Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Is the looks taboo imprinted in our genes?

Fontaine

Fontaine

Overlord
★★★★★
The looks taboo is very forceful. You can't go to a party and start saying aloud that X is ugly, unless you're a sociopath. You also can't say to your friends that you find yourself ugly and will never get a girlfriend because of that. At best, everyone will feel very uncomfortable.

Is it partly innate? Are we wired to avoid mentioning the subject of looks in public? I believe so. I think it goes back to our earliest, darkest primitive form. Back when humans were apes, looks and health were the foremost factor in social status. Like chicken or chimpanzees, we tended to exclude or even kill the ugliest and disabled. After humanity evolved, we began to think of ourselves as more civilized, and the mention of looks or ugliness "gives off a cold", because it reminds us of the harshest truths of nature.

Fontaine you know this, stop pretending to be low IQ :lul:

did you go to high school?

If you buy into the theory of natural selection, kind of, yeah.

Kids mention it. My older coworker literally talked about how his kid used call this guest he had for dinner ugly. It becomes unacceptable as you get older for obvious reasons.

The looks taboo is very forceful. You can't go to a party and start saying aloud that X is ugly, unless you're a sociopath. You also can't say to your friends that you find yourself ugly and will never get a girlfriend because of that. At best, everyone will feel very uncomfortable.

Is it partly innate? Are we wired to avoid mentioning the subject of looks in public? I believe so. I think it goes back to our earliest, darkest primitive form. Back when humans were apes, looks and health were the foremost factor in social status. Like chicken or chimpanzees, we tended to exclude or even kill the ugliest and disabled. After humanity evolved, we began to think of ourselves as more civilized, and the mention of looks or ugliness "gives off a cold", because it reminds us of the harshest truths of nature.
It's just social norm that becomes more obvious when you get older. As a young child for example you have no real filter and say everything what you think at the moment. Now as you grow older it becomes less and less socially acceptable and you learn to filter things you say and weight the consequences of your words.