Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Movie recommendation for historycels

thespanishcel

thespanishcel

Overlord
★★★★★
La_batalla_del_mar_del_Jap_n-870728789-mmed.jpg

"Battle of the Sea of Japan" a super unknown (only 187 votes on IMDb) historical Japanese movie about the Russian-Japanese war. It's from 1969 and the main actor is Toshiro Mifune from many Akira Kurosawa films. I was very surprised on how well done it is and also it's very historically accurate, almost like a big budget documentary. Even if you don't know about this war don't worry because I didn't neither and everything was clear, the movie gives some context and in some parts there's an off-voice narrating the events, along with maps and all that sheit. I found it in super good quality with Spanish subtitles in some obscure old movies website but I'm sure you can find it with English subtitles too. Also the movie could have perfectly been Japanese propaganda but it isn't, is very neutral and treats the two countries with much respect.

Also in the end of the film there's a conversation that I don't know if it really happened or if it's just to add drama to the film, maybe another historycel can confirm.
When the war is over the emperor meets with one of the generals and asks him what is the next country he thinks Japan will be in war. The general without doubting replies it's going to be United States but the emperor is skeptical. Did this really happen or it's fiction and was put there just because of WW2?

Nice summary. Can't do subtitles, though. Too annoying.

Thoughts on Hunter Killer? I haven't watched it, but I think it is fiction. It looks pretty good.

La_batalla_del_mar_del_Jap_n-870728789-mmed.jpg

"Battle of the Sea of Japan" a super unknown (only 187 votes on IMDb) historical Japanese movie about the Russian-Japanese war. It's from 1969 and the main actor is Toshiro Mifune from many Akira Kurosawa films. I was very surprised on how well done it is and also it's very historically accurate, almost like a big budget documentary. Even if you don't know about this war don't worry because I didn't neither and everything was clear, the movie gives some context and in some parts there's an off-voice narrating the events, along with maps and all that sheit. I found it in super good quality with Spanish subtitles in some obscure old movies website but I'm sure you can find it with English subtitles too. Also the movie could have perfectly been Japanese propaganda but it isn't, is very neutral and treats the two countries with much respect.

Also in the end of the film there's a conversation that I don't know if it really happened or if it's just to add drama to the film, maybe another historycel can confirm.
When the war is over the emperor meets with one of the generals and asks him what is the next country he thinks Japan will be in war. The general without doubting replies it's going to be United States but the emperor is skeptical. Did this really happen or it's fiction and was put there just because of WW2?

Sounds a bit far fetched, since during WW1 which followed, Japan took the position of the allied nations.

Although, despite the Royal navy being by far the biggest threat to japanese expansionism during that period, the US navy was being actively reformed into a substantial modern fleet that could project it's influence to the colonies. Something that the Japanese top brass could not have missed.

Have you Watched Tora Tora Tora! ? Its a collaborative movie about the attack on pearl harbor. Pretty decent as far as historical accuracy goes.

based. love me some war movies and the russo-japanese war was a fascinating conflict. sad thing is no one learned from it going into WWI

based. love me some war movies and the russo-japanese war was a fascinating conflict. sad thing is no one learned from it going into WWI
Haven't learned what?

Japanese are ruthless.

Thanks for the recommendation.

As for the spoiler its difficult to say for sure - at the time the dominant power in Asia was probably Britain followed by the Netherlands and France - although Japan and Britain had quite friendly relations at the time as the Japanese modelled their Navy on the Royal Navy and the British shared many methods and technologies relating to modern naval warfare. The United States had a more modest and less strategically important position in the Pacific based in Hawaii and the Philippines. They pursued a policy in China known as the "open door" mainly seeking to maintain access to the various markets.

As for your spoiler bit that wouldn't make sense, Japan's next big enemy was Germany and the Central Powers in WWI.
It's what I thought when I watched it, so it was just added for the drama and because it was the post WW2 mentality kek

Haven't learned what?
basically that human wave tactics against trenches and machine guns were very costly. Japan won the land battles with their fierce charges but even tho they won, casualties were higher than russia. Also that russia at the time was very weak. If the central powers had concentrated on russia in wwi rather than wasting resources on the western front, they likely could have won
Thanks for the recommendation.

As for the spoiler its difficult to say for sure - at the time the dominant power in Asia was probably Britain followed by the Netherlands and France - although Japan and Britain had quite friendly relations at the time as the Japanese modelled their Navy on the Royal Navy and the British shared many methods and technologies relating to modern naval warfare. The United States had a more modest and less strategically important position in the Pacific based in Hawaii and the Philippines. They pursued a policy in China known as the "open door" mainly seeking to maintain access to the various markets.
This is true - although russia played a large role as well since they had land access to china. before Germany and US began building up their navies, Russia actually had the largest navy in the area. Russia was also UK's primary rival before the rise of Germany (see crimean war, great game). So UK wanted to build up Japan as a bulwark against Russian and later German interests in the area

Interesting fact, Britain didn't let Russia through the suez canal, so the russian baltic fleet had to sail all the way around africa to get to japan, so by the time they got there, they were already exhausted

Last edited:
Probably just to dramatize the film
After the Russo Japanese War Japan joined the Allies during WW1 so it could secure Germany's Asiatic Colonies (Which it did for the most part) and it even took part in the Siberian Intervention

After WW1 2 factions grew in the Japanese Army and Navy, one was preparing for war with the Soviets (Mostly Army followers) while the other was preparing for war against the US / UK (Mostly Navy followers)

Also I've already seen the film, it's very good
It's about the Battle of Tsushima where the IJN decimated the Russian Baltic Fleet, the Russian fleet legit traveled all the way from the Baltic Sea, around Africa and all the way to the island of Tsushima to be destroyed in a few hours just lol

come and see is a good one. even if you don't like history, since it's pretty fucked up and terrifying

Japan should've been colonized and Bleached.

Japan fought WW1 and the Sino-Japanese war before going against the allies in WW2

By any chance you also have an account at alternatehistory.com?

Actually I think it was a fucking mistake Tsar's jugs not allying with Alemánia, an absolute monarchy allied with some shitty liberals who were going to throw him under the bus at any moment? Stupid Tsar, Germany was his natural ally.
No but I do lurk there on rare occasion. I agree wholeheartedly. If I was KAISER WILLY I would have allied with Russia. Bismarck and later Wilhelm preferred to ally with Austria-Hungary as they viewed Russia's economic and territorial expansion as a threat. But Russia was actually pretty weak by 1914. Problem was, Austria was even weaker and surrounded by too many potential enemies (Russia, Romania, Serbia, Montenegro, Italy) who all wanted a chunk of their respective minorities that were under Austrian rule. This basically doomed Austria to fight on 4 fronts in WWI which considering its economy and military, guaranteed its collapse. It would have very difficult long-term to keep 12 different ethnicities glued together into a country during the age of nationalism.

Sounds a bit far fetched, since during WW1 which followed, Japan took the position of the allied nations.

Although, despite the Royal navy being by far the biggest threat to japanese expansionism during that period, the US navy was being actively reformed into a substantial modern fleet that could project it's influence to the colonies. Something that the Japanese top brass could not have missed.

Have you Watched Tora Tora Tora! ? .
Torah Torah Torah?

The world lost ww2.