Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Serious Mathcel championship, question for high iq mathcels

DostoevskyCel

DostoevskyCel

Officer
Screenshot 2021 06 02 at 113120

if this post gets any traction I'd like to make it a weekly thing, basically I post a (typically number theory, but will include geometry and single variable calc, and you don't need to answer all the questions I post) question and people post their solutions, after about a day or so I'll post my solution. First week's problem is above and below are my hints for my solution, the hints get progressively bigger:
hint 1: without loss of generality suppose a >= b >= c
hint 2: use inequalities to find an upper bound of one of the variables
hint 3: if c is the smallest of the ordered solution a, b, c, then (1+ 1/c) is the largest factor, hence 2 =< (1 + 1/c)^3

we already did this. it was pinned on the lounge and it was really cool

i don't really know too much number theory so i dunno

Nooooooo you can't make me construct a domain of possible values this early :feelsree::feelsree::feelsree::feelsree:

holy shit i got it but my ''proof'' isn't elegant lol

<a=2, b=15, c=4> ; <a=2, b=9, c=5> ; <a=2, b=7, c=6> ; <a=3, b=5, c=4> ; <a=3, b=3, c=8>

When are you posting the proof? I've never done number theory yet, I graphed and checked myself for the values of b with bounds. I have absolutely no idea how you would do this algebraically.

Do ur own homework, GrAYcel

holy shit i got it but my ''proof'' isn't elegant lol

<a=2, b=15, c=4> ; <a=2, b=9, c=5> ; <a=2, b=7, c=6> ; <a=3, b=5, c=4> ; <a=3, b=3, c=8>

When are you posting the proof? I've never done number theory yet, I graphed and checked myself for the values of b with bounds. I have absolutely no idea how you would do this algebraically.
ive not done number theory either, uk maths curriculum is extremely regimented, I pick up most my techniques from youtubers, ill post in soonish, algebraically is a bit of a misnomer here tho, I used algebra to get an upper bound and then went thru the few cases the bound provides
Do ur own homework, GrAYcel
my college has finished for the year + I had already done it when I posted this question
5EC81AEB 735C 423D 8998 41B1C1462BF1

A40782F4 17C0 4566 9F25 9FA81A7F321E

A591766C 1B7E 46F6 B08D D8F610CB90B1

@registeredsubhuman9

Last edited:
I miss being good at maths. I'm scratchy as hell now.

Wow you guys are high IQ ngl

ive not done number theory either, uk maths curriculum is extremely regimented, I pick up most my techniques from youtubers, ill post in soonish, algebraically is a bit of a misnomer here tho, I used algebra to get an upper bound and then went thru the few cases the bound provides

my college has finished for the year + I had already done it when I posted this question
View attachment 451849
View attachment 451850
View attachment 451851
@registeredsubhuman9
Nice solution bruh. Never could have thought of doing it this way.
I miss being good at maths.

@trying to ascend

This may offer you some enjoyment.