Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Experiment Ganzfeld Effect/Hallucinations

Looksmaxxcel

Looksmaxxcel

Captain
So I decided to try and see if I could get myself to hallucinate through the phenomena called the Ganzfeld Effect, which is something that occurs when the brain gets a lack of stimulus and begins to create it's own. The phenomena can also be called "prisoners cinema".

I replicated this experiment by using a pair of swim goggles and putting them on over several layers of paper towel, and shining a red lamp on my face from above. I also put in a pair of earbuds and played whitenoise through them. This created a uniform red visual field and drowned out all noise.

Whenever I stared into the uniform red field without moving my eyes, it seemed as if I went blind at first. Then, things got really weird. I saw otherworldly landscapes and buildings appearing and fading into my vision. It's indescribable and impossible to put into words what I saw, but all I can say is, it looked exactly what hell would look like if it had a city. Even more bizarre, my head was facing up, and the imagery I saw was orientated accordingly. It was as if my eyes were still open even though they were covered with a thick paper towel, and I was looking up at these tall, dark pointy gothic buildings being illuminated by a dark red sky.

Things got even weirder, my body began to feel weightless and it felt as if I was floating instead of laying on my bed. Then I saw a white tunnel of light, and the whole scenery changed. I was inside a massive cathedral that was thousands of feet tall, and saw various lights and chandeliers, which looked like they were the size of an entire house, morphing and appearing/disappearing. The entire building was actually morphing and changing constantly, the walls, arches, and ceiling changing shape. I could also see a giant entry to the building through the massive expanse, and it looked as if the entire cathedral was literally floating in space.

I cut my experiment short because my swim goggles were beginning to hurt. As soon as I pulled off the goggles, turned off the light and killed the sound, all I could hear was ringing and I saw static everywhere. It felt like I was getting knocked out or sedated, and that I was separate from the world and I was sort of observing myself in third person. This went away pretty quickly, and I was shocked to find out that at least an hour went by. It feels like I was only doing this for 30 minutes at the most, but It went on for more than an hour.

I might try this again, this time without any noise interfering with the effects of sensory deprivation. I'm also gonna ditch the goggles and just cover my face with paper as to not make my brow area sore next time.

Gonna try this sometime tbh.

I've read about similar things about people going into deep meditation.

Apparently when you go into a state of deep relaxation, the "logical" part of the mind, which keeps you in reality, shuts down. The subconscious mind then takes over and shows you thing like a sort of "inner voice" if you will.

I think the cathedral you saw could be a sort of construction your subconscious makes as a representation of your mental landscape. What I'm saying could be complete bs though I don't know. I'm curious what would happen next if you can update us later.

same tbh, it sounds like quite an interesting experience.
It was definitely more of a mindfuck than I expected it to be. Obviously it's kinda boring at first, but if you keep your eyes still and just stare into the blankness, your vision gets more staticy and eventually "blacks out".

Apparently when you go into a state of deep relaxation, the "logical" part of the mind, which keeps you in reality, shuts down. The subconscious mind then takes over and shows you thing like a sort of "inner voice" if you will.
It more felt like my consciousness was altered. I knew the whole time that I was just seeing imagery from my mind, but I wasn't thinking about that at all almost the whole time. It was easy to immerse myself into the landscapes and imagery I saw because it felt like my brain was cutting itself off from the external environment. Sort of like old fashioned VR.

I think the cathedral you saw could be a sort of construction your subconscious makes as a representation of your mental landscape. What I'm saying could be complete bs though I don't know. I'm curious what would happen next if you can update us later.
No, I think you're onto something. Whenever I vaguely thought of something, what I saw would change in a way that was kind of related to what I thought about. If I thought about it for a long time it would change to what I was thinking about eventually. I could definitely be getting a glimpse into my subconsciousness.

I will definitely update you guys if you want to hear more about it in the future.

would you recommend? the experience sounds bad also sensory deprivation is hard for me

Actually bookmarked, will try this sometime

Interesting experiment ngl, i like how detailed it was too.

would you recommend? the experience sounds bad also sensory deprivation is hard for me
If the sensory deprivation will cause you issues, probably not. It's a pretty cool experience though and it's worth trying, and you can stop it whenever you want to.

It sounds like an interesting experience, especially if you get high via weed beforehand.
Weed is known to heavily produce closed-eyed visuals and does wonders for me in that regard.

If the sensory deprivation will cause you issues, probably not. It's a pretty cool experience though and it's worth trying, and you can stop it whenever you want to.
Thanks, i'll look into it