Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

LifeFuel Feminists destroyed: U.S. Supreme Court blocks emotional distress torts from federal anti-discrimination laws

PPEcel

PPEcel

cope and seethe
-
On Thursday, April 28th, 2022, the U.S. Supreme Court decided Cummings v. Premier Rehab Keller along ideological lines. Chief Justice Roberts, joined by his fellow conservatives—Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Barrett—held that violations of anti-discrimination statutes do not permit emotional distress torts.

Breyer, joined by Justices Sotomayor and Kagan, dissented. You can read the full ruling here:

B30a318e cd83 44bf 95fc b8efa5425cbc

Background
Jane Cummings is a deaf-blind femoid who sued her physical therapy provider for intentional infliction of emotional distress for failing to provide an American Sign Language interpreter during her sessions. Cummings' attorney argued that Premier Rehab Keller discriminated against her on the basis of her disability, in violation of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Affordable Care Act.

The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas dismissed her complaint, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit upheld the dismissal.

Legal Discussion

Article I, Section 8, Clause 1 of the United States Constitution grants Congress the power to "provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States" (Spending Clause). This means Congress has the power to set conditions on the disbursement of federal funds. Examples of such "Spending Clause legislation" include Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which forbids racial discrimination in federally funded programs. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 forbids sex-based discrimination in federally funded educational programs. Similarly, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Affordable Care Act forbids discrimination based on certain protected characteristics in federally funded healthcare programs.

These laws establish a contractual obligation between the recipient of federal fundsschools and universities, contractors, healthcare providers, etc.and the United States government. To receive government money, the recipient incurs an obligation to not engage in discrimination. However, none of these statutes explicitly granted victims of discrimination a private right of actionthat is, the right to enforce these laws by suing recipients of federal funds in civil court.

In Cannon v. University of Chicago, 411 U.S. 677 (1979), the Supreme Court held that even though Spending Clause legislation represented a contract between the recipient and the government (not the victim), the statutes could be interpreted as to grant the victims of discrimination an implied private right of action. Cannon was a massive victory for feminists and their lawyers. Coupled with Title IX, femoids who claimed they were sexually assaulted in schools, colleges, or universities could file lawsuits seeking compensation for so-called "discrimination".

This week, the U.S. Supreme Court affirmed the lower courts and ruled against Cummings, the blind-deaf femoid. While they did not overrule Cannon outright, they narrowed it, ruling that any private right of action implied within Spending Clause legislation (including Title IX) did NOT give victims of discrimination a right to seek compensation for emotional distress.

Guess who's upset? That's right, feminist and SJW lawyers who make a business out of suing educational institutions and corporations on behalf of femoids for "muh discrimination". :feelskek:

View: https://twitter.com/cagoldberglaw/status/1520105131655806978

View: https://twitter.com/ElieNYC/status/1519681630457188353

Amazingly based Supreme Court. :feelsautistic:

Last edited:
So roasties fought that they should be entitled for monetary compensation if they ever felt discriminated because of hecking "emotional distress"(SFL that sounds pure fucking soy:soy:), am I correct? And SC told them to fuck off.
Based honestly. But SC also passes cucked crap every now and then so can't expect them to keep that indefinitely.

So roasties fought that they should be entitled for monetary compensation if they ever felt discriminated because of hecking "emotional distress"(SFL that sounds pure fucking soy:soy:), am I correct? And SC told them to fuck off.
Based honestly. But SC also passes cucked crap every now and then so can't expect them to keep that indefinitely.
Basically. The single best perk of being a federal judge is that you serve for life, so you can piss off SJWs and they can't do anything about it. So John Roberts can tfu on roasties, so to speak.

Life tenure for federal judges is what maintains some degree of judicial independence, securing the rule of law from temperamental populism.

As Alexander Hamilton wrote in Federalist No. 78:
If, then, the courts of justice are to be considered as the bulwarks of a limited Constitution against legislative encroachments, this consideration will afford a strong argument for the permanent tenure of judicial offices, since nothing will contribute so much as this to that independent spirit in the judges which must be essential to the faithful performance of so arduous a duty.

Common law systems (British, American, Canadian, Australia, etc.) have always been cynical towards "emotional distress".

Great move from the Supreme Court. Laws and their interpretation should be based on objective facts and not feelings. Female emotions have no place in the judicial system.

Good start, now they should re-appeal the 19th amendment :society:

The fact that 3 judges sided with this retarded foid shows how fucked this country is. I'll give it a decade until the supreme court completely gets rid of free speech and gun rights

God i cannot wait until the day that the supreme court overturns Roe v. Wade, the femoid meltdown would be insane. Also the SC is pretty based
It's going to be either this month or the next, a decision is awaited in Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization.

Common law systems (British, American, Canadian, Australia, etc.) have always been cynical towards "emotional distress".
At least in the States, recovery for emotional distress has been expanded in the last one hundred years. I think a lot of it was led by the CA Supreme Court.

This week, the U.S. Supreme Court affirmed the lower courts and ruled against Cummings, the blind-deaf femoid. While they did not overrule Cannon outright, they narrowed it, ruling that any private right of action implied within Spending Clause legislation (including Title IX) did NOT give victims of discrimination a right to seek compensation for emotional distress.
I'm unsurprised the Court did this, given Robert's opinion in NFIB v. Sebelius.

At least in the States, recovery for emotional distress has been expanded in the last one hundred years. I think a lot of it was led by the CA Supreme Court.

I'm unsurprised the Court did this, given Robert's opinion in NFIB v. Sebelius.

re: emotional distress I might write a thread about the Gabby Petito case in the coming days, thoughts?

re: emotional distress I might write a thread about the Gabby Petito case in the coming days, thoughts?
You should probably get to writing about Alito's draft opinion first.

I for one am very interested in what you have to say about ol potato tits. :feelsthink:

Odd case that. :feelsclown: