Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Experiment Did you fall for the anti drug propaganda in school

Ellsworth

Ellsworth

Chad but they let me post here anyway
★★★★★
I did. Never did any drug and didn’t drink alcohol till I was 21. Mid 30s now and never smoked a cigarette or weed or done any illegal drugs. I even graduated from DARE. I bought everything book line and sinker.

Drug education is fine but I don’t like how they lie to you. Addiction is bad of course but hey should teach about drugs and how occasional recreational can be safe and fun.

Personally I don’t regret not doing drugs other than ecstasy. I might use that one day and steroids too, but hopefully the steroids I get from a doctor. I drink occasionally but nowhere near an alcoholic. Also smoked a few cigars but you don’t even inhale tbh and I didn’t care for them really.

I wouldn't necessarily say I did but I never had the chance to use drugs of any kind until I went to a house party in uni during my attempt to become a normalfag, and even then I declined, just wouldn't be my thing

I never had an interest in drugs and doubt ever will maybe how my parents raised me

Drugs are bad!
Stop the prescriptions!

I don't remember believing it or not, my dad smoked weed occasionally but openly and eventually I figured out what that skunky smelling stuff was. Probably sorta hotboxed, I'd be in the same room and for a kid that might be enough. Tried smoking with neighborhood kids at 12. The world didn't end from either of these things, so like most kids DARE was just a thing they made you go through.

The modern culture of weed is too much, though, part of the general self-sedating culture along with pain pills, anti-depressants, benzos, etc. DARE's problem was exaggerating the awfulness and safety risk of drugs, and when people discover that's a lie, they banalize the (chronic, compulsive) use of it in return, and people shouldn't "turn off" that frequently or casually. It's how normies cope and avoid the blackpill. The state becoming a dealer of weed will help people continue in their path of drugging themselves more and more. Weed is a cultural gateway drug.

Yes. Started watching this storytime channel in hs that involved weed a lot so I got curious about it and researched it

When I was very little I believed in the Drug War because of not knowing better. When my parents had a fight when I was like 11, my mother "got one" against my father by informing me that he smoked marijuana, to which I burst into tears and was deeply upset, for I believed that drug use was bad, for how was I to know any better? Upon seeing what she had done, mother immediately backtracked and explained to me that virtually everyone in my family used drugs to one extent or another, at one time or another. My sister and her at the time husband shortly thereafter informed me that they regularly smoked marijuana as well, and that it wasn't anything to be concerned regarding. I went on a camping trip with them once where they smoked weed heavily as well, but they wouldn't let me of course as I was like 12 or so at the time.

When I was 14 I was introduced to drugs by people from high school who knew me from middle school. Actually, it may have been in the summer after 8th grade. I think I was 14, but I may have actually been 13 and almost 14. In any case, they just gave me a little one hitter metal pipe, or more so they called me and told me where they had hidden it in some bushes near my house, and asked me to go fetch it for them, which I did. The first time I actually smoked marijuana was when I hit the resin from that little pipe; however, father actually used to grow marijuana and I did eat a leaf of his marijuana plant. Indeed, that was before mother even told me that father smoked marijuana. Ironically, I actually knew father smoked and grew marijuana prior to mother telling me, and wasn't even upset by it, for my family told me that it was simply tomato plants, even though I knew better. I don't know why I didn't have a strong emotional reaction to the matter until mother explicitly stated that father smoked marijuana, for I actually had awareness that they were not growing tomato plants and knew that we had marijuana growing in our home, but until someone explicitly stated as much I was entirely neutral to the matter, despite the labeling of it triggering a sort of emotional breakdown in me.

In any case, I subsequently came to use a huge variety of drugs, and for drugs to become quite a staple of my life. They still are, but to a much more moderate extent. With the substantial first hand experience I've subsequently had of a plethora of drugs, as well as my substantial research into the matter (I mean, I read about everything that interests me, and drugs were my primary interest for about a decade from 14 to 24, so I spent about a decade reading up regarding drugs and so on, from a host of sources, from erowid.org, to academic literature, to anecdotal trip reports on drugs forums, and so on).

Today I can unambiguously state that I know that the United States Drug War is most properly classified as an establishment of religion and social mania.

“If we’re lucky, our grandchildren will recall the global war on drugs of the late 20th and early 21st centuries as some bizarre mania,” says Nadelmann.

Social manias are mass movements which periodically sweep through societies. They are characterized by an outpouring of enthusiasm, mass involvement and millenarian goals. Social manias are contagious social epidemics, and as such they should be differentiated from mania in individuals.

Social manias come in different sizes and strengths. Some social manias fail to 'catch fire', while others persist for hundreds of years (although sometimes in severely attenuated form). Common to all is a vision of salvation, a new way of life, which if realized would radically change everyday life, ushering in a new world of freedom and justice.

The Taiping Rebellion is an excellent illustration, as it was both widespread and destructive and has no modern adherents to whom its use as an example would be a distraction. The Ghost dance which was briefly embraced by Native Americans of the Great Plains in 1890 is another excellent example which may be viewed in some historical perspective, as may The Crusades. Almost any form of religion could be argued to be a long-standing social mania, many of which have persisted through thousands of years.

