Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Japanese empire happened as a response to European colonialism

BasedRiceBro

BasedRiceBro

Veteran
★★★★★
So how come China and India couldn't make an empire themselves as a response to European colonialism?

India was colony of Britain but i think China was always a strong country

So how come China and India couldn't make an empire themselves as a response to European colonialism?
China had the qing dynasty. India wasn't really unified iirc and there was no real social cohesion amongst the various groups within it. Japan was able to modernize and then expand because they were unified

China already had a huge territory. They don't needed more.

China and India were the largest and most prominent Asian powers so they took a lot of military, political and business attention from major powers which spared Japan, plus feudal Japan was much more centralized given its size than India or China which are impossible to centrally control beyond the imperial capital unless you have massive zonal armies which Imperial China usually did but they were also militiraly and technologically outclassed. Plus US transferred a lot of tech to Japan which Europeans never did with ricecels and currycels of china and India, US made Imperial Japan an industrial power in dire need of raw materials

China had the qing dynasty. India wasn't really unified iirc and there was no real social cohesion amongst the various groups within it. Japan was able to modernize and then expand because they were unified
The concept of an "Indian" identity literally only exists due to colonialism

Beforehand, sure they had the sense of being a continent with a unique populace on it, but they had no cohesion due to the various linguistic, socio-cultural, religious, and other differences within it.

China was on its way to industrialization but conservative ministers sabotaged it if I remember correctly.

China was already very powerful before the Meiji revolution. The Meiji revolution just happened during China's century of humiliation.

Beforehand, sure they had the sense of being a continent with a unique populace on it, but they had no cohesion due to the various linguistic, socio-cultural, religious, and other differences within it.
India is like Europe, you cannot have a country called Europe, sure it is a larger identity but as you said the modern Indian nation only exists cos of Britbongs

they really had no country?

India is like Europe, you cannot have a country called Europe, sure it is a larger identity but as you said the modern Indian nation only exists cos of Britbongs
over for indians which live in a european created state

China was on its way to industrialization but conservative ministers sabotaged it if I remember correctly.
Yea the King of France, Sun king or idk someone else wanted to assist China in its industrialisation but insular and egoist ricecels denied

they really had no country?
India was the final dream of any state in India, you can only call yourself as an Emperor only if you conquered all of it, but it was an Imperial ambition and cultural continuum not a nation state

Ye I read of this

China also is much larger which would be harder to govern(kinda the same for Russia)
China was already very powerful before the Meiji revolution. The Meiji revolution just happened during China's century of humiliation.
Meiji revolution is quite interesting to read about

I like the Japanese because of their Samurai culture & also because of how quickly they advanced
Exactly.

I'd say this is part of the reason it's very ineffective as a country: Too diverse so less cohesion & more divisive factors, such as religion, take priority.
India was the final dream of any state in India, you can only call yourself as an Emperor only if you conquered all of it, but it was an Imperial ambition and cultural continuum not a nation state
Kind of like how Napoleon wanted to rule all of Europe(and some more)

India was just a geographic & socio-cultural continuum of sorts.

Meiji revolution is quite interesting to read about

I like the Japanese because of their Samurai culture & also because of how quickly they advanced
It's impressive how quickly the Japanese advanced.

It's impressive how quickly the Japanese advanced.
It is, they also did it much more efficiently than the Chinese did.

The whole "Who's better: China v. Japan" debate online is one of my favorite ones, due to the fact there's good arguments for both points I'd say.

Even if one is better objectively, it's a close one.

It is, they also did it much more efficiently than the Chinese did.

The whole "Who's better: China v. Japan" debate online is one of my favorite ones, due to the fact there's good arguments for both points I'd say.

Even if one is better objectively, it's a close one.
Both are great countries imo.

they then proceeded to colonize