Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Mathematician cope

zephyr

zephyr

UK Wizardcel
★★★★★
They say that a mathematician can only achieve their best work when they're younger. But this sounded like hor$e to me. So I did some digging then found this.
How much does IQ change with age?

An individual's IQ does not change with age. In other words: if you did an IQ test now and then another one in 10 years' time, your IQ score will probably be very similar. This is because IQ is always measured relative to other people your age.23 Sept 2022
https://www.sciencealert.com › does-iq-decline-as-we-a...

It's like maths people who say this cope don't believe in IQ.

That doesn't contradict it, though; IQ doesn't lower as you grow older because It's measured in comparison with the rest of the people in your age group, but that obviously shows that cognitive ability and speed does decrease as the years goes by... :feelsjuice:

Though I think it's absurd to say that one's best work can only be achieved when young, considering all the experience in the particular field you might accumulate, or how your mindset on it might change as you age; look at all the middle-aged scientists and mathematicians. :feelshehe:

That doesn't contradict it, though; IQ doesn't lower as you grow older because It's measured in comparison with the rest of the people in your age group, but that obviously shows that cognitive ability and speed does decrease as the years goes by... :feelsjuice:

Though I think it's absurd to say that one's best work can only be achieved when young, considering all the experience in the particular field you might accumulate, or how your mindset on it might change as you age; look at all the middle-aged scientists and mathematicians. :feelshehe:
Its still true for maths though. Especially original groundbreaking work is usually achieved in youth. Good thing is we don't have to worry about it since none of us are smart enough to be the next Ron Perelman whatever tha age.

Its still true for maths though. Especially original groundbreaking work is usually achieved in youth. Good thing is we don't have to worry about it since none of us are smart enough to be the next Ron Perelman whatever tha age.
You tend to get more connections and such that might get you on a team that does the groundbreaking work, though; I guess it does apply, but it's not necessarily impossible to do that type of work when older. :feelswhere:

Middle aged mathematicians need to prove that it's a coincedence. Terrence Tao is 47 and does work on Prime numbers.