Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Serious English should get a word for "saudade" and "saudoso" from Portuguese

Mainländer

Mainländer

Songwritercel
★★★★★
It's bizarre that a language as widespread and huge as English doesn't have those simple concepts.

Examples:

"Blackpill 101, saudades eternas"

"Blackpill 101, he will forever be missed" (this is an adaptation, it doesn't correspond 100% to what was said).

"Eu já estava aqui no fórum nos tempos do saudoso Fontaine"

"I was already here on the forum In the times of the (something that stirs the feeling of being missed) Fontaine"

I know English has the concept of "missing" and the world "nostalgia", but neither is the same. We also have "sentir falta" (miss) and "nostalgia" in Portuguese.

English is shit, what do you expect?

it's really strange since all they need to do is add a word to their vocabulary, it doesn't need to change the grammar, just use new words, but english country's are not welcome for new things

tfw you only speak english
I know English has the concept of "missing" and the world "nostalgia", but neither is the same.
It sounds like saudade is related to how we have a deep sense of longing for both the memory of some past state of existence, and for our anticipation for an idealized future. We incorrectly remember the former and fruitlessly strive towards the latter, but we'll never entirely find what it is that we feel to be absent. The notion that happiness or pleasure doesn't feel as go as it should feel, as good as we somehow expect it to feel, you're correct in suggesting that similar concepts can be difficult to describe in English.

The anticipation of a reward promises more than what we receive upon acquiring whatever it was that we thought we wanted, and our memory of that triumph often seems better in retrospect than our experience of the same thing within the context of the present moment. Tell me if I'm describing something else, but what I'm getting at is the combined feelings of longing, emptiness, and an ambivalent sort nostalgia. Ambivalent in the sense that you remember(or at least can conceptualize) an absent positive feeling, but you also know that you'll never have it again(or have it at all), and ruminating over can it induce something similar to a cathartic release.

Last edited:
tfw you only speak english

It sounds like saudade is related to how we have a deep sense of longing for both the memory of some past state of existence, and for our anticipation for an idealized future. We incorrectly remember the former and fruitlessly strive towards the latter, but we'll never entirely find what it is that we feel to be absent. The notion that happiness or pleasure doesn't feel as go as it should feel, as good as we somehow expect it to feel, you're correct in suggesting that similar concepts can be difficult to describe in English.

The anticipation of a reward promises more than what we receive upon acquiring whatever it was that we thought we wanted, and our memory of that triumph often seems better in retrospect than our experience of the same thing within the context of the present moment. Tell me if I'm describing something else, but what I'm getting at is the combined feelings of longing, emptiness, and an ambivalent sort nostalgia. Ambivalent in the sense that you remember(or at least can conceptualize) an absent positive feeling, but you also know that you'll never have it again(or have it at all), and ruminating over can it induce something similar to a cathartic release.
No, it isn't about the future. Where did you get that definition?

Saudade is kinda like "missing something" but there isn't a substantive for that in English. Let alone for the adjective "saudoso". "Nostalgia" and "nostalgic" aren't exactly the same.

If I say "the nostalgic times of Fontaine", it sounds like we were feeling nostalgic back then, and not missing it now.

I think just "to miss someone" is a good enough replacement for "saudade" tbh
But yeah, english is a less complex language, which is one of the reasons why it's so widespread (the other being the domination over all other countries, territorially by the British Empire, and culturally by the Jewnited States of America).
I remember him. Giga-IQ dude. Resurrection when?

I'm sure you can get something out of words like tragic or wistful, they are stronger than nostalgia.
But trying to translate whole phrases and feelings into another language rarely works.

I dunno but most native english speakers don't learn new languages, might be the reason.

It's bizarre that a language as widespread and huge as English doesn't have those simple concepts.

Examples:

"Blackpill 101, saudades eternas"

"Blackpill 101, he will forever be missed" (this is an adaptation, it doesn't correspond 100% to what was said).

"Eu já estava aqui no fórum nos tempos do saudoso Fontaine"

"I was already here on the forum In the times of the (something that stirs the feeling of being missed) Fontaine"

I know English has the concept of "missing" and the world "nostalgia", but neither is the same. We also have "sentir falta" (miss) and "nostalgia" in Portuguese.

Honestly I don't understand what are you saying and I understand 75% of the portuguese language.

Are you looking for "remembered" as he will be always missed and remembered? "Blackpill 101, he will be always missed and remembered"?

