Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion Saliva Explained

Dionysus

Dionysus

Paragon
★★★★★
Saliva is a complex fluid, which influences oral health through specific and nonspecific physical and chemical properties. The importance of saliva in our everyday activities and the medicinal properties it possesses are often taken for granted. However, when disruptions in the quality or quantity of saliva do occur in an individual, it is likely that he or she will experience detrimental effects on oral and systemic health. Often head and neck radiotherapy has serious and detrimental side effects on the oral cavity including the loss of salivary gland function and a persistent complaint of a dry mouth (xerostomia). Thus, saliva has a myriad of beneficial functions that are essential to our well-being. Although saliva has been extensively investigated as a medium, few laboratories have studied saliva in the context of its role in maintaining oral and general health

It is probably surprising for most people to learn that saliva has been used in diagnostics for more than 2000 years. Ancient doctors of traditional Chinese medicine have concluded that saliva and blood are “brothers” in the body and they come from the same origin. It is believed that changes in saliva are indicative of the wellness of the patient. The thickness and smell of saliva, as well as patients’ gustatory sensation of their own saliva are all used as symptoms of a certain disease state of the body.

Analyses of the properties of saliva using biochemical and physiological methodologies can be traced back to at least over a century ago. It is obvious that in 1898, when Chittenden and Mendel conducted their study on the influence of alcoholic drinks upon digestion and secretion, the measurement of total organic constituents, salts, and chlorine in saliva was already being performed routinely. In the late 19th century, researchers had already learnt that saliva had digestive powers, mainly in the form of amylolysis and proteolysis. Studies in the early 20th century had shown some evidence of the dietary effect of saliva. Highly sensitive and high-throughput assays such as mass spectrometry, RT-PCR, microarray, and nano-scale sensors that can measure proteins and nucleic acids with minimal sample requirement in a short period of time allowed scientists to broaden the utility of saliva.

Saliva is produced and secreted from salivary glands. The basic secretary units of salivary glands are clusters of cells called acini. These cells secrete a fluid that contains water, electrolytes, mucus, and enzymes, all of which flow out of the acinus into collecting ducts. Within the ducts, the composition of the secretion is altered. Much of the sodium is actively reabsorbed, potassium is secreted, and large quantities of bicarbonate ion are secreted. Small collecting ducts within salivary glands lead into larger ducts, eventually forming a single large duct that empties into the oral cavity.

Saliva serves many roles, some of which are important to all species and others to only a few:

• Lubrication and binding: The mucus in saliva is extremely effective in binding masticated food into a slippery bolus that (usually) slides easily through the esophagus without inflicting damage to the mucosa.
  • Solubilization of dry food: In order to be tasted, the molecules in food must be solubilized.
  • Oral hygiene: The oral cavity is almost constantly flushed with saliva, which floats away food debris and keeps the mouth relatively clean. The flow of saliva diminishes considerably during sleep, allow populations of bacteria to build up in the mouth – the result is dragon breath in the morning. Saliva also contains lysozyme, an enzyme that lyses many bacteria and prevents the overgrowth of oral microbial populations.
  • Initiation of starch digestion: In most species, the serous and acinar cells secrete an alpha amylase which can begin to digest dietary starch into maltose.

Let me know If you want more or part 2 since this is exhausting.

insert 'mogs me' variant comment here

I want foids salvia on my dick

I just spend five minutes of my life reading about drool

I thought it was going to be about salvia! Lol.