The entire thing is honestly just an enormous fantasy world encoded in a genre of fiction materials. It's reminiscent of something like homeopathy

Homeopathy or homœopathy is a system of alternative medicine created in 1796 by Samuel Hahnemann, based on his doctrine of like cures like (similia similibus curentur), a claim that a substance that causes the symptoms of a disease in healthy people would cure similar symptoms in sick people.[1] Homeopathy is a pseudoscience – a belief that is incorrectly presented as scientific.[2][3][4][5] Homeopathic preparations are not effective for treating any condition; large-scale studies have found homeopathy to be no more effective than a placebo, indicating that any positive effects that follow treatment are not due to the treatment itself but instead to factors such as normal recovery from illness, or regression toward the mean.[6][7][8]

or the anti-vaccination movement.

The last dozen years have seen a massive transnational mobilization of the legal, political, and research communities in response to the worrisome hypothesis that vaccines could have a link to childhood autism and other developmental conditions. Vaccine critics, some already organized and some composed of newly galvanized parents, developed an alternate world of internally legitimating studies, blogs, conferences, publications, and spokespeople to affirm a connection.

As I have noted above, there is indeed a complex community of researchers, journals, and articles to point to, facts to recite, conferences to attend, and professional groups to connect with that supply a great deal of internal legitimacy

Screen-Shot-2014-12-15-at-4.41.07-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2014-12-15-at-4.44.19-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2014-12-15-at-4.47.23-PM.png

Like Steve Novella, I have no doubt that Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carrey mean well, but I agree that it’s not enough to mean well. There’s a famous saying that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. My usually corollary to this saying is that good intentions coupled with misinformation and self-righteousness are the straightest and surest route to hell that I can think of, and among the best examples of this corollary are parents who have been misled by the pseudoscience of the cottage industry of autism quackery that depends on the belief that vaccines cause autism for its profitability.

Are anti-vaccine parents in the grip of mass hysteria?

Welcome to Salem road sign illustration, with distressed foreboding background

Vaccination is one the greatest public health advances of all time.

It has saved, and continues to save, literally millions of lives each year, yet many well meaning parents have become convinced that vaccines are harmful and there is no amount of scientific evidence that can convince them otherwise.

It is a disgusting, disgraceful, and shameful abomination, as well as an illegal and unconsitutional tragedy of justice that people have had their lives ruined by the psychotic belief of the manic terrorists who cannot distinguish the themed fiction materials of this 20th century establishment of religion from actual reality.

And that is what the Drug War is. It's a 20th century New Religious Movement based on the psychotic belief of manically psychotic neurotypicals in a stereotyped genre of fiction materials that purport to be descriptive of actual reality despite being just intension sans extension.

1. What is this about?

If you are not skilled in colloquial astronomy, and I tell you that the morning star is the evening star, I have given you information—your knowledge has changed. If I tell you the morning star is the morning star, you might feel I was wasting your time. Yet in both cases I have told you the planet Venus was self-identical. There must be more to it than this. Naively, we might say the morning star and the evening star are the same in one way, and not the same in another. The two phrases, “morning star” and “evening star” may designate the same object, but they do not have the same meaning. Meanings, in this sense, are often called intensions, and things designated, extensions. Contexts in which extension is all that matters are, naturally, called extensional, while contexts in which extension is not enough are intensional. Mathematics is typically extensional throughout—we happily write “\(1+4=2+3\)” even though the two terms involved may differ in meaning (more about this later). “It is known that…” is a typical intensional context—“it is known that \(1+4 = 2 + 3\)” may not be correct when the knowledge of small children is involved. Thus mathematical pedagogy differs from mathematics proper. Other examples of intensional contexts are “it is believed that…”, “it is necessary that…”, “it is informative that…”, “it is said that…”, “it is astonishing that…”, and so on. Typically a context that is intensional can be recognized by a failure of the substitutivity of equality when naively applied. Thus, the morning star equals the evening star; you know the morning star equals the morning star; then on substituting equals for equals, you know the morning star equals the evening star. Note that this knowledge arises from purely logical reasoning, and does not involve any investigation of the sky, which should arouse some suspicion. Substitution of co-referring terms in a knowledge context is the problematic move—such a context is intensional, after all. Admittedly this is somewhat circular. We should not make use of equality of extensions in an intensional context, and an intensional context is one in which such substitutivity does not work.

One way to define the meaning of a word is to point to examples in the world of things the word refers to; these examples are the word’s denotation, or extension. Another component of a word’s meaning is the list of attributes in our mind that describe the things the word can refer to; this list is the intension of a word.

In logic and mathematics, an intensional definition gives the meaning of a term by specifying necessary and sufficient conditions for when the term should be used. In the case of nouns, this is equivalent to specifying the properties that an object needs to have in order to be counted as a referent of the term.

For example, an intensional definition of the word "bachelor" is "unmarried man". This definition is valid because being an unmarried man is both a necessary condition and a sufficient condition for being a bachelor: it is necessary because one cannot be a bachelor without being an unmarried man, and it is sufficient because any unmarried man is a bachelor.[1]

This is the opposite approach to the extensional definition, which defines by listing everything that falls under that definition – an extensional definition of bachelor would be a listing of all the unmarried men in the world.[1]

The Drug War is a somewhat consistent system of intension, which means essentially words or other things that denote other things, yet without any actual extension to actual existence. It's a genre of somewhat self consistent themed materials that together form a system that can be thought in, but that doesn't actually extend to anything in existence.