Last edited:
I think just "to miss someone" is a good enough replacement for "saudade" tbh
But yeah, english is a less complex language, which is one of the reasons why it's so widespread (the other being the domination over all other countries, territorially by the British Empire, and culturally by the Jewnited States of America).

I remember him. Giga-IQ dude. Resurrection when?
But it would be cool to get a noun and an adjective as well. Not only a verb.

It's kind like German's "Spaß machen", ok, it works, but you could have something simpler and in other formats to fit better on different structures.

Honestly I don't understand what are you saying and I understand 75% of the portuguese language
I don't speak Spanish, I'm not sure tbh.
Honestly I don't understand what are you saying and I understand 75% of the portuguese language.

Are you looking for "remembered" as he will be always missed and remembered?
Let me do a more understandable translation through making a an adjective out of the concept of "missing someone":

Os tempos do saudoso Fontaine

The times of the missful Fontaine.

It's kind like German's "Spaß machen", ok, it works, but you could have something simpler and in other formats to fit better on different structures.

refresh the website and read again my comment

Let me do a more understandable translation through making a an adjective out of the concept of "missing someone":

tbh is missed, missed=missful:

notice the loss or absence of.
"he's rich—he won't miss the money"
sinónimos:notice the absence of, find missing
"we did not miss the children until darkness fell"
  • feel regret or sadness at no longer being able to enjoy the presence of.
    "she misses all her old friends"
    sinónimos:pine for, yearn for, ache for, long for, long to see, regret the absence/loss of, feel the loss of, feel nostalgic for, need
    "she loved her father and missed him when he was away"
  • feel regret or sadness at no longer being able to go to, do, or have.
    "I still miss France and I wish I could go back"

Last edited:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/erstwhile

Most western languages are not that good tbh.

Not the same, but cool word tbh. Is it lawspeak?
nope, I usually saw it in essays or books.
the raw definition of the word might not cover the feeling, but the actual use of it is imo almost exactly like 'missful', you usually only say "the erstwhile" about someone you care about

Most western languages are not that good tbh.
Do you think the eastern ones are better? Japanese sure isn't with that extremely complicated writing system and tons of homonyms.

Do you think the eastern ones are better? Japanese sure isn't with that extremely complicated writing system and tons of homonyms.
I mean, they usually have more selections to choose. when you need to tell something im different ways.
Im not sure though. My mother tongue is an eastern lang.

The times of the much missed Fontaine.

I mean, they usually have more selections to choose. when you need to tell something im different ways.
Im not sure though. My mother tongue is an eastern lang.
Which one?

The times of the much missed Fontaine.
Good job tbh. I hadn't thought of that structure and it's actually very close.

When I think of Turks, I think of extremely hairy manly men. But you're into femdom and knajjd is a turbomanlet feminine pretty boy? What happened?

Good job tbh. I hadn't thought of that structure and it's actually very close.
I wonder if the word missout or something like that exists for saudad, surely native speakers know better.
I always thought of English as a very elastic language tbh.

English is like making noises with a soar tongue

When I think of Turks, I think of extremely hairy manly men. But you're into femdom and knajjd is a turbomanlet feminine pretty boy? What happened?
And @Cuyen looks like a mulatto jfl

Tbh it just sounds like the word for nostalgia
It's not exactly the same. "Nostalgia" is about feeling enamored with a period of your past. "Saudade" is about something specific, not a general feeling about the past or a period of your past as a whole.

Okay, but I'm just saying in my home country (English speaking) you'd use nostalgia for that. I.e. "Hot wheels make me so nostalgic" or "the lion king fills me with nostalgia". The word's used for both, there's no distinction
You also use nostalgia exactly like that in Portuguese.

tfw english is your native language and you barely understand it

So... My original point stands then
But it's a different meaning than "saudade" still.

The "missing something" concept fits "saudade" better. It's just that in English you can only use it as a verb while in Portuguese there are the verb, the noun and the adjective.

I gotta say it still sounds like a distinction without a difference. Coming from a bilingual home I'm no stranger to the concept of words that don't translate, but this just doesn't sound like one of those times
In the end I agree if you're talking about "missing something" x "saudade". But nostalgia is different in both languages.

Listen to the beautiful language of my country. (The translations are not 100% accurate)

Listen to the beautiful language of my country. (The translations are not 100% accurate)

Did someone say Allah? Allahu Akbar my brother.

It's cool but I prefer this one:

Users who are viewing this thread

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6
Back