Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

GamingDevcels and Progammercels

Billowel

Billowel

Ed junior
-
how hard is to program a game like undertale,stardew valley or papers please?These guys spend years developing these games but for how much of it is spent in programming?

I hope somebody here could make that circlejerking game @Edmund_Kemper talked about

from my understanding of it its hard. I'm not a programmer though

Creating art assets (textures, models, etc.) is very time consuming.

but that doesn't have anything to do with programming right?i am retarded so bear with me

It depends if the game is running on a premade engine already like Unreal 4 for example. If its not then its going to take a while since they are starting from scratch. Assets probably take longer to make than the actual programming for the game.

It depends if the game is running on a premade engine already like Unreal 4 for example. If its not then its going to take a while since they are starting from scratch. Assets probably take longer to make than the actual programming for the game.
are assets for 2d games like undertale still incredibly hard to make and time consuming?

but that doesn't have anything to do with programming right?i am retarded so bear with me
Yeah, but it has a fuckload to do with making videogames.

2d games are super easy to program, I have made games a lot more complex then the games on your list, 3d games get more complex if you have real complicated systems of dialogue, questing and trying to program an AI that isn't extremely stupid or extremely smart is hard

i am going to repeat the same question i asked above.
are assets for 2d games like undertale still incredibly hard to make and time consuming?

drop the bong
Blunt* and it’s already been smoked

2d games are super easy to program, I have made games a lot more complex then the games on your list, 3d games get more complex if you have real complicated systems of dialogue, questing and trying to program an AI that isn't extremely stupid or extremely smart is hard
by complicated systems of dialogue do you mean ones like the witcher games,disco elysium,planescape torment?Does that difficulty(from programming the dialogue system) translate to 2d games too?

by complicated systems of dialogue do you mean ones like the witcher games,disco elysium,planescape torment?Does that difficulty(from programming the dialogue system) translate to 2d games too?
Ya the dialogue and stuff is exactly the same for 3d and 2d, 3d stuff that is difficult is actually stuff like collisions, gravity, physics and stuff like that, I was just focusing on some troubles I have recently programming my 3d shooting game, and I am having trouble creating a fallout type dialogue system, but these problems would exist on both 2d and 3d

Ya the dialogue and stuff is exactly the same for 3d and 2d, 3d stuff that is difficult is actually stuff like collisions, gravity, physics and stuff like that, I was just focusing on some troubles I have recently programming my 3d shooting game, and I am having trouble creating a fallout type dialogue system, but these problems would exist on both 2d and 3d

are you writing everything from scratch or using some game engine like Unity?

are you writing everything from scratch or using some game engine like Unity?
Making everything from scratch is a bad idea, there are some tutorials on youtube to make your own game engine, but your game engine would never be better than the ones that have a ton of money behind them, so yes I am using Unity

Making everything from scratch is a bad idea, there are some tutorials on youtube to make your own game engine, but your game engine would never be better than the ones that have a ton of money behind them, so yes I am using Unity

Its almost impossible to code a competitive 3d game as a sole developer even with Unity - maybe you should look at developing some good 2d indie game with an original idea like Slay The Spire, for example.

Its almost impossible to code a competitive 3d game as a sole developer even with Unity - maybe you should look at developing some good 2d indie game with an original idea like Slay The Spire, for example.
That is a defeatist mindset that I don't like, I have coded multiple 3d games so far without any problems

2D games are easy. I learnt an entire new game's language syntax (basically a resin of Java) in a week.

Look OP at the end of the day, coding remains relatively the same.
Some languages work/execute slightly different but a loop in Java is very similar to a loop in Python.

A 2D game is quite easy because typically you make the base functions of the game then things like guns, vehicles etc just use classes (Think of it as a template) with modified parameters(So you'd fill out the template for the gun making Gun "A" do this. Fill another template for Gun "B" and so on).

No clue on 3D games but learn C

That is a defeatist mindset that I don't like, I have coded multiple 3d games so far without any problems

Yeah, I'am defeatist. :feelscry: But you should sell at least some copies of your games to make the effort worthwhile. Coding 3d game with Unity is not that hard but coming with the orig idea is.

Yeah, I'am defeatist. :feelscry: But you should sell at least some copies of your games to make the effort worthwhile. Coding 3d game with Unity is not that hard but coming with the orig idea is.
Honestly when I started I thought making money would be possible, but drumming up interest in your product is very difficult without some advertising, so now I just code games as a hobby

for those types of games the vast majority of the effort is put in to graphics, sound design, writing, concepts, etc. and even the time coding is usually mostly spent reading over it like "is that the most effective way of doing it?" "is that a logical sequence of events?" "would this work out the way I want it to?" "am I overlooking something that could break the game?" etc. the portion of time spent actually writing usable code is very small

speaking from experience

It's mostly annoying and repetitive stuff, catching bugs 24/7, changing code structure, creating new entities and programming their behavior. It's moderately difficult and also don't believe anyone who says it's way easier and less stuff to do in 2d. It's not that simple, you will get your ass ripped several times. Coding and art usually are about the same amount of work on an indie 2d game, if you do it alone. If you don't want it to be too simple you'll have to spend hour and hours as a programmer.

Last edited:
what circlejerk game?
Didn't u mention in a thread that you'd like to see a Smash Bros lookalike game of irl people like ER snd Stalin, for instance?

Not at all shit like Undertale was made in gamemaker lol.