Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

SuicideFuel How Social Isolation Affects the Brain

SandNiggerKANG

SandNiggerKANG

brain damaged from kikepills
★★★★★

How Social Isolation Affects the Brain​

Being alone greatly changes some brain regions more than others.​

Posted January 7, 2023 Reviewed by Vanessa Lancaster

KEY POINTS​

• Our need for social interactions is as fundamental as our need for proper nutrition and adequate sleep.
  • Social isolation causes decreased white matter in brain regions critical for thinking and emotional control.
  • Connectivity changes between the amygdala and frontal lobes are associated with increased behavioral problems.
One of the most important consequences of society’s response to COVID-19 was the clear demonstration that our need for social interactions is as fundamental as our need for proper nutrition and adequate sleep.
Physical distancing, quarantines, and lockdowns increased the incidence of depression in adults and adolescents. Past psychological studies documented that people experiencing prolonged social isolation, such as orphans and empty nesters, have an increased risk of depression and insomnia.

Monkeys raised in partial or total isolation since birth were hostile toward others and could not form adequate social attachments in adolescence or adulthood. The degree of social damage was related to the duration of social isolation. Sophisticated neuroimaging analyses of humans and monkeys revealed structural alterations in two critical brain regions for normal social interactions and emotion control, the prefrontal cortex and amygdala. To a somewhat smaller degree, changes were also observed in the hippocampus. The total volume of the amygdala was consistently larger in response to social isolation; this likely underlies the profound emotional problems observed.

Cellular changes in response to social isolation included significant alterations in oligodendrocyte development. Oligodendrocytes form the myelin, which is called white matter. It is critical for neuronal communication. Neuroimaging studies reported abnormalities of consistently reduced total gray and white matter volumes in the prefrontal cortex and hippocampus. The loss of total white matter likely explains why electroencephalography (EEG) analyses have reported abnormal patterns of brain activity in the frontal, temporal, and occipital brain regions in children reared in social isolation.

These changes in neural activity reflect a significant delay in cortical maturation. Children who experienced early social isolation, such as in orphanages, showed decreased white matter integrity, particularly in neural pathways that connect the frontal and temporal lobes, where thinking and memories are processed. The changes in connectivity between brain regions were associated with increased behavioral problems. One specific change, the loss of connectivity between the prefrontal cortex and amygdala, which are believed to be critical for emotion regulation and fear learning, was considered most responsible for the continued immature behaviors and social problems of children after long-term social isolation.

In adults, after social isolation, the dopamine neural systems became selectively activated when shown pictures of social activities. For comparison, a similar response is seen in response to food cues after prolonged fasting. A recent study reported that the multi-year reduced social interaction due to COVID-19 resulted in volumetric increases in the bilateral amygdala, putamen, and anterior temporal cortices.

Most importantly, the changes in the amygdala were reduced as time elapsed after the release from lockdown. This suggests that, in adults at least, the brain changes due to the prolonged social isolation associated with the COVID-19 lockdown are reversible.
THE BASICS
References
Xiong Y et al., (2023) Social isolation and the brain: effects and mechanisms. Molecular Psychiatry, 28:191; https://doi.org/10.1038/s41380-022-01835-w
Wenk GL (2017) The Brain: What Everyone Needs to Know, Oxford University Press.
Salomon T et al., (2021) Brain volumetric changes in the general population following the COVID-19 outbreak and lockdown. Neuroimage, 239:118311

Remember when normies got all depressed and roped during covid lockdown? They were involuntarily in our shoes. And they couldn’t handle it

IMG 0849

IMG 0850

How to counter that

Yes it damages your brain and you become like Biden.

Yes, stutter, anxious voice, forgetting words, weird structure of sentences
I have to always think about how to word my sentences to sound the most "normal" whenever I have to talk to someone but it ends up coming out as more fucked up

Monkeys raised in partial or total isolation since birth were hostile toward others and could not form adequate social attachments in adolescence or adulthood. The degree of social damage was related to the duration of social isolation.
It's over.

How do these studies make you feel ? Personally it doesn't make me sad, it just makes me angry that society only cares when it happens to the least affected (normies).

It's over.

How do these studies make you feel ? Personally it doesn't make me sad, it just makes me angry that society only cares when it happens to the least affected (normies).
Makes me feel like roping tbh pure suifuel

Remember when normies got all depressed and roped during covid lockdown? They were involuntarily in our shoes. And they couldn’t handle it
They’d kill themselves because they can’t match under the great erenyeagers hooorible life

It's over.

This will destroy civilization the childish act of not helping incels

Where do we need those studies when normies tell us we're not entitled to social life, physical intimacy and sex, and how we should find something else (copes, wageslaving ass off and remaining silent)? Just joking, these studies are a good reminder for bluepillers about the reality we're living in. I already started to forget things easily, I'm not as creative as in the past and I'm more tired and angry, that's what LDAR and touch starvation does and I didn't take that plandemic poison.

If it wasn't for those quarantine normie cucks and toilets who had a little sneak peek from our live, those researchers probably wouldn't give a shit about loneliness. Only fake loneliness, temporary isolation, dry spells and loneliness as a mental state matters.