Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Serious Mirror or Camera, which is more accurate?

Which is more accurate?

• Mirror

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • Camera

Votes: 12 46.2%

• Total voters
scrub

scrub

Banned
-
I don't think we've had this debate here before but I've always wondered whether or not the mirror or camera is a more accurate depiction of what you look like to others.
So lets look at the different aspects,
Mirror:
Shows a mirrored image of you (duh)
Can make your face seem wider dependant on the distance of your eyes from the reflective surface (The closer you are the wider your face will be)
And obviously any curvature in your mirror is going to skew reality.
How to counteract this:
Look at yourself in the mirror from a distance. (not sure what distance is best but the further away from the mirror you are, the better)

Camera:
Dependant on the size/curvature of the lens it can make your face seem wider or longer than it really is. (You can try it yourself, use your front facing camera on your smartphone and take pictures of your face holding the smartphone both horizontally and vertically)
The same goes for the distance of the camera to your face.
How to counteract this:
Take pictures from a distance (The mirror pretty much doubles the distance from the camera to your face as the light has to travel 2x as far making you look a lot more accurate to your true self, and if you take pictures of yourself in the mirror make sure to mirror the actual pictures in photoshop or any other software.)
Make sure the lens you use isn't shit as a shit lens can fuck you up from up close and a distance.
Try and look at yourself in group photos/photos others take of you. If you have any recent group photos or pictures others take of you e.g. You having your photo taken at a wedding or your mother taking a picture of you at a family BBQ, refer to that, because they're usually taken at a distance which can counteract the different effects lenses might have.

/discuss

camera I think

Camera, because that's the way other people see you (if I recall correctly).

Mirror because cams are artificial, pixelise you and distort colours but mirrors invert your face. The latter should have no effect if you were perfectly symmetrical which we aren't. I don't think mirror ugly is worse or better than original ugly though.

lol @ mirror copers who dont want to admit they are truly ugly. ive taken pics of people on a phone camera many times and they all look exactly as they look in real life. you arent an exception

lol @ mirror copers who dont want to admit they are truly ugly. ive taken pics of people on a phone camera many times and they all look exactly as they look in real life. you arent an exception
Yes, and I've said that the camera can be accurate if you take pics from a distance.

depends
selfie frontal photo's are never that accurate - it makes even chads look slightly uglier if taken from the wrong position
mirrors are a reflection, and therefore are slightly less accurate to how people see you
you want a photo taken with a professional camera, with you looking straight forward into it to see best how you look to others.

Bedroom mirrors (the tall ones) in daylight, give the most accurate depiction, IMO.

It shouldn't make a difference for incels

Im 2/10 on cameras and 3/10 on mirrors

Camera depends a lot on quality, lighting and even then it's quite unnatural due to how flat and static everything is in a photo. Huge difference between a smartphone camera and a proper DSLR even. Mirror is better due to it being like looking at someone else, but it's going to be a softened image like a beauty filter. Generally speaking it's easier to look better in a mirror, but it's over either way for an incel.

My head looks taller on camera, oddly.

Whichever you look worse in tbh.

My head looks taller on camera, oddly.
Yeah, that's because modern cameras stretch the image slightly to fit the screen, if you take a pic of yourself horizontally your head should look shorter than it really is, Ideally you should be taking pics at a 45 degree angle with your face being in the centre. (Although I am not too sure about this as it could just end up stretching one side of your face making you look less symmetrical.

When you look in the mirror, you have two eyes which you perceive the image with. Therefore you can see 3D and judge distances for example.
A camera only has one source from which it pictures you - the lense. Your face isn't depicted three dimensionally but instead just from one source.

and since other people have two eyes as well, they are going to see you from 2 sources in 3d, so the mirror is more accurate, especially from a distance.

You tend to look at yourself more closely and notice blemishes more easily in the mirror, versus a camera where it's just a fake smile. Honestly, I look better in the mirror since the pressure of getting my picture taken doesn't show on my face.

mirror is much more accurate than camera for knowing how people see you irl,