Claim: Excessive LSD use left a young man in a psychiatric hospital, believing himself to be a glass of orange juice.

LEGEND

Origins: The “orange juice man” was one of the 1960s’ most ubiquitous pieces of LSD scarelore. As improbable and wacky as it may seem today, this tale was taken quite seriously by the anti-drug forces in the mid-1960s, when the long-term effects of LSD use were unknown. As Jay Stevens wrote a couple of decades later:

Halting the spread of LSD had become part of the national agenda; thus it was necessary for the press to sensationalize the subject … the LSD psychotic … seized the public imagination and didn’t let go for the rest of the decade. Scarcely a week went by that this curious creature wasn’t in the news columns, either raping or murdering or committing suicide in stories that were usually anonymous, uncheckable, and bizarre.

Claim: Several students tripping on LSD stared at the sun until blinded.

Origins: This Sun legend, one the 1960s' most ubiquitous pieces of drug scarelore
(along with "teenager on acid trip thinks he can fly and jumps out window") was
nothing but pure hoax. Nonetheless, the national print media fell for it twice.

This twisted tale was born on Thursday, 18 May 1967, when California newspapers
began reporting a horrific tale concerning some Santa Barbara college students
who damaged their eyes by staring at the sun while they were under the influence
of LSD. Here's how the story was written up by the Los Angeles Times

Just two of the endless examples. Nearly the entirety of the Drug War is based on a collection of recitations quite similar to this, that are stories, or descriptors of substances,

The Albert Hofmann collection contains nearly seventy articles on the topic of whether or not LSD-25 causes "chromosome damage". These articles are a good example of the scientific and cultural moral panic that took place in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

In 1967, Science published an article, based on the examination of a single patient, which proposed that LSD caused chromosome breakage.1 As Peter Stafford notes in Psychedelics Encyclopedia, "By evening, the charge that LSD could break chromosomes was in all the nation's media."

Between 1967 and 1972, article after article was published, in respected peer-reviewed journals, describing the link between LSD and chromosomal damage, both in vitro and in users and their offspring. As these reports accumulated, popular media amplified the scare, leading to sensational articles decrying the mutations that would be unleashed on future generations.

"New research finds [LSD] is causing genetic damage that poses a threat of havoc now and appalling abnormalities for generations yet unborn."2

Yet, by the mid-1970s, the tide had turned and the scientific literature generally supported the revised opinion that LSD does not cause chromosomal breakage or birth defects.

How was it possible for this issue to progress as far as it did? In an atmosphere friendly to reports of negative consequences of LSD use, a litany of elementary scientific and research errors were ignored by the journals that published the findings. It wasn't until enough research could be conducted to counteract the initial momentum that saner opinions, and better science, prevailed.

In the collection is a copy of one of the key articles that helped end the hysteria that was taking place in peer reviewed journals and the media. The authors conclude that:

"From our own work and from a review of the literature, we believe that pure LSD ingested in moderate doses does not damage chromosomes in vivo, does not cause detectable genetic damage, and is not a teratogen or a carcinogen in man. Within these bounds, therefore, we suggest that, other than during pregnancy, there is no present contraindication to the continued controlled experimental use of pure LSD."3

The progression of this issue and its related articles is a perfect example of how dozens of journal references supporting one position may still be wrong. In many cases, only time and the evolution of knowledge can sort it out.

It would be interesting to read a retrospective on this part of psychedelic research history.

that consist of intension that has no extension to existence. The Drug War is essentially a genre of fiction material, and in this manner it is no different from any of the other establishments of religion,

Erasmo Leiva-Merikakis notes that "we must conclude, then, that the genre of the Gospel is not that of pure 'history'; but neither is it that of myth, fairy tale, or legend. In fact, 'gospel' constitutes a genre all its own, a surprising novelty in the literature of the ancient world."[5]

That is what the Drug War ultimately is. It is a genre of themed materials. It's a collection of intension. A system that can be thought in. It is a system of materials that can be thought in despite having no extension to reality. It is a false signal. Just as the Batesian mimic signals intension that denotes extension despite having no extension,

400px-Batesian_vs_M%C3%BCllerian_Mimicry.svg.png

The Drug War is signaled intension that implies an extension that it doesn't have. It relies on people relying on the intension itself without ever bothering trying to dereference it to what it purports to be. It relies on the intension being reified and used as if it were what it purported to denote.

Reification (also known as concretism, hypostatization, or the fallacy of misplaced concreteness) is a fallacy of ambiguity, when an abstraction (abstract belief or hypothetical construct) is treated as if it were a concrete real event or physical entity.[1][2] In other words, it is the error of treating something that is not concrete, such as an idea, as a concrete thing. A common case of reification is the confusion of a model with reality: "the map is not the territory".

