Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

TeeHee Does Hollywood NOT see the irony in its depiction of relationships?

NearlyOver

NearlyOver

Officer
★★★★★
Anyone watch the movie Blindness (2018)? I watched it last night. There's this scene in which a husband tells his wife he's gone completely blind. She asks him if he can see anything. He tells her he can't. Her response to him? "Try harder." Kid you not. Bluepills are at the very foundation of our culture.

Screen Shot 2020 01 12 at 001243

Screen Shot 2020 01 12 at 001252

Screen Shot 2020 01 12 at 001316

JFL what kind of stupidity is this

It’s just a joke but ngl I see the irony

It's a joke. The movie doesn't consider that a serious solution.

It's a joke. The movie doesn't consider that a serious solution.

There is no "joke." In the movie, the wife is clearly and sincerely distressed that her husband has lost his eyesight. She's frantically searching for the number for an eye doctor and is asking her husband for help. He can't see but she WANTS him to be able to see to help her. She's visibly and obviously annoyed and means "TRY HARDER" to see. It's a terrific but unintentional exhibition of blue-pilling in society--the belief that no matter how significant and objective your problem, there's a solution if you "try harder."

There is no "joke." In the movie, the wife is clearly and sincerely distressed that her husband has lost his eyesight. She's frantically searching for the number for an eye doctor and is asking her husband for help. He can't see but she WANTS him to be able to see to help her. She's visibly and obviously annoyed and means "TRY HARDER" to see. It's a terrific but unintentional exhibition of blue-pilling in society--the belief that no matter how significant and objective your problem, there's a solution if you "try harder."

But is this a representation of Hollywood's depiction of relationships?

Just try harder bro!

But is this a representation of Hollywood's depiction of relationships?

I'm not sure if this is a serious conversation or we're just joshin' here. Yes, I think it is. I think it's a nearly universal Western concept of relationship dynamics largely responsible for much of society's hatred of incels. The belief is that if you're having difficulty getting a relationship or you have one but have some significant problem in it, there's almost always a solution if you try hard enough. Research in social psychology shows the same thing--that people tend to believe in solutions even when the objective data shows there isn't one or one is very unlikely. Bluepillism doesn't exist because people are trying to be dicks, but because the belief-bias itself is prevalent.
Just try harder bro!

I'm not sure if this is a serious conversation or we're just joshin' here. Yes, I think it is. I think it's a nearly universal Western concept of relationship dynamics largely responsible for much of society's hatred of incels. The belief is that if you're having difficulty getting a relationship or you have one but have some significant problem in it, there's almost always a solution if you try hard enough. Research in social psychology shows the same thing--that people tend to believe in solutions even when the objective data shows there isn't one or one is very unlikely. Bluepillism doesn't exist because people are trying to be dicks, but because the belief-bias itself is prevalent.

I'm not joshin'. I don't think this scene is representative of how relationships in movies as a whole are.

I'm not joshin'. I don't think this scene is representative of how relationships in movies as a whole are.

I respect your right to your opinion but think there's a lot more evidence in support of the counterclaim--from the anecdotal (including here among incels reporting on Bluepillism) to publications in social psychology. Peace man.

I don't watch any movies, but I know they all have bad messages.