Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Have you ever randomly been asked if youre autistic

Samurai

Samurai

Jesus Christ Conquers
In the past two years I've been randomly asked if I have autism by four different people, meaning it must be obvious I'm autistic and others are just too polite to ask

In the past two years I've been randomly asked if I have autism by four different people, meaning it must be obvious I'm autistic and others are just too polite to ask
yes

Only my mom asks me that

what makes them think you're autistic

none asked me yet lol cuz everyone is too dumb in here on what autism is

No but people said I look depressed or tired

My boomer ski instructor asked my Mom if I was autistic.

Yes and I'm NT

Yes I may as well wear a sign that says "autistic"

Yeah I've been asked whether/told I was autistic before... by a total of maybe 6-7 people in my whole life?

Not much but not great either

i been told by someone that i look special ed if that counts

No I havent

Yes, many times. At this point, I'm strongly considering investing in one of those baseball caps that says "Please be patient, I have autism".

No, despite being diagnosed autistic.

autism has become a meme.

In reality, if you think you might be autistic - then you are likely not. It's a ego-dystonic condition, like Alzheimers or Schizophrenia. You'll never see a guy with Alzheimers come to the doctor and say he's concerned he's forgetting things. Likewise, a Schizophrenic will never come in saying he's concerned he's going crazy.

So the whole "I might be autistic" thing is often attention-seeking behavior and inappropriate pathologizing. No, you're not autistic. You're just shy/anxious/introverted/lonely/other.

Last edited:
Yes and I am actually autistic ( aspie )

In reality, if you think you might be autistic - then you are likely not. It's a ego-dystonic condition, like Alzheimers or Schizophrenia. You'll never see a guy with Alzheimers come to the doctor and say he's concerned he's forgetting things. Likewise, a Schizophrenic will never come in saying he's concerned he's going crazy.

So the whole "I might be autistic" thing is often attention-seeking behavior and inappropriate pathologizing. No, you're not autistic. You're just shy/anxious/introverted/lonely/other.

When I switched family doctors at 29 from an old male doctor to a younger female doctor, she almost immediately (second visit, considered it on first visit) suggested I was autistic and gave me a referral for diagnosis.

My reason for having gone that time? My mom made me paranoid about blood pressure problems since it runs in the family. It was normal, and no mention of autism, the doctor just brought it up because apparently it's that obvious, especially to females.

I've never been asked that question before. Im just a normal person

I've never been asked that question before. Im just a normal person

I have been clinically diagnosed as having very autistic, but I agree with you, many say they have it when they don't. They wouldn't be able to live through what I have to go through.

I've been told i seem autistic many times. I doubt i am, though. I'm just odd i guess.

I have been clinically diagnosed as having very autistic, but I agree with you, many say they have it when they don't. They wouldn't be able to live through what I have to go through.
It's especially common with foids nowadays. These last few years everyone and their grandma have been diagnosed, most of them are completely normal

once or twice

Mom makes it very clear telling me im autistic.

I like you, but I suspect you are of the category I described - attention-seeking.

What doctor diagnosed you? According to what scale?

I have a medical degree and had to study psychiatric topics in depth among other things. I'm certainly not an expert but I know probably more of this topic than most people on this site.

Here is the actual DSM-5 criteria used by doctors in the U.S. to identify autism (after which, there are tests with different scales):
DSM, Fifth edition criteria – According to the DSM, Fifth edition Text Revision (DSM-5-TR) criteria, a diagnosis of ASD requires all of the following [30]:

•Persistent deficits in social communication and social interaction in multiple settings; demonstrated by deficits in all three of the following (either currently or by history):

-Social-emotional reciprocity (eg, failure to produce mutually enjoyable and agreeable conversations or interactions because of a lack of mutual sharing of interests, lack of awareness or understanding of the thoughts or feelings of others)

-Nonverbal communicative behaviors used for social interaction (eg, difficulty coordinating verbal communication with its nonverbal aspects [eye contact, facial expressions, gestures, body language, and/or prosody/tone of voice])

-Developing, maintaining, and understanding relationships (eg, difficulty adjusting behavior to social setting, lack of ability to show expected social behaviors, lack of interest in socializing, difficulty making friends even when interested in having friendships)

•Restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior, interests, or activities; demonstrated by ≥2 of the following (either currently or by history):

-Stereotyped or repetitive movements, use of objects, or speech (eg, stereotypies such as rocking, flapping, or spinning; echolalia [repeating parts of speech]; repeating scripts from movies or prior conversations; ordering toys into a line)

-Insistence on sameness, unwavering adherence to routines, or ritualized patterns of verbal or nonverbal behavior (eg, difficulty with transitions, greeting rituals, need to eat the same food every day)

-Highly restricted, fixated interests that are abnormal in strength or focus (eg, preoccupation with certain objects [trains, vacuum cleaners, or parts of trains or vacuum cleaners]); perseverative interests (eg, excessive focus on a topic such as dinosaurs or natural disasters)
h
-Increased or decreased response to sensory input or unusual interest in sensory aspects of the environment (eg, adverse response to particular sounds; apparent indifference to temperature; excessive touching/smelling of objects)

•The symptoms must impair function (eg, social, academic, completing daily routines).

•The symptoms must be present in the early developmental period. However, they may become apparent only after social demands exceed limited capacity; in later life, symptoms may be masked by learned strategies.

•The symptoms are not better explained by intellectual disability or global developmental delay.

ASD may occur with or without medical, genetic, neurodevelopmental, mental, or behavioral problems (eg, intellectual impairment, language impairment, epilepsy, fetal valproate or alcohol exposure). The presence or absence of these problems are specified as part of the DSM-5-TR diagnosis of ASD (eg, ASD with accompanying intellectual impairment, ASD without accompanying language impairment) [30]. Some accompanying conditions are identified during the comprehensive evaluation; others may require additional testing. (See 'Evaluation for associated conditions' below.)

The clinical features of ASD, including examples of deficits and abnormal functioning in these domains, are discussed separately. (See "Autism spectrum disorder in children and adolescents: Clinical features".)

ICD 11th Revision criteria – The ICD 11th Revision (ICD-11) criteria for the diagnosis of ASD are provided in ICD-11 for Mortality and Morbidity Statistics [31].

Assessment of severity — In conjunction with an adaptive scale (eg, Vineland Adaptive Behavior Scale, Adaptive Behavior Assessment System), we use the DSM-5-TR classification to specify the severity level of ASD, recognizing that severity may vary with context and over time [30]. Severity should be assessed separately for each domain, as indicated below. Co-occurring intellectual impairment often accounts for the differences in levels of severity.

I like you, but I suspect you are of the category I described - attention-seeking.

What doctor diagnosed you? According to what scale?

I have a medical degree and had to study psychiatric topics in depth among other things. I'm certainly not an expert but I know probably more of this topic than most people on this site.

Here is the actual DSM-5 criteria used by doctors in the U.S. to identify autism (after which, there are tests with different scales):
As I was diagnosed about ten years ago, I don't remember all the specifics, or which doctor diagnosed me, but I do know I had seen quite a few different doctors about it. I'm asked if I have it by random people and relate to the unfortunate statistics of what one has to go through. I find the list you provided quite relatable.

Last edited: