Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion Incel Fiction: H.P. Lovecraft's "The Outsider"

Persecuted

Persecuted

Domesticate women, restore normality
A while ago I went back to revisit of one my favourites authors, H.P. Lovecraft, even after swallowing blackpill, my enjoyment of his work hasn't changed. In this thread, I want to explore the themes and tropes of short story (just 10 pages) titled The Outsider. I think this story takes unique position among other Lovecraft's works for a few reasons.

The first important reason: narrative breaks away from typical lovecraftian heroes. The Titular Outsider take place of rationalists, sceptics and other man of science that are found in other Lovecraft's work. The other reason, the usual shocking relvelation, the common trope in author's writing, comes from within. Our hero doesn't come to contact with eldritch being that shatters his rational worldview and leaves him with insanity. He learns truth about himself.

The narrator of The Outsider is the main hero, He tells of his years of isolation and loneliness in a dark, decrepit castle, that he remembers ever since he was born. He is alone, he never knew anybody else beside himself. The only source of knowledge he has are old books found in his castle, from which he learns about others. The trees are so lush and tall that they blackend the sky and block the sunlight. However, there is one ruined tower tall enough to tower over the trees, but, as our hero notes, climibng it is a dauntless task. As he makes his way out of his prison, he finds another castle full of people, partying toghther. As he makes his entrance people flee from terror. It's here where he learn the truth, that it's his hideous, ghoulish appearence that made others terrefied.

I think many incels will related to lonliness and alienation that the Outsider experiences. The way he fantasizes about better life and of sharing life with others. The dark castle of the Outsider can also be used to symbolizes Inceldom. The state of dreadful loneliness and feeling of not fitting in society. Likewise, the Tower can represent the struggles of incels trying to escape inceldom - long, sisyphean struggle that you're alone in. And the finale. We can interpret this literally that our main hero became something monsterous, something less than a human. We can also see this as metaphor for being ugly, at how others judge you for it and don't want to associate with you, beacause of it. We see how he tries to hold to his bluepill by looking for something else that made people terrified. How he struggles with accepting blackpill and how he eventaully starts to cope.
One line especially stuck in my mind:​
I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.

General notes on Lovecraft's writing:

Without hesitation I can recommend Lovecraft. Romance and love subplots are usually hard for me to get through and sometimes even discourge me from reading. Thankfully Lovecraft fiction has none of it. It's a conscious decision of Lovecraft to not make it part of his aesthetic. Loner from Providence also represent world in his fiction as uncaring place, full of power that are best uninterested in human wellbeing. This will resonate with many here that view the suffering in this world as unecessary and pointlessly cruel.
At the end I need to add that ehtnicels might not like the writing of Lovecraft's due to his unapologetically low opinion on non-white people. Those usually range form remarks about primitivnes and superstition of blacks to themes of racial miscegenation, that turn humans that breed with lower races into human mockery resembling an animal. I undoubtedly enjoy this part of Lovecraft, seening at how popular his is now and how uneasy NPCs and (((elites))) are with his views.

I read everything you wrote. I definitely relate to the outsider. Incidentally, most people are not going to read the whole post. Not to drag you down, but intellectuality seems to drive people away quite often. Which is one the reasons I make short posts, as precise as possible. Don't expect multiple replies. Good post.

good write up about it ill definitely check it out :feelsokman:
i never checked out lovecraft because i always thought he was just spooky monster and some edgier normies have talked about him. But i know his influence is widespread and he had a cat named nigger which is hilarious

I read everything you wrote. I definitely relate to the outsider. Incidentally, most people are not going to read the whole post. Not to drag you down, but intellectuality seems to drive people away quite often. Which is one the reasons I make short posts, as precise as possible. Don't expect multiple replies. Good post.
I don't give a shit if humblebraggers or low iq subhumans don't respond to this thread. I've written it to put my thoughts in one place. I would much rather have few meaningful replies than a flood of "High IQ :feelstastyman:" one liners.

good write up about it ill definitely check it out :feelsokman:
i never checked out lovecraft because i always thought he was just spooky monster and some edgier normies have talked about him. But i know his influence is widespread and he had a cat named nigger which is hilarious
It's a surface appearance created by subsequent authors that picked up Lovecraft's writing and created "Cthulhu mythos". Lovecraft himself was a intelligent individual with mulitple interstest that went outside just literature. In his writing you will often find many allusion to science, art and politics, although they aren't usually too deep, they illustrate very well that Lovecraft was a person with extensive knowledge.

But to be honest his writing can be schematic, it's more of a trait older literature than Lovecraft specifically. As authors of the past paid great attention to conventions and forms to convey the meaning. The most common example of this in Lovecraft is that he tend to describe the eldritch being vaugly and end it with "the creature was too ungodly and terrifing to describe it". It does well to drive home the themes and concepts of his works, but it can be tiring if you're not used to it.

Lovecrafts writing is also much more varied than most give credit to it. If you wanna get deep into lovecraft, I recommend getting collection of his works that preferably group his works in chronological order as this will give you good sense of how Lovecraft's writing evolved over time.

However, if you want to read Lovecraft selectively I recommend reading The Dunwitch Horror, The Whisperrer in Darkness, In Moutain of Madness, The Shadow over Innsmouth and The Shadow Out of Time. Those work come form the period when Lovecraft already master his signature style. I also don't recommend reading Call of Cthulhu, It's undoubtly one of his most important works, but I find that his later works largely overshadow it. For me it's just too safe and too schematic .

