Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

How can consciousness be created through a mechanical system?

Reclusemaxxer

Reclusemaxxer

-
How can consciousness be created through a mechanical system?

I've been thinking about this for a while, and haven't really posted on Reddit before, so apologies if this is a question that doesn't belong here.

I want to start by saying that by consciousness, I mean your sense of "self." You know that you are the same being you have always been since your first memory, almost by definition. While your experiences have slowly changed and morphed this sense of "self," you recognize that it has still been YOU having those experiences over the years/decades. Your consciousness doesn't materialize or dematerialize for years at a time, but is a daily, continuous experience.

Next, I want to discuss why I believe the brain is effectively a mechanical device. While it's true that the neurons use neurochemicals and electrical impulses to communicate, ultimately, on the micro level, it's nothing more than protein molecules being moved by other molecules/electrons in an impossibly complex manner. Despite the fact we discern "chemical" from "mechanical" in our macro world, ultimately, it's a matter of scale, and at what scale a force is being applied. If a molecule moves a molecule, it's considered a chemical reaction. But if a large series of molecules moves another large series of molecules, it becomes mechanical. At the end of the day, it's all one thing physically moving another.

All that said, how can a fundamentally mechanical system create a constant sense of self, unchanged, for the lifetime of the being? Localized, a neuron is nothing more than unliving protein molecules reacting to molecules floating nearby. Two neurons are just two clusters of these proteins that can now mechanically interact with each other (again, the components of a cell are not living, and all of the reactions are purely mechanical and not based on "the cell deciding to behave a certain way"). At some point, however, when you connect enough of these independent mechanical systems, you create the most complex thing in the universe. Literally. (Neurons can connect to any other neuron in any length of pathing, meaning that the possible neural connections, or thoughts, can be described as 80 billion factorial. That means there are more neural pathways possible than there are subatomic particles in the known universe). And this consciousness is living, unlike the parts. It is reactive, subjective, and capable of pondering its own existence. And even if it wouldn't be considered far-fetched that 80 billion of these independent machines can come together and produce something as spectacularly complex as consciousness (and by pure chance, no less), why would that product be a continuous stream? Why wouldn't it be an infinite series of independent consciousness' that react to the environment in the moment, only to be replaced by the next burst of consciousness?

I know this was more rambling than anything, and a lot of the thoughts are incomplete or poorly articulated, but I wanted to at least throw this out there and see what others think :)

(Side note: Kinda neat how my set of 86 million neurons can communicate with your set of 86 million neurons despite having no physical connection)

It's like, computers are made of processors, and those are made up of teeny tiny AND and OR gates... Which all together can run an operating system or run some machine learning.

We're just greater than the sum of our parts, but it's crazy, yeah

Allah created us and his creations are perfect and difficult to understand

I have thought about this for my entire life.
The only feasible solution I can come up with, since I'm the only mind I can control, Im the only mind that exists.
Basically I'm the only real person in a simulation

consciousness has its origin in the human soul

I have thought about this for my entire life.
The only feasible solution I can come up with, since I'm the only mind I can control, Im the only mind that exists.
Basically I'm the only real person in a simulation

Have you thought about how to break out from the simulation? Any techniques?

Have you thought about how to break out from the simulation? Any techniques?
1. Ddos the universe, overload it. (For example let a billion atomic bombs explode at once)
2. End the simulation by cancelling it (killing large amounts of humans and even the planet itself)
(Only works if I am constantly observed and my supervisors have set up rules)
3. Dying
(Not guaranteed)
4. Find proof that this is a simulation (For example sudden movements that lag in the mirrors, or zoom into a microscope far enough to see pixels)
5. Escape its boundaries with a rocket(If the simulation only consists of earth, unlikely), (it's likelier that a. The simulation consists of the entire universe b. I enter another simulation
6. By lucid dreaming. I've had a dream already where I saw the real world. I was terrified all day after it. My immediate reaction after waking up was fear of ever leaving the simulation again. What I saw was almost traumatizing, but no one else can relate...
I might make a post about this *dream I had* if any.

Might sound extremely arrogant but I don't think it's a coincidence that:
I am blackpilled, I know human nature (0,0001%)
IQ of 141
Have always asked myself this question meanwhile others never did
Experience the bad side of life, with people around me having me influenced to improve myself.

I believe my supervisors hold no intentional harm against me but rather do what's best for them and not for me.
Maybe I am one of them and am trained to be masculine and fearless as that's my life goal.
I saw war and suffering