Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Kishimoto screwed over Boruto before it even began by never exploring the technology in the wider Naruto world and its non-ninja parts

• Thread starter WorthlessSlavicShit
  • Start date
WorthlessSlavicShit

WorthlessSlavicShit

Luminary
★★★★★
Title. I've been thinking about how disliked Boruto is and why it is so. One of those reasons is definitely the higher level of technology in Boruto than in Naruto, which I've just a few days ago seen the youtuber Dygoknight, the chief Boruto hater in my opinion, take a jab at. To many people, it seems painfully jarring to see Naruto characters working with computers, riding on trains, use chakra-powered miniguns or whatever it was that Ao used against Boruto, fight dinosaurs and aliens and so on.

Objectively speaking, the distaste for this is rather weird. Kishimoto himself has said that the tech level in Naruto is roughly equal to our world, if maybe a bit lower. Naruto was first published in 1999, and the overall tech level seen in Konoha is definitely similar to what you'd see in a smaller Japanese town in the 1980s or 1990s. Boruto was first published in 2016, in-universe it likewise takes place some 17 years or so after the 4th Great Ninja War, and this alone makes the aforementioned jab from Dygoknight at the series rather weak. Said jab was him complaining about the Chunin exams in Boruto being overseen by proctors through live cameras, despite him admitting in the same video that in the Chunin exams we've seen in Naruto, there already was at least one camera in the arena, and there's nothing weird about camera technology evolving over 17 years to allow people previously using standard wired cameras inside to place wireless ones outside.

However, I can't really fault the guy, or anyone shitting on the tech level in Boruto, because of the one decisive difference between our and Naruto's world. Naruto's world has no guns.

This fact is absolutely crucial. Konoha, and the other Hidden Ninja Villages, are essentially military towns. And in this world, militaries are the one thing that is completely different from what we have, since their soldiers are people who throw shurikens and fireballs at each other. In an entire world overall quite similar to ours, this series is focusing on the few places which are the most different from ours.

Over and over again in Naruto, because we are focusing on the few places most different to our world, we see people not interacting with anything even approaching modern technology. Again and again, the focus is on people who work with medieval-tier weapons and who use what is pretty much magic. Sure, when you look at the background, it's clear that this is a modern world, but who looks at the background when you can watch cool ninja fights?

Every single time we actually see some modern technology in Naruto, it's just in the background, never really interacted with and quickly forgotten. Sasuke has a TV and toy dinosaurs in his room, but we never see him watching that TV and he only plays with those toys in like one flashback panel. Orochimaru and Kabuto use computers and advanced medical technology for their experiments, but once again, we know this only because of a few panels and we never see them actively use those. I've even seen people mention that there already were electricity and ACs in Konoha right after it was established, but again, they are never interacted with, instead we see the Senju and the Uchiha fight themselves with swords and other medieval weapons.

Time and again, the fact of Naruto world's actual technological level is pushed into the background, and all we see are medieval-type battles with swords, kunais, shurikens, and, of course, jutsus. And then... we fast forward to the next generation, and suddenly Konoha is a metropolis with trains and omnipresent electronics. As it should be, given its tech level in Naruto and expecting a level of technological progress similar to ours. And of course, people dislike it, but can anyone blame them for not liking it when the previous serious itself had done everything it could to make itself look like a medieval series as much as it could? We know for a fact that there are dozens and dozens of normal, modern cities and towns outside of the Hidden Villages, with people living just like we did during the time when Naruto first started publication, with modern technology, economy and so on.

And we never see any of it. The closest we ever get to get an actual glimpse of the rest of the world apart from the Hidden Villages is in the Land of Waves Arc with Gatō and his organization. And... that's it. Gatō is the only non-ninja antagonist in the entirety of Naruto, filler included. Everything else is about fighting other ninjas, coming from other Hidden Villages, with the outside world apart from the ninja bubbles not interacting with it at all.

The only thing that comes even close to showing us modernity and the current technology in the Naruto world is the Hidden Rain Village, and that is, likewise, only peeked at and in the background with all the focus being on Pain, ninja fights, and so on, and it never appears again after it's no longer needed.

So, of course, when Boruto comes out and people see computers and such everywhere, they don't like it, because why would they? What's that stuff doing in a story where ninjas with each other with swords and magic? When Sasuke finally fulfills his childhood dream and goes from a child playing with toy dinosaurs into an adult fighting actual Edo Tensei'd dinosaurs with an ice kunai, people don't like it, because what's that doing in a ninja setting? Even though those panels in the manga make it clear that dinosaurs once existed on this world people know it, and Edo Tensei is one of the most prominent jutsus in the entire franchise, they still meme on it and dislike it.