Last edited:
It a surface appearance created by subsequent authors that picked up Lovecraft's writing and created "Cthulhu mythos". Lovecraft himself was a intelligent individual with mulitple interstest that went outside just literature. In his writing you will often find many allusion to science, art and politics, although they aren't usually too deep, they illustrate very well that Lovecraft was a person with extensive knowledge.

But to be honest his writing can be schematic, it's more of a trait older literature than Lovecraft specifically. As authors of the past paid great attention to conventions and forms to convey the meaning. The most common example of this in Lovecraft is that he tend to describe the eldritch being vaugly and end it with "the creature was too ungodly and terrifing to describe it". It does well to drive home the themes and concepts of his works, but it can be tiring if you're not used to it.

Lovecrafts writing is also much more varied than most give credit to it. If you wanna get deep into lovecraft, I recommend getting collection of his works that preferably group his works in chronological order as this will give you good sense of how Lovecraft's writing evolved over time.

However, if you want to read Lovecraft selectively I recommend reading The Dunwitch Horror, The Whisperrer in Darkness, In Moutain of Madness, The Shadow over Innsmouth and The Shadow Out of Time. Those work come form the period when Lovecraft already master his signature style. I also don't recommend reading Call of Cthulhu, It's undoubtly one of his most important works, but I find that his later works largely overshadow it. For me it's just too safe and too schematic .
have you read his work extensively? You sound as if you have.
I am very interested in it and it sounds like a great cope instead of reading books about a chad hero in the end always getting their girl of their dreams. I do understand its just fiction and like happy endings started in books but it still gets tiresome when its all we ever see in movies, music, art and in literature.
thank you for the recommendations I will go looking for some of them soon i want to start collecting some books i like and lovecraft could fit right in. Thanks brocel

have you read his work extensively? You sound as if you have.
I am very interested in it and it sounds like a great cope instead of reading books about a chad hero in the end always getting their girl of their dreams. I do understand its just fiction and like happy endings started in books but it still gets tiresome when its all we ever see in movies, music, art and in literature.
thank you for the recommendations I will go looking for some of them soon i want to start collecting some books i like and lovecraft could fit right in. Thanks brocel
I was interested in Lovecraft ever since I was in middle school. This post is a culmination of it. I don't know everything about Lovecraft and didn't read every single of his book.

Lovecraft himself was very discontent with the age and society that he lived in, which reflects in his works, hence over all pesimistic tone found in it. Lovecraft himself deserves a thread of his own. If I will have chance, I do it.
I'm glad that I can share my knowledge and engage in something productive.

It's a good story, I can definitely relate to the main character

It's heartwarming to be acknowledged by none other than H.P. Lovecraft himself. His story about the outsider goes to show an unpleasant but well known fact: involuntary celibates have always existed. As human minds tend to fear what they don't know, the uncanny appeareance of our main character evokes a reaction of terror in those who saw him. His immediate reaction: to deny, to disregard it all as something else's fault. Indeed, that's the first stage of grief: denial. We all have experienced it in some form or another.

Last edited:
It's heartwarming to be acknowledged by none other than H.P. Lovecraft himself. His story about the outsider goes to show an unpleasant but well known fact: involuntary celibates have always existed. As human minds tend to fear what they don't know, the uncanny appeareance of our main character evokes a reaction of terror in those who saw him. His immediate reaction: to deny, to disregard it all as something else's fault. Indeed, that's the first stage of grief: denial. We all have experienced it in some form or another.
Story also has appearntly autobiographical element to it. Lovecraft's father was confined to a mental institution and he died there, all when Lovecraft was still a boy. Lovecraft suffer from poor menatal and physical health during his childhood and adolescence, he was also aware and afraid of history of mental illnesses in his famliy, which left a mark on his writing.

Lovecraft also had abusive realtionship with his mother. His mother use to tell him that he's ugly and he was convinced of it throughout the most of his life. Some report that when he was walking in public, he used to cover his face with a coat to avoid ridcule. So you can see the story potrayed in The Outsider, is all the more genuine and is not the just result of a creative talent.

I may also add that Lovecraft also first married at the age of 34, and he spent large portion of his marriage in separation due to poor financial condition.

My favourite short story and you added my favourite quote at the end.

Seems to be a good story, altough i wish there were a novel that had the same type of first-person narrative of Lolita and great aesthetic style of prose/writing but with a incel protagonist, most fiction regarding incel-like metaphors are from the viewpoint of an isolated man with intelectual knowledge about the world outside without being included, like a lonely sage. Overall a nice story.

I like the idea of eldeich gods too powerful beyond our comprehension. I wonder what it would be like to be one

I like the idea of eldeich gods too powerful beyond our comprehension. I wonder what it would be like to be one
I think that when Lovecraft wrote about those eldritch being, he didn't postulate the existance of such being, which are highly improbable. I think they rather should be interpreted in metaphorical sense. They are symbolic representation of knowledege that defies anthropocentic, optimistic worldview based on science and ultimately makes human life meaningless. It's not coincidence that that most of Lovecraft's protagonists are men with worldview rooted in science, that come in contact with those mind-shattering beings. It can be seen as symbolic representation of XXth century culture.