Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

How can we be sure anybody but ourselves is "real?"

A Good Friend

A Good Friend

True Force Loneliness
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_perception

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idealism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie

Am I just projecting all of this?

What's the difference if it all comes back to my sensory lobes at the end of the day?

External may as well not matter.

EDIT: whoops, missed the big one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism

should have done my homework, here's the direct school of thought: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphysical_solipsism

I'll let you know in 10 min, after I get baked.

That's like asking how can you be sure there isn't a god

OTaKu_WarrIOr_N said:
That's like asking how can you be sure there isn't a god

with a little more "bite" in the evidential, though

If I'm making the case for god, I can say "we're here, the earth is here" but that doesn't really finger a specific creator

When I say "I at least know that I am aware," I can, at the very least, be sure of that myself. I have all the evidence in my own perception and possibly none of the evidence to support the existence of anything but me

To say you are real is a leap of faith on my part

A Good Friend said:
To say you are real is a leap of faith on my part
yes but he is who he is

nausea said:
yes but he is who he is
He is who you think he is. It all comes back to your brain. It doesn't matter if you can taste, touch, hear, or smell him (gay), all you know for sure is the representation your brain gave you of him.

As far as you're concerned, that's all that is real. The representation may be the whole.

A Good Friend said:
nausea said:
yes but he is who he is
He is who you think he is. It all comes back to your brain. It doesn't matter if you can taste, touch, hear, or smell him (gay), all you know for sure is the representation your brain gave you of him.
As far as you're concerned, that's all that is real. The representation may be the whole.
you didn't get it

nausea said:
you didn't get it
Yui-Hirasawa-yui-hirasawa-16561912-1280-1024.jpg

plz expln

nausea said:

That's what I thought.

>"One reason for the lack of support of this philosophical position is how strange it would be for a solipsist to preach solipsism - as if to convince everyone around them that they are purely a figment of the author's own imagination. The very idea of communicating philosophical ideas would be arbitrary to a true solipsist, as according to them, there is no other mind with whom they would communicate their beliefs."

Is this a solid refutation?

Just seems kind of like a clever-ish criticism to me.

A Good Friend said:
Is this a solid refutation?
too much weed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnaTLcFpQnE

no, for the last time, I am not a Russian bot.

I once had a panic attack on weed because I though I was just a brain in a vat

How can you be sure you are real? What makes you think that you aren't just programmed to think you're real?

I think, therefore I am

we're all just bits of reflected light in each others eyes, literally.

tenta said:
we're all just bits of reflected light in each others eyes, literally.

Of course we are.

What if you're the only real person, and when you die, you just replay your same life with the same timeline from the beginning with no memory?

How can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real?

for real, anybody of you ever tripped on shrooms?

Classic_Jarvis said:
for real, anybody of you ever tripped on shrooms?

some acid in my youth

actually now that I think about it, my friend gave me the bottom of his shroom-bag of dust and stems at a party, had to work in a few hours and felt out of my head all day

I always feel like the reality I'm living in right now, could be a dream or perhaps even a nightmare. Most Incels want to escape from the horrors they live-by everyday...

idkwattodowithlife said:
I always feel like the reality I'm living in right now, could be a dream or perhaps even a nightmare. Most Incels want to escape from the horrors they live-by everyday...

I ask myself the titular question most often when feeling somewhat suicidal, because I of course think of my family, then I wonder if they'd even be here once my mind shut down. Either way, they would cease to exist for me.

We can't. Therefore, there's no point in worrying about anything outside of yourself. Kind of liberating actually.

MrTran said:
We can't. Therefore, there's no point in worrying about anything outside of yourself. Kind of liberating actually.

Lots of things are, but the idea of asking this masturbatory question is to keep that great philosophical circlejerk handed down throughout the ages going until we all die.

A Good Friend said:
Lots of things are, but the idea of asking this masturbatory question is to keep that great philosophical circlejerk handed down throughout the ages going until we all die.

Reality cannot be understood directly. We can only interpret it using our senses. Our interpretation of reality, therefore, serves to actually shape what we feel is real or not. As long as you're living, you might as well shape your interpretation of reality in a way that best suits you. There does not seem to be any point in doing anything else. Suffer for the sake of suffering? Why would I do that? There is already enough pain on this planet already - real or imagined. Why add to it unnecessarily through our thoughts?

MrTran said:
As long as you're living, you might as well shape your interpretation of reality in the best possible sense.

I can shape, but I also must accept the forces that shaped me thus far. Even if they're purely internal, they still made a product, and that product seems to want to chew the fat of whatever stupid idea pops into it's head while it's trying to suffer through the day.

I can't help it if I'm vacuuming and something stupid like Xeno's Paradox appears in my brain.

MrTran said:
Why add to it unnecessarily through your thoughts?

You can add to it by bombarding it with information, but even in a vacuum of thoughts, the suffering persists. May as well go the distraction route. God bless anchoring mechanisms.

You're just overthinking m8. In the end nobody *really* knows anything about the true nature of reality. The entire universe could have been created 5 minutes ago, and we would have no way of knowing. Just control your thinking as best you can, stop worrying about useless crap, and live your life the way you want to. No point in getting caught up in silly philosophical debates.

MrTran said:
No point in getting caught up in silly philosophical debates.

There's no point not to, either.