And, of course, when the Otsutsukis appear and become the new main antagonists, people absolutely hate it, because what are aliens doing in a ninja story?? That's the thing though. Is there anything weird or wrong about aliens appearing in a ninja story with swords and magic? YES. There's everything weird and wrong with that. But there's much, much less wrong about aliens appearing in an 80s or 90s setting, and Naruto is a 1980s/1990s setting with swords and magic. The problem is, the latter part of its identity had been basically all we've been shown, while in the entire manga only tiny glimpses of the former, 80s/90s part, was shown. And so, people hate everything modern in there, because it just feels like it shouldn't be there, even though we know that that was never the author's intention.

good post i will answer latter, but i would say that it's like you also said, Otsutsukis what screwed this series. I would say that in general Naruto even when it was great was disliked by other fandoms especially HxH or OP, Bleach.

Madara was peak villain anyway. How can you make later antagonists as engaging as he was? Quite literally impossible task.

Otsutsukis were fucked from the start since they didn't have real narrative connection to the world aside from wanting chakra.

Boruto was screwed from the beginning. The world felt already complete. There were no mysteries to explore. All the goals were achieved and everything afterwards felt like an epilogue of sorts.

Furthermore, they added shallow ass characters from what I can recall and powerscalling doesn't make any kind of sense.

I never even watched Boruto. I just saw a few videos online talking about it. It was enough to deduce that it's shit.

Even the art looks worse because there was a completely different guy drawing it. It felt like a poorly made fanfic.

In my eyes this shit isn't even canon.

Madara was peak villain anyway. How can you make later antagonists as engaging as he was? Quite literally impossible task.

Otsutsukis were fucked from the start since they didn't have real narrative connection to the world aside from wanting chakra.

Boruto was screwed from the beginning. The world felt already complete. There were no mysteries to explore. All the goals were achieved and everything afterwards felt like an epilogue of sorts.

Furthermore, they added shallow ass characters from what I can recall and powerscalling doesn't make any kind of sense.

I never even watched Boruto. I just saw a few videos online talking about it. It was enough to deduce that it's shit.

Even the art looks worse because there was a completely different guy drawing it. It felt like a poorly made fanfic.

In my eyes this shit isn't even canon.
yes i don't see it as canon also, for me naruto vs saske final fight was last fight of whole series and fitting end

:yes::yes::yes::yes:

With how hyped over the course of the series Madara was and how much he had proved said hype, there was absolutely no way another character could be a better final villain. Even if Kishimoto knew from the start what he was going for, even if he had properly foreshadowed the arrival and existence of Kaguya and the other Otsutsuki, not even that I think could make Madara into anything else than the final villain that was meant to be, and when he didn't get to be that... yeah:feelswhat::feelsseriously:.

yes i don't see it as canon also, for me naruto vs saske final fight was last fight of whole series and fitting end
Exactly.

imo naruto in general is overrated slop preventing you from enjoying actual good animes. I watched the entire Naruto , then moved on to Shipuuden , God I nearly fell asleep would have been great if the fights weren't 30 episodes straight. Dropped it after 30 episodes or so because it was boring as fuck. I remember Naruto fighting in some cave or something it was a snooze fest.

I'd say the same goes for One Piece never got the appeal of those mainstream animes, you know that an anime is usually good if its not viewed enough by normies.

There is a reason why most of those animes are 1000+ episodes. Literally nothing new to bring to the table. Animes like death note, Monster are peak and that's why they're short.

I liked naruto when it was ninjas and shiet but then they became dragon ball z with NUCLEARBOMBUJUTSU just destroying half the world with balls of energy bullshit, stopped watching that then.

Naruto ended with Pain Arc.

Akatsuki arc was very good rest was trash.

imo naruto in general is overrated slop preventing you from enjoying actual good animes.
True. The worldbuilding is trash, and not just technology-wise as I've ranted about in the OP, and especially towards the end the plot holes just keep stacking higher and higher on top of each other.

I liked naruto when it was ninjas and shiet but then they became dragon ball z with NUCLEARBOMBUJUTSU just destroying half the world with balls of energy bullshit, stopped watching that then.
Imagin if there was at least one arc like the Land of Waves arc. Actual ninja, sneaky, stealth, tactical stuff. Just one more would've been enough.

Naruto ended with Pain Arc.

Akatsuki arc was very good rest was trash.
Hear hear:yes::yes:.

Couldn't agree more.
Also, once the stakes have been raised so high, it's really hard to keep readers/viewers engaged with lower stakes. The HxH fans like to pretend their anime can do that, but don't realize Green Island arc was almost a deal-breaker.

I'd say the same goes for One Piece never got the appeal of those mainstream animes, you know that an anime is usually good if its not viewed enough by normies.

There is a reason why most of those animes are 1000+ episodes. Literally nothing new to bring to the table. Animes like death note, Monster are peak and that's why they're short.
Death Note is mainstream as fuck.
Monster is overrated.

I doubt Kishimoto wholeheartedly wanted a continuation to Naruto. He seemed far more interested in his scifi manga which flopped instead.