It exploits an evolved ability to use language by substituting for reality language that purports to be reality. Which is why the more psychotic people are the more likely they are to believe in it. Because the human brain has evolved over the past several thousands of years to be able to make use of intension rather than needing to directly manipulate the extension denoted by it,

The symbolic thinking that developed in humans led to rapid technological innovation, sophisticated visual arts, and language. This newly formed cognitive capacity may have had another, unexpected result. After continuously growing in size over the span of the Pleistocene, our brain has contracted in size by 13% in the past 20,000 years or so (Hawks, 2011 and references therein). One possible explanation is that the symbolic thinking that developed in modern humans led to a fundamentally different way to compute data, one that extracts only the essence required for abstract representation instead of computing the entire set of incoming raw data (Tattersall, 2017). Our brain membrane is metabolically expensive, so the newly formed algorithm that requires less data led to shedding of the unneeded membrane, resulting in brain diminution in recent evolutionary time. Our proposal is that the symbolic thinking pervasive in humans that led to brain diminution is exemplified, and was even enhanced, by the CMIT that we see in the cave and rock art of Africa and elsewhere in the world and by the development of language. Thus, contrary to Wallace, the development of the arts gave the modern humans a powerful evolutionary advantage.

Language and psychosis have a common origin in the genetic event (the 'big bang') that defined the species.

Heather Hazlett, in the department of psychiatry at the Carolina Institute for Developmental Disabilities, and her colleagues studied MRI images of 38 children diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) at 2 years old and compared them with the scans from 21 unaffected youngsters of the same age. All the children were scanned again at age 4 or 5, and at all stages, the children with ASD had on average 6% more total brain volume and 9% more volume in the cerebral cortex, the region of the brain that contains the “newest” sprouting of neurons and is responsible for everything from receiving signals and input from the environment to processing memory and attention.

dx.doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0906080106

Evidence from the effects of risk variants on growth-signaling pathways shows that autism-spectrum conditions tend to be associated with up-regulation of pathways due to loss of function mutations in negative regulators, whereas schizophrenia is associated with reduced pathway activation. Finally, data from studies of head and brain size phenotypes indicate that autism is commonly associated with developmentally-enhanced brain growth, whereas schizophrenia is characterized, on average, by reduced brain growth. These convergent lines of evidence appear most compatible with the hypothesis that autism and schizophrenia represent diametric conditions with regard to their genomic underpinnings, neurodevelopmental bases, and phenotypic manifestations as reflecting under-development versus dysregulated over-development of the human social brain.

What is psychosis?

Psychosis is characterized by an impaired relationship with reality. And it is a symptom of serious mental disorders. People who are psychotic may have either hallucinations or delusions.

Recent studies by researchers at Cardiff University and University of Cambridge suggest we are all hallucinating all of the time to comprehend the world that surrounds us. This research opens new doors of perception as related to the ways we view hallucinations and their prevalence.

Sifting through the noise

One way to look at hallucinations is seeing them as a part of predictive brain processes. We constantly need to make sense of our surrounding world. In trying to grasp a spatial and visual sense of our surroundings that might appear slightly vague when we're barraged by a wide array of sensory input, we have to use our brains to predict and understand the overall structure of the environment with the use of prior knowledge. The prior knowledge we have about an environment plays a huge role in the way we visually process our world.

"Vision is a constructive process — in other words, our brain makes up the world that we 'see'," and "fills in the blanks, ignoring the things that don't quite fit, and presents to us an image of the world that has been edited and made to fit with what we expect," explains lead researcher Christoph Teufel of Cardiff University.

Our predictive brains are beneficial to us because "it makes us efficient and adept at creating a coherent picture of an ambiguous and complex world,” and that it “means that we are not very far away from perceiving things that aren’t actually there, which is the definition of a hallucination,” says Paul Fletcher, senior author of the research done at Cambridge.

How much do we see? In fact, we see very little, just a few things our attention happens to focus on. Every time we look at something we just pick up a few features and 'recognize' the whole picture from our past experiences and memories. For example, when we enter a familiar room, we do not have to examine every item there to recognize it. We just know what is there and where everything is located. A quick glance is enough. So do we actually see the environment or do we just know 'what is there'? In fact, our perceptual reconstruction (or 'what we think we see') comes from two opposite directions - from outside (environmental stimuli) and inside (mental images we have stored in the brain). The more familiar the environment or situation, the less we actually perceive it. The brain does not need to process all the stimuli; it just 'fills in the gaps' and 'predicts' the final picture.

There is much evidence that one of the problems many autistic people experience is their inability to distinguish between foreground and background stimuli. They often are unable to discriminate between relevant and irrelevant stimuli. What is background to others may be equally foreground to them. They perceive everything without filtration or selection. As Donna Williams describes it, they seem to have no sieve in their brain to select the information that is worth being attended. This results in a paradoxical phenomenon: sensory information is received in infinite detail and holistically at the same time. It can be described as 'gestalt perception', i.e. perception of the whole scene as a single entity with all the details perceived (not processed!) simultaneously. They may be aware of the information others miss, but the processing of 'holistic situations' can be overwhelming. As there is too much information coming in, it is hard to know which stimuli to attend. It is often difficult for the autistic person to 'break' the whole picture into meaningful entities, to 'draw the boundaries' around plenty of tiny sensory pieces to make them meaningful items.

In contrast to our guessing 'what is there' from our experience and memory instead of actually seeing it, autistic children seem to be unable to filter the incoming information and tend to perceive all the stimuli around them. Instead of 'inventing' the world as we do, they actually perceive it. Such 'acute-perception' brings overwhelming information the brain cannot cope with.

Increased Risk for Substance Use-Related Problems in Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Population-Based Cohort Study

In summary, this large population-based study suggests that individuals with ASD have higher risk of substance use-related problems than population controls; most likely because of a shared familial liability for these conditions. An important implication of our findings concerns diagnostics and treatment strategies in ASD. Increased risk of substance-related problems in ASD suggests attention and preventive measures regarding substance use disorder in this population.

