Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Do video game updates often take too long these days?

Do video game updates often take too long these days?

• Total voters
Hoppipolla

Hoppipolla

hop on jj2
★★★★★
Because... they seem to.

I'm mostly referring to games consoles but it can apply to PC too.

I mean, last generation you had the Wii which had hardly any updates anyway, the 360 which had very fast ones and the PS3 which took ages which is why I chose a 360! The Wii U seems quite fast too in this respect.

But this generation am I right in saying that all three of the major consoles require quite lengthy updates both for the games and the system software, most of the time?

I mean I have an old 360 in my room and most updates are like 5-10mb, and then my housemate has a PS4 and he's waiting ages for a 5gb Fortnite update to download fairly frequently!

This is why I stopped playing MMORPGs as well.

I kind of hope I'm wrong but I thought I'd post this here to get opinions, and on some gaming groups. I mostly game on PC and stick to low spec or indie games, so this update thing barely affects me.

Oh, I'll make a poll too because why not! :)

Yes, that's why when I downloaded GTA and RDR2 I removed everything else.

Maybe it's this obsession with graphics that most people have, which results in insanely detailed textures that then require these huge downloads. If they'd just make separate HD texture packs then this problem could be mostly avoided.

I think the bigger issue is that devs rely too much on updates now.

Just play old games.

I don't own new consoles and don't play games on PC, but a friend of mine has a PS4 and is ridiculous how big some of these games are.
RDR2 takes up like 90gb

I don't own new consoles and don't play games on PC, but a friend of mine has a PS4 and is ridiculous how big some of these games are.
RDR2 takes up like 90gb

I also really miss when console games didn't need to be installed! Don't you? It was great! You'd just buy a game, put the disc in... and that was it! It was awesome!

I wonder what the Nintendo Switch is like in this regard.
Just play old games.

Yeah, or small/simple/indie games. These options are my usual solutions, but it's just a bit of a shame that gaming has gone in this direction!

I also really miss when console games didn't need to be installed! Don't you? It was great! You'd just buy a game, put the disc in... and that was it! It was awesome!/QUOTE]
Completly agree, buying a new game, just poping up on the console and playing it was the best. New consoles kill the magic by having to wait for the game to install until you can play it.
I also really miss when console games didn't need to be installed! Don't you? It was great! You'd just buy a game, put the disc in... and that was it! It was awesome!
Completly agree, buying a new game, just poping up on the console and playing it was the best. New consoles kill the magic by having to wait for the game to install until you can play it.
wew I fucked up the reply hard

What games are u refering to? Many games release unfinished, needing lots of updates.
Or do u mean that games are getting too big size wise? In that case, u should try getting faster internet

I don't play that many games nowadays and if i do play it's usually nintendo games tbh so I wouldn't know

Soy face is inevitable

I don't play that many games nowadays and if i do play it's usually nintendo games tbh so I wouldn't know

Soy face is inevitable

Is the Switch better when it comes to this stuff? Do games still install?
wew I fucked up the reply hard

lol yeah that reply did end up looking a bit odd! But yeah the speed and simplicity were two of the main reasons why I wanted to buy a console as well as a PC. Also their small size and good local multiplayer.

Is the Switch better when it comes to this stuff? Do games still install?
I think you can just out the cartridge in and play without install. Like the good old days.

What games are u refering to? Many games release unfinished, needing lots of updates.
Or do u mean that games are getting too big size wise? In that case, u should try getting faster internet

Both really. And most places I live I have no control over the net speed. It's a houseshare with normal broadband.

I don't think the majority of households have fibre-optic, do they?
I think you can just out the cartridge in and play without install. Like the good old days.

That sounds awesome :)

Maybe I should get a Switch sometime then, to accompany my PC!

I don't care because I have a 500mbps connection.