Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Did you grow up in a "hood" or in a "neighborhood"

Did you grew up in a "hood" or in a "neighborhood"

• Total voters
Red Shambhala

Red Shambhala

Death to America
★★
So I was listening to this interview with Cornel West and he says that despite poverty and everything, there is still a difference between the "neighborhood" he grew up in, and the "hoods" young people these days grow up in:

35:20

"I grew up in a neighborhood, the younger brothers and sisters say they grow up in a "hood", and that's a big difference. Because a hood is a social Darwinian space, it's Hobbes, all against all, backstabbing, hard to form bonds of trust and ties of sympathy. Neighborhood, where I grew up, tremendous care and love and nurture overflowing, everybody keeping track of me. Mrs. so and so, and Mrs. so and so, and my mother and Reverend so-and-so, and all these folk keeping track of me. In the hood, young folk out there rootless, dangling, drifting." 

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFcKjok4ZZ4[/video]

The same explanation from another interview:

"We had such deep ties of sympathy and bonds of empathy, taking care of each other. Mom ran out of sugar, I’d go to Ms. Durham and Ms. Reed or Ms. Stuckey’s house, get the sugar; same would be true if they ran out. When Mom and Dad were working, we were babysat by the whole block, you know. So we had almost kind of a web and a womb of support, whereas a hood now is just survival of the slickest, a social Darwinian preoccupation of just getting over by any means or preoccupation with the Eleventh Commandment: Thou shall not get caught. And it’s treacherous. That’s why I salute a lot of the young folk who make it out of a hood, because out there out of a neighborhood, that was easy because the love was there."

I wouldn't say its as the worse as the ones in America, or in a third world country, I actually have it better than them. I live in a place where there's a lot of low income earners here. Some are even struggling to look for a job...

There's some abandoned houses and a lot of drug-dealing, where I live though...

What about yourself?

Rather neighborhood. Only "rather" because this "womb of support" where everyone knows everyone with old people and pastors etc. and everyone taking care off each other didn't really exist to such a degree. Mostly just because my parents are immigrants, so they obviously can't know all the old people (and no Christian clergyman anyway). It's still an interersting observation from Cornel West imho. About how he might have been poor in the past but still had this support with people taking care off each other and now it's getting worse for so many people and they grow up in this "social darwinian" setting etc.

My whole country is a hood.

Users who are viewing this thread

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6
Back