The authors conclude that what they found “is the opposite pattern to autism and therefore consistent with the autism-psychosis model which proposes that these clinical disorders reside at diametrically opposing poles of a single continuum.

The Drug War is a system of intension that can be manipulated by a grammar of sorts --- that can be thought in --- that can be held in one's mind and reasoned in the confines of. What it can't do is actually dereference to anything in existence, because it consists --- essentially --- of nothing but intension.

The Drug War exploits the evolved nature of the human brain to be able to reason in intension separately from its extension, by putting forth intension that doesn't actually have any extension and relying on people never actually trying to dereference it --- and rather simply reifying it. Because it is a system that can be reasoned in the confines of. And it does have a sort of rule system, or a grammar to it. And it is --- at least somewhat --- consistent, as far as a genre of fiction materials goes. The catch is that it doesn't dereference to anything in existence. It doesn't actually have extension.

Last edited:
Damn that nigga knows a lot about drug theory ^

Listening to believers in the Drug War talk is indistinguishable from listening to convergent mentally ill people.

A growing tribe of troubled minds

Mental health professionals say the narrative has taken hold among a group of people experiencing psychotic symptoms that have troubled the human mind since time immemorial. Except now victims are connecting on the internet, organizing and defying medical explanations for what’s happening to them.

The community, conservatively estimated to exceed 10,000 members, has proliferated since 9/11, cradled by the internet and fed by genuine concerns over government surveillance. A large number appear to have delusional disorder or schizophrenia, psychiatrists say.

Yet, the phenomenon remains virtually unresearched.

For the few specialists who have looked closely, these individuals represent an alarming development in the history of mental illness: thousands of sick people, banded together and demanding recognition on the basis of shared paranoias.

They raise money, hold awareness campaigns, host international conferences and fight for their causes in courts and legislatures

Perhaps their biggest victory came last year, when believers in Richmond, Calif., persuaded the City Council to pass a resolution banning space-based weapons that they believe could be used for mind control. A similar lobbying effort is underway in Tucson.

There is ultimately little difference from my perspective, listening to these people and listening to the most staunch supporters of the Drug War. They are all just organized psychotics talking about their socially convergent delusional belief systems.

Even the very nomenclature of the Drug War is just nonsensical to me. Like how they call what I would term "psychedelics" "hallucinogens" and act as if they are what I would term "deliriants." I mean, every single time they actually say anything it just reveals their fundamental lack of any actual knowledge regarding the matter. They know a themed collection of fiction materials that purported to describe the way drugs are. It's like listening to the believers in the anti-vaccination movement talking about vaccines.

I laugh at how they think they have any ability to "treat me" of my use of drugs. I assure you, that your "treatment programs" are a waste of money. I will never in my entire life believe in the fiction materials of your establishment of religion. And there are actually numerous Drug Religions; however, the core Drug War is, as far as I can tell anyway, two primary religions, one being Christian themed,

64210.jpg

Anyway, thinking that surely the wise, benevolent, government rehab masters probably knew much more about quitting drugs than I did, I signed up for the class, and was appalled when such a low-caliber book was issued as curriculum. And the instructor of the class was a middle-aged church volunteer who had never touched drugs in his life! It seemed like his training was mostly religious, and he had no psychiatric expertise at all! The class began with a hymn, and as I listened to a dozen tone-deaf inmates sing ‘How Great Thou Art’, I found myself wondering: what if a Buddhist wants to get off drugs? Or an Atheist? But religious tolerance is not in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice’s lexicon, apparently. So these so-called ‘proven techniques’ to get us all off the yam-yam were simply: ‘Jesus up your ass’.

Which was pretty much what this book is. Jesus up your ass.
The first part is a story that describes one of the biggest druggie fuck-ups in the history of drug abuse. He killed his son via vehicular homicide while high on meth. He ruined a good marriage. He flushed his business down the toilet. He blew thousands of dollars on drugs, which he then hid in the desert and lost due to being high and paranoid. And all this is chronicled in a writing style that makes you wonder if he’s really clean now. The run-on sentences and spelling errors were painful to behold. Clearly this man was mentally impaired independently of any substance abuse problems. This part of the book actually made me feel better about my own mistakes made while high.

But the later chapters are simply these disjointed, Bible-inspired diatribes about the satanic nature of meth: using it, making it, and selling it. It’s within these pages that you will find gems like: “Those who make meth must stir many ingredients together in a cauldron like a witch. The Bible says that ‘Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live’, with a ‘witch’ being defined as an ‘administer of potions’.” So, according to the logic of this book, if you stir something together in a bowl, it’s a potion, and you are a witch who must be put to death. I wonder if that applies to the makers of Tylenol, or even just a cook in a kitchen? Come to think of it, my spaghetti is pretty fuckin’ magical.

And the other being without theist undertones so much to it; however, I believe this one is ultimately based on the teaching of Synanon.

No fewer than 50 programs (though not the Rotenberg Center) can trace their treatment philosophy, directly or indirectly, to an antidrug cult called Synanon.

