Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Gaming Laptopcel gamers! Did you disable the Turbo boost of your CPU to improve temperatures?

NeverEvenBegan

NeverEvenBegan

KHHDV Wizard Alchemist. Wagecel.
★★★★★

View: https://youtu.be/otCYx18oxlY?si=CPPiGifGRLtOZ8TM

I have a laptop with Ryzen 5 5600H from 2021. I've recently changed the thermal paste (it was completely dried), but the temperatures have not improved that much. GPU is mid to high 80s, CPU is mid 90s, which is not that ideal, especially for prolonged gaming sessions.

Disabling the Turbo boost and running just on the CPU base frequence is supposedly a good way of lowering your temperatures without losing too much performance.

Of course, there is also underclocking and undervolting your CPU, but that shit is so much more complicated :feelsseriously:. The Turbo boost can be disabled easily in like 3 minutes.

So laptopcel gamers, how do you deal with high temperatures? And yes, I already have a cooler, it helps a bit.

Clear out the dust and play at 60fps, that's about it.

Also, a good way to squeeze out a bit of perceived performance is to limit the framecap. It also helps slightly with the temperatures.

I use MSI Afterburner to lower the cap from 60 to 57, 55, 50 even 47. This means more stable performance at a slightly lower temperature, so it's great.

Depending on the game, it is difficult to notice the difference. Set motion blur to high, and the result is pretty good.

Clear out the dust and play at 60fps, that's about it.
Yes, dust shouldn't be a problem. I blew on the two fans (I don't have compressed air) and it should be fine. Dust wasn't that bad. In fact, the cooler the laptop is sitting on had acquired more dust.

It'd be cool if like in Mass Effect 1 you could deal with the temps by ejecting the cooler and putting in a fresh/cool one and dunk the hot one in cold water for a few minutes. It would get in the way of gaming but it'd be pretty fun to be reloading coolers every couple of minutes.

I'm a lonely male. I overclock everything possible on my tower PC.

I plan on buying a laptop cooler soon

Users who are viewing this thread

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6
Back