Couldn't agree more.
Also, once the stakes have been raised so high, it's really hard to keep readers/viewers engaged with lower stakes. The HxH fans like to pretend their anime can do that, but don't realize Green Island arc was almost a deal-breaker.
Greed Island was just a whatever arc. Atleast it's somewhat unique in shonen. That's what should be acknowledged. It wasn't just constant fighting like the rest of shonen.

I disagree. Naruto was fucked from the moment the editors forced Kisihimoto to add a rival character (Sasuke).
If you ever read the Naruto pilot, it had more nuance. Instead of Kyuubi being a generic powerup, it was Naruto's father, which made the whole Naruto vs the village conflict more believable.
One of inspirations of Naruto, Akira, is very different thematically and artistically from most Shonen before and after it.
You can see the manga devolving from a somewhat gritty, inventive ninja world to another DBZ with golden powerups and light beams.
Speaking of DBZ, Toriyama, bless his soul, also gave in too much to editors and readers, and instead of a Gohan arc we got Uub and DB Super because of fanboys.

Anyways, if Naruto kept to a semirealistic fighting Shonen a la Zabuza and Chuunin arcs, advancing technology would have fit in better, since the lack of a power creep would have needed more inventive solutions for fights, instead of making a tenth variation of rasengan.
There is also the fact that just like DB Super, Boruto is a spinoff by another author, so you can expect inconsistencies, even if Kishimoto is involved.

TL;DR: Normies ruin everything as usual.

I disagree. Naruto was fucked from the moment the editors forced Kisihimoto to add a rival character (Sasuke).
If you ever read the Naruto pilot, it had more nuance.
Won't lie, this is a take I don't think I've seen before:feelsokman::waitwhat:.

Instead of Kyuubi being a generic powerup, it was Naruto's father, which made the whole Naruto vs the village conflict more believable.
Makes sense:yes::yes::yes:. Tbh, that "jinchuuriki are hated and ostracized" stuff was always a bit weird. Unless the Bijuu is visibly breaking through, the human is clearly fully in control, and when they grow up, the jinchuuriki always inevitably become top-tier elite shinobi. IRL, stuff like that would legitimately be like bullying someone you know is going to be a major celebrity or a billionaire:feelshaha:.

Anyways, if Naruto kept to a semirealistic fighting Shonen a la Zabuza and Chuunin arcs, advancing technology would have fit in better, since the lack of a power creep would have needed more inventive solutions for fights, instead of making a tenth variation of rasengan.
There is also the fact that just like DB Super, Boruto is a spinoff by another author, so you can expect inconsistencies, even if Kishimoto is involved.

TL;DR: Normies ruin everything as usual.
:yes::yes::yes:

Won't lie, this is a take I don't think I've seen before:feelsokman::waitwhat:.

Makes sense:yes::yes::yes:. Tbh, that "jinchuuriki are hated and ostracized" stuff was always a bit weird. Unless the Bijuu is visibly breaking through, the human is clearly fully in control, and when they grow up, the jinchuuriki always inevitably become top-tier elite shinobi. IRL, stuff like that would legitimately be like bullying someone you know is going to be a major celebrity or a billionaire:feelshaha:.

:yes::yes::yes:
Tbh if you read Chainsaw Man, you can see what happens when the author does not give much of a fuck towards the audience.

It is an unhinged rollercoaster where everyone is wondering what the fuck will happen in the next chapter, but that makes it fun.

Greed Island was just a whatever arc. Atleast it's somewhat unique in shonen. That's what should be acknowledged. It wasn't just constant fighting like the rest of shonen.
Yeah! Anything that isn't the formulaic shit where the MC's group splits up and each encounters an equally matched opponent. Fuck me, did Bleach abuse that formula.

A show about ninjas, but mixing in with technologies, lol...

But anyway Kishimoto relegated his duties to someone else. He gives the main idea, but the manga artist sort of does it his own way.

However, Boruto is actually one of the most popular mangas at the moment I believe.

I stopped carrying about Naruto towards the end when it started turning into dragonball z lol. I want to ninja stuff, not that sort of stuff. However, I still keep tabs on it, to see what happens next, and world-building just seems pretty nice overall.

However, Boruto is actually one of the most popular mangas at the moment I believe.
Yup, also explains why it will not end anytime soon.

I stopped carrying about Naruto towards the end when it started turning into dragonball z lol. I want to ninja stuff, not that sort of stuff. However, I still keep tabs on it, to see what happens next, and world-building just seems pretty nice overall.
Same here, it's one of the things I grew up on, I might not watch it anymore but I'm still following manga chapter recaps and keeping tabs on what's happening.

I've never watched Naruto or Bourto, is it worth it
OG Naruto's pretty good and definitely worth a watch.

Shippuden general opinion seems to be more of a nix compared to the OG series, but still very good when it comes to delivering payoffs for everything that had been happening.

Boruto is very divisive and mostly seen as non-canon trash by the fans of Naruto, though recently the manga seems to have been better received (the anime is comically bloated with filler episodes though.)

Users who are viewing this thread

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6
Back