DFAF was founded by Betty Sembler, wife of shopping center developer and Ambassador Mel Sembler. In 1976, Betty and Mel Sembler founded the cult[4] Straight, Incorporated, a "coercive rehabilitation" program in the United States that produced hundreds of reports of abuse of adolescents and their families during its 15 years of existence. Straight was adapted from the controversial therapeutic community programs Synanon and The Seed.

The Synanon organization, initially a drug rehabilitation program, was founded by Charles E. "Chuck" Dederich, Sr., (1913–1997) in 1958 in Santa Monica, California. By the early 1960s, Synanon had also become an alternative community, attracting people with its emphasis on living a self-examined life, as aided by group truth-telling sessions that came to be known as the "Synanon Game." Synanon ultimately became the Church of Synanon in the 1970s, and disbanded permanently in 1991[1]

I think that the US Drug War has been most heavily influenced by a mixture of Christian Sorcery beliefs and the teachings of Synanon. However, there are numerous other drug religions as well, including Narconon for example.

Narconon International (commonly known as Narconon) is a Scientology organization that promotes the theories of founder L. Ron Hubbard regarding substance abuse treatment and addiction. Its parent company is the Association for Better Living and Education (ABLE), which is owned and controlled by the Church of Scientology.[1][2][3][4] Headquartered in Hollywood, California, U.S.,[5] Narconon operates several dozen residential centers worldwide, chiefly in the United States and Western Europe. The organization was formed in 1966 by Scientologist William Benitez with Hubbard's help. Benitez contacted Hubbard after reading his book, Scientology: The Fundamentals of Thought and Narconon was incorporated in 1970.[6]

While both the Church of Scientology and Narconon state that Narconon is a secular program, that it is independent of Scientology,[7] and that it provides legitimate drug education and rehabilitation,[8][9] Narconon has been described by many government reports and former patients as a Church of Scientology front group.[10][11][12][13][14]

The program has garnered considerable controversy as a result of its origins in Scientology[10][15][16] and its methods. Its drug rehabilitation treatment has been described as "medically unsafe",[17] "quackery"[18][19][20] and "medical fraud",[21] while academic and medical experts have dismissed its educational program as containing "factual errors in basic concepts such as physical and mental effects, addiction and even spelling".[22]

It's always funny to see religious people calling each other insane. It reminds me of this traditional Christian site critiquing the beliefs of Mormons.

Can a decapitated body lift itself up and gasp for breath? The Book of Mormon seems to say so. The story is found in the Book of Ether and recounts a sword fight between a Jaredite king named Coriantumr (Ether 12:1) and Shiz, the brother of Lib (Ether 14:17).

As the story goes, Lib was killed in a battle with Coriantumr’s army. As a result, Shiz followed Coriantumr in vengeful pursuit, burning cities and killing women and children along the way. Finally the two armies met near the seashore and gave battle for three days. After the third battle, Shiz wounded Coriantumr with “many deep wounds,” and he had to be “carried away as though he were dead.”

After recovering from his wounds, Coriantumr began to feel bad over the fact that “there had been slain two millions of mighty men, and also their wives and their children.” He attempted to make peace with Shiz, but Shiz agreed only if he would be allowed to kill Coriantumr with his own sword. Well, this only infuriated Coriantumr’s people, and so the fighting started all over again.

Eventually the armies meet. For several days men, women, and children fight relentlessly until only Coriantumr and Shiz remain. Ether 15:29 states that in the course of the battle, “Shiz had fainted with the loss of blood.” Taking advantage of the situation, Coriantumr took his sword and “smote off the head of Shiz.” But that isn’t the end. Verse 31 reports that “after he had smitten off the head of Shiz, that Shiz raised upon his hands and fell; and after that he had struggled for breath, he died.” The question is, how can a man without a head raise himself and also struggle for breath?

It's bizarre how neurotypicals can process the beliefs of others with the brain network that is capable of rationality,

System 1 has been variously characterized as 'intuitive', 'emotion-driven' and 'experiential'; whereas System 2 has been characterized as, 'controlled', 'rule-based', 'rational' and 'analytic'. We know of two lines of work which link cognitive neuroscience to this classical form of dual process theory:one which looks at logical reasoning (Goel and Dolan, 2003), the other moral judgments (Greene et al., 2004). Both identify areas in the DMN and TPN associated with System 1 and System 2 reasoning respectively. Hence, the link between dual-process theories of cognition and the DMN vs.TPN dichotomy appears worthy of further investigation.

But then they toggle into their default mode networks when their equally outlandish beliefs are questioned.

Jonah was in the giant fish three days. God commanded the whale, and it vomited the reluctant prophet onto dry land. This time Jonah obeyed God. He walked through Nineveh proclaiming that in forty days the city would be destroyed. Surprisingly, the Ninevites believed Jonah's message and repented, wearing sackcloth and covering themselves in ashes.

Finally, we have demonstrated that attention to engaging social stimuli not only activates the DMN but also deactivates the TPN. In a subsequent study[30] it was shown that this pattern of DMN activation and TPN deactivation was present for humanizing depictions of individuals, whereas dehumanizing depictions, which are associated with decreased moral concern, either involved decreased activity in the DMN or increased activity in the TPN. Taken together, these findings suggest that we are neurologically constrained from simultaneously exercising moral concern and analytic thinking.

"These findings," Friedman continued, "are consistent with the philosophical view, espoused by (Immanuel) Kant, according to which there are two distinct types of truth: empirical and moral."

I mean, really? Are Drug Jihadists really saying that Narconon is based on fundamental misunderstandings of science? It's as bizarre as people who think that a man lived in a giant fish for three days thinking that others are insane because they think a decapitated warrior stood up and gasped for breath.

"Severe dopaminergic neurotoxicity in primates after a common recreational dose regimen of MDMA[nb 1] ("ecstasy")",[1] was a paper by Dr. George Ricaurte which was published in the leading journal Science, and later retracted. The reason was that instead of using MDMA, methamphetamine had been used in the test.[2]
Another remarkable aspect of this episode is the public endorsement of the study, at the time of its publication, by Alan Leshner, chief executive of the AAAS and former director of NIDA. It isn't clear why an officer of the AAAS should be involved at all in publicly promoting a particular result published in its journal, least of all one whose outcome was questioned at the outset by several experts. The AAAS issued the retraction late in the afternoon on Friday 5 September, resulting in low-key media coverage, which contrasts sharply with the hype surrounding the initial paper.
In an interview in The Scientist[13] British scientists Colin Blakemore and Leslie Iversen described how they expressed concerns about the article with editors at Science. "It's an outrageous scandal," Iversen told The Scientist. "It's another example of a certain breed of scientist who appear to do research on illegal drugs mainly to show what the governments want them to show. They extract large amounts of grant money from the government to do this sort of biased work."

Upon results of the review, Research Triangle Institute asserted it was impossible the vials had been mislabeled as all other vials in suspect lots were properly labeled by labeling machines and it was not possible some vials had been mislabeled while others had not as the machines use printed rolls of labels. Many have asserted Ricaurte switched the labels in order to insure the continuation of funding and his results were fraudulent rather than mistaken. NIDA and AAAS are also suspected of aiding in the fraud.[14]

This week’s Retro Report video on “crack babies” (infants born to addicted mothers) lays out how limited scientific studies in the 1980s led to predictions that a generation of children would be damaged for life. Those predictions turned out to be wrong. This supposed epidemic — one television reporter talks of a 500 percent increase in damaged babies — was kicked off by a study of just 23 infants that the lead researcher now says was blown out of proportion. And the shocking symptoms — like tremors and low birth weight — are not particular to cocaine-exposed babies, pediatric researchers say; they can be seen in many premature newborns.

Last edited:
Yes. Drugs are a low IQ vope, poison that kills you slowly.

I probably believed whatever they told me when I was very young, but I remember questioning everything I was being taught very early
I've experimented with short periods of drugmaxxing in the past, mostly because I was curious about the effects of stimulants on me (I seem to react differently compared to most people), but nowadays I generally (I drink some tea, because I think the health benefits outweigh the small dose of caffeine) choose to abstain from them, because they don't seem helpful
the only drugs I'd like to try are psychedelics, because it seems like they could help me in the mastery of subconsciousness

I drink a lot and smoke weed.
I do plan to try shrooms

No, my parents would ground me for staying out late

Yes. Drugs are a low IQ vope, poison that kills you slowly.

Higher IQ people use more drugs. There is a dramatic fall off in drug use rates as intelligence falls below average, and as it increases above average all the way up to gifted there is a gradual increase (there is somewhat of a drop off at very gifted though).

49834-38883.jpg

The following graph shows the association between childhood general intelligence and the latent factor for the consumption of psychoactive drugs, constructed from indicators for the consumption of 13 different types of psychoactive drugs (cannabis, ecstasy, amphetamines, LSD, amyl nitrate, magic mushrooms, cocaine, temazepan, semeron, ketamine, crack, heroin, and methadone). As you can see, there is a clear monotonic association between childhood general intelligence and adult consumption of psychoactive drugs. “Very bright” individuals (with IQs above 125) are roughly three-tenths of a standard deviation more likely to consume psychoactive drugs than “very dull” individuals (with IQs below 75).

The following graph shows a similar association between childhood intelligence and the latent factor for the consumption of psychoactive drugs among Americans. The data come from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health. The childhood intelligence is measured in junior high and high school, and the adult drug consumption is measured seven years later, and constructed from indicators for the consumption of 5 different types of psychoactive drugs (marijuana, cocaine, LSD, crystal meth, and heroin). The association is not monotonic, but nevertheless, “normal” (90 < IQ < 110), “bright” (110 < IQ < 125), and “very bright” individuals consume more psychoactive substances than “very dull” or “dull” (75 < IQ < 90) individuals.

The entire article tries to rationalize away what is blatantly obvious though. Smarter people use more drugs because the Drug War is a fraudulent establishment of religion and stupid people believe in the fiction materials of it more so. Atheists also use more drugs.

Young Swiss men who say that they believe in God are less likely to smoke cigarettes or pot or take ecstasy pills than Swiss men of the same age group who describe themselves as atheists. Belief is a protective factor against addictive behaviour. This is the conclusion reached by a study funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation.

There is mounting evidence, both correlational and causal, which demonstrates that analytic thinking (as measured by tests of intelligence and critical thinking) discourages the acceptance of religious and spiritual beliefs [1–7]. One interpretation of these findings is that analytic thinking decreases belief because it encourages individuals to carefully evaluate data and arguments and/or override certain intuitively appealing beliefs [2, 4, 6].

So do autistic people.

