you aren't actually hearing the other persons voice directly. Its a simulation of the persons voice.

You see how we do things may not be in actual, but in effect. If I step into a robotic suit here in my house in the US, but the other side is in Europe a robot I am controlling, with all the vision, sound maybe even touch sensations as if I am in the robot in Europe.. am I actually in Europe though. Its like if I am looking at my computer screen that shows a video camera looking out a window in Europe. As if I am sitting in that room in Europe looking out the window.

For sci-fi stuff what if a thousand years from now someone is on a spaceship travelling to another planet, and then landing on the other planet and setting up a base and exploring it. But its actually a spaceship and habitat here on Earth, just like when in the spaceship it seemed like it was travelling through space, including interesting encounters and adventures on the way.. or maybe with greater immersion you never left your room. And what if it is a hyperrealistic simulation based on actual robotic exploration of other planets. What if you had a romance with a woman on the spaceship who was part of the crew too, and she also thought it was a 'real' spaceship. What then is 'real' here or not.

This is where we are going and then this goes into spirituality. Because eventually you then ask what if where you are now in your parents basements is not actually 'real', but is itself a simulation.
:feelsmage: