Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Blackpill On cameras, your real appearance, how others see you, mirrors and bullshit copes about distortion

anon

anon

babyfaced subhuman
★★
First I'll just start with a question for everyone.
Have you ever looked at decent quality photos or video footage of your family members? They tend to look almost identical in photos and IRL, but you tend to look much more subhuman in photos than in the mirror. Do others try to convince you that you look "fine" in photos? Fine meaning the same as in person.

People that you know well IRL never really significantly stand out in photos or video footage or at least you never tell yourself "damn, my dad looks like a different person in photos compared to IRL."

Think about why that is and stop coping. What you see in photos is 99.99999% what others see when they look at you. Before you start crying about distortion, just think.

Modern smartphone cameras are more than good enough, especially from further away. Basically, you're seeing what other people see when they look at you and your brain simply isn't used to it, but it's a much more accurate representation of what you look like to other people compared to mirrors.
Your brain has a way to cope so it changes the perception of yourself in the mirror. You also tend to subconsciously adjust your face and angles when looking at the mirror which is frauding, but that's also beside the point. What matters is your own brain. To others, you look the same whether it's IRL, in photos or in the mirror.

Cameras are very close to human eyes in their ability to fairly accurately process visual information which is why other people tend to look normal to you in photos and video footage, but you always stand out or look "off."
Place the camera 10ft away and record yourself. That is what people see.

What people need to understand is that your brain fucks with you.
Your brain is absolutely not used to seeing your body and face from other people's perspectives (photos, video) so when it does happen it's basically a shock, but it's reality.
There was no way for us to see ourselves from other people's perspectives for hundreds of thousands of years and suddenly we have cameras which are basically like other people's perspectives. We can now see what others see when they look at us and our brains aren't evolved for that, but they are evolved to look at reflections which are flipped/mirrored, "normalized" and corrected by the brain to cope.

>b-but mirrors are more accurate because distortion and things I don't really understand that I'm parroting from reddit threads and articles!1!
The mirror is more accurate only in the way that it shows your brain what it expects to see.

Another thing you can try is record yourself with your family or have someone record you and your family together. Your family members will look like they always look, but you will stand out to yourself. Others will deny it and say you look normal.

I was at my sister's wedding a few years ago and people took photos and video footage. Everyone looked normal (normal meaning the same as IRL), but I looked very off and much less attractive than in the mirror. What I was in fact seeing is what other people see when they look at me.
The brain is not ready for that kind of information.

Obviously, front facing camera selfies from 10" away when looking down are not that accurate, but people underestimate modern smarphone cameras. A camera 10ft away is very accurate if you want to visualize what others see.

tl dr: Modern smartphone cameras from a bit further away are an accurate representation of what you look like to other people

Last edited:
Buffalo Zoo Escaped G Hugh medium

Another interesting thing.
A few months ago my mom asked me to take photos of her because she wanted to see how she looks like in photos. She said the photos looked terrible compared to what she sees in the mirror, but all I saw was my mom. She looked the same to me and so does my sister, dad and everyone else I know. Have you ever looked at your school photos or just photos of yourself next to people you know? Everyone looks normal or the way you see them IRL, but you stand out.

Are cameras really inaccurate then or is it your brain failing to cope with experiencing a perspective it's simply not evolved to experience?
Video footage and photos is what others see when they look at you.

Doesn't matter I look like a subhuman curry ogre in both cameras and mirrors anyway

this post is a brutal truth

Doesn't matter I look like a subhuman curry ogre in both cameras and mirrors anyway
You look worse to yourself in photos and video footage, especially if it's candid. Unfortunately, that's the reality of what others see when they look at you.

Last edited:
But then why do I look completely subhuman in some pictures and I look like what I see in the mirror in others?

You look worse to yourself in photos and video footage, especially if it's candid. Unfortunately, that's reality of what others see when they look at you.

Lifefuel. Look better in photos and on camera. Look like trash in the mirror

Lifefuel. Look better in photos and on camera. Look like trash in the mirror
That's simply not how it is for most of us. You often hear users here saying they look absolutely terrible in photos, but "ok" or at least acceptable in the mirror. It's well known that people like what they see in the mirror more than photos.

Still, my post isn't about whether you look better in the mirror or in camera footage. I guess it's different for everyone, but my point is that cameras are much more accurate in representing what you look like to other people.

Brutal Smartphone pill :/

I think it's partly that you aren't used to seeing it, so it seems foreign and uglier. You get used to it like I did after my sister sent me tons of snaps of myself. Then it's not much worse to how I look in the mirror without frauding. People definitely cope with angles and jaw clenching in the mirror though.

I also got used to my voice after she sent all of those videos to me. Used to think I sounded subhuman but I sound ok now.

I think it's partly that you aren't used to seeing it, so it seems foreign and uglier. You get used to it like I did after my sister sent me tons of snaps of myself. Then it's not as bad. People definitely cope with angles and jaw clenching in the mirror though.
This is definitely a part of it. What really bothers me is when people don't think for themselves. If cameras are so inaccurate, how come people you know tend to look basically the same IRL and in photos/video or at least it's not a massive difference? Why are you yourself suddenly the exception? It's safe to say that cameras are more than accurate enough, especially if they're placed a bit further away to deal with lense "distortion" which is minimal with modern cameras.

Candid photos and videos are the most accurate representations of what you look like to other people. Non-candid photos/videos taken by other people is second most accurate followed by photos/videos you take of yourself. Mirror is huge cope.

Last edited:
Camerapill destroyed me ngl

Didnt read but selfies, mirrors etc doesnt present how you look irl. Getting someone to take picture of you with back camera would be the most accurate way. When i did that i realized im way uglier than i thought. If you have an asymmetrical face you should try this to see the Real truth.

selfies, mirrors etc doesnt present how you look irl
Selfies from 15" away are extreme. They're not that accurate, sure, but they're still more accurate than the mirror. By "accuracy" I'm referring to the attempt to visualize what others see when they look at you.
Ask your mom or anyone you know to take a selfie. To you they'll just look like they always do, the way you see them IRL. They on the other hand will probably complain that they look worse than what they see in the mirror.
Getting someone to take picture of you with back camera would be the most accurate way.
Definitely and that's exactly what I'm saying.

Last edited:
Once you see me from the side it's over JFL

Moggers all around me

a photo taken from a few feet away is how people see you. If you look like trash in said photo, you look like trash to everyone in general.

oh yeah, and also it's totally true you get "used" to other people. I've seen some really ugly people at first, then the more I saw them the more normal they looked.