Increased Risk for Substance Use-Related Problems in Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Population-Based Cohort Study

In summary, this large population-based study suggests that individuals with ASD have higher risk of substance use-related problems than population controls; most likely because of a shared familial liability for these conditions. An important implication of our findings concerns diagnostics and treatment strategies in ASD. Increased risk of substance-related problems in ASD suggests attention and preventive measures regarding substance use disorder in this population.

The authors conclude that what they found “is the opposite pattern to autism and therefore consistent with the autism-psychosis model which proposes that these clinical disorders reside at diametrically opposing poles of a single continuum.

What is psychosis?

Psychosis is characterized by an impaired relationship with reality.
And it is a symptom of serious mental disorders. People who are psychotic may have either hallucinations or delusions.

Smart people who aren't psychotic and who don't believe in religious fiction materials are more likely to use drugs. The reason for this is that the Drug War is literally a 20th century establishment of religion based on the belief of convergent psychotics in a fantasy world described in a themed collection of scientifically refuted religious fiction materials.

“If we’re lucky, our grandchildren will recall the global war on drugs of the late 20th and early 21st centuries as some bizarre mania,” says Nadelmann.

Social manias are mass movements which periodically sweep through societies. They are characterized by an outpouring of enthusiasm, mass involvement and millenarian goals. Social manias are contagious social epidemics, and as such they should be differentiated from mania in individuals.

Social manias come in different sizes and strengths. Some social manias fail to 'catch fire', while others persist for hundreds of years (although sometimes in severely attenuated form). Common to all is a vision of salvation, a new way of life, which if realized would radically change everyday life, ushering in a new world of freedom and justice.

The Taiping Rebellion is an excellent illustration, as it was both widespread and destructive and has no modern adherents to whom its use as an example would be a distraction. The Ghost dance which was briefly embraced by Native Americans of the Great Plains in 1890 is another excellent example which may be viewed in some historical perspective, as may The Crusades. Almost any form of religion could be argued to be a long-standing social mania, many of which have persisted through thousands of years.

A professor at Stanford University, Robert Sapolsky, has said that religion is a mental illness, and that the behaviours exhibited by ‘prophets’ in religious texts are diagnosable acts.

The self-described atheist, who is also a neuroendocrinologist, argues that religion is comparable to a shared schizophrenia.

Males and females in the general population differ, on average, in their drive for empathizing (higher in females) and systemizing (higher in males). People with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) show a drive for systemizing over empathizing, irrespective of sex, which led to the conceptualisation of ASD as an ‘extreme of the typical male brain’. The opposite cognitive profile, an ‘extreme of the typical female brain’, has been proposed to be linked to conditions such as psychosis and mania/hypomania.

Autistic people:

Higher IQ in aspergers: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10803-013-2025-2

in children with Asperger’s disorder. A test of fluid intelligence, the Raven’s Standard Progressive Matrices Test, was administered to 17 children with Asperger’s disorder and 17 age-, gender-, and FIQ-matched normal children. The results showed that children with Asperger’s disorder outperformed on the test of fluid reasoning than typically developing children. We suggest that individuals with Asperger’s disorder have higher fluid reasoning ability than normal individuals, highlighting superior fluid intelligence.

People with autism have a greater than normal capacity for processing information even from rapid presentations and are better able to detect information defined as "critical," according to a new study.

Why Do Autistic Individuals Show Superior Performance on the Block Design Task?

Superior physics abilities

Autism: Deficits in folk psychology exist alongside superiority in folk physics.

Superior science abilities

Compared to healthy elderly adults, Alzheimer’s patients were more likely to judge unwarranted teleological explanations as accept-able. They were also more likely to judge those explanations as preferable to mechanistic ones. These findings suggest that teleology, like animism, is a deep-seated form of intuition that can be suppressed by a more scientific worldview but cannot be eradicated altogether.

"Does Poor Understanding of Physical World Predict Religious and Paranormal Beliefs?"

(unfounded mentalizing is animism)

Unlike the earlier studies, which have addressed only few specific targets and attributes, unfounded mentalizing was here apparent throughout a range of basic physical objects and processes, and at a higher level of abstraction, on the superordinate concept of mental. This kind of mental-physical confusion has been recognized mainly among ancient people and small children.

The ability to distinguish mental from physical seems to be impaired both among ASD individuals and supernatural believers, although its manifestation is reversed. Because findings from hyper-mentalistic and hyper-mechanistic cognition, as two opposite phenotypes, can help each other in the search for their underlying mechanisms, one promising approach for future studies might be to integrate research on this newly found matter-blindness to research on mind-blindness

In a second experiment, Heywood and Bering compared 27 people with Asperger’s with 34 neurotypical people who are atheists. The atheists, as expected, often invoked anti-teleological responses such as “there is no reason why; things just happen.” The people with Asperger’s were significantly less likely to offer such anti-teleological explanations than the atheists, indicating they were not engaged in teleological thinking at all. (The atheists, in contrast, revealed themselves to be reasoning teleologically, but then they rejected those thoughts.)

Higher IQ people who are less psychotic and who have superior innate science abilities are much more likely to use illegal drugs. The reason for this is quite frankly that the Drug War is literally a 20th century establishment of religion based on the belief of convergent manic psychotics in a make believe fantasy world described in a themed collection of scientifically refuted religious fiction materials.

Last edited: