Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Cope Coping Autistic Retards

• Thread starter WhitePilledRage
  • Start date
WhitePilledRage

WhitePilledRage

Recruit
★★★
Are normies really this stupid that they think someone like this is highly intelligent? I'm sick of these shitbags and how they judge intelligence based on getting some stupid piece of paper and regurgitating information. I have a similar problem (poor memory, absent minded), and lots of people consider me retarded. I wonder why this one is seen as smart.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/aspergers/comments/b9q9yz/seen_as_being_highly_intelligent_but_need_quite_a/?rdt=62730

Seen as being highly intelligent , but need quite a lot of help with daily tasks
Does this ring a bell with anyone? You're seen as being intelligent , but your practical intelligence is low/very low.

Archived post. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Upvote

Downvote

comments

0 awards

Sort by:

Best
[deleted]
[deleted]
OP

5y ago
Thanks for the replies everyone. It hasn't helped over the years that until recently no one saw there might be a problem. Hence the tendency to mark me down as awkward/lazy/passive aggressive etc .

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

saucy_awesome

5y ago
Hence the tendency to mark me down as awkward/lazy/passive aggressive etc .

Exactly what I deal with. I've been called lazy my entire life. My teachers always wondered why I wasn't "working up to my potential."

I'm quite "intelligent" as far as learning/utilizing information and problem solving, but I'll be damned if I can get my car in for service on an appropriate schedule or pay my vehicle registration (which is currently 6 months late) or like, clean my living space. I can tell you details for days about my special interests, and I can tell you how to solve almost any problem, but I can only barely manage to keep my life together.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

[deleted]
[deleted]

5y ago
I have this problem. I can handle academics, I cannot handle day to day socialization.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

1 more reply
u/ragnarkar avatar
ragnarkar

5y ago
I did very well academically and later learned to take care of everyday things sufficiently mostly out of necessity: I didn't have friends and stayed single for a long time and didn't have anyone to turn to for my daily needs.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

1 more reply
u/hooond avatar
hooond

5y ago
Exactly. I'm really arrogant when it comes to my intelligence, but at the same time I feel so dumb and useless because I can't do the simplest tasks without someone giving me exact instructions

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

compwiz1202

5y ago
They need to be more specific. Don't ask me to get something off the table when there are four. And there's a difference between doing something blatantly wrong and just DIFFERENTLY than you.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

2 more replies
illage2

5y ago
People think I'm intelligent the relaity is that I'm not, in fact I'm the complete opposite.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

u/AHappyWorld avatar
AHappyWorld

5y ago
I also have that. Terrible with every day tasks. Once smashed my head into my sink trying to put trousers on but got legs stuck. Never used to study for tests yet used to get high 80-90% and once got told by tutor that I was the only one with any intellect in the class, don't class my self as exceptionally intelligent although I have once been called the most intelligent person that someone had met. Really wanted to join Mensa at one point when I was 15 I read an article with questions and if you answered all correctly you were able to apply to join. Not bothered about it at all now.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

[deleted]

5y ago

[deleted]

5y ago
[deleted]
[deleted]

5y ago

Edited 5y ago
I apologize for the verbosity of this comment in advance!

I can tell you everything from the history of the development of Mahayana Buddhism in East Asia to analysis of Kendrick Lamar's discography, to the detailed interpretations of literary classics and the most obscure philosophical and political theories, yet I can barely wash my own clothes consistently. I possess what seems to others an immense treasure trove of knowledge, yet I personally have difficulty performing the simplest of tasks. I barely do homework, I don't study for tests, and I hardly pay attention in my classes.

But I can go home and read all about the history of the Soviet Union, memorize a cornucopia of statistical minutiae found in sports and the social sciences, and watch multitudes of documentaries and write creatively. I once did an entire semester's worth of assignments in one day. I caught up in one of my classes after not paying attention for weeks upon weeks in a few hours. I memorize entire speeches and passages from literature, I am an excellent speller, and I am meticulous and I suffer from a unduly amount of perfectionism. I even went into kindergarten reading at a 2nd/3rd grade reading level, and I studied chemistry at a university at the age of 7.

But I am 23 now and I have a 2.7 GPA in university. I have missed entire semesters, have dropped many courses, and I regularly skip going to classes just because I feel like it. I get A's and B's these days by doing barely any substantial work at all. And this is not r/iamverysmart material here, I am just being objective. Sometimes I feel that my intellectual powers are a great burden to me. Gifts of any kind are bounded along with an immense sense of personal responsibility, and in some ways my talents have only beget much angst and isolation from peers.

Practically speaking, I struggle with almost every facet of daily living. I sometimes do not shower, I have trouble with executive functioning skills, and while I have tried to work (mostly in client facing positions in the food services or retail industries), those jobs caused me to stress greatly. Interacting with people daily can be such a burden; interfacing with others through a facade is particularly draining, and personally the money isn't worth it for me in some sense. I have had many relationships where the significant other merely grew tired of my ways-- slowly beginning to berate me for not driving, for not having a job, and for having obscure interests.

I always feel that, in a loose sense, that I must achieve lofty goals with the aid of my "supposed" genius. I hope to win multiple accolades such as the Pulitzer Prize or the National Book Award, and perhaps win a Nobel Prize in Literature, Peace or Economic Sciences someday in the future. I have dreamed of being a virtuoso and a polymath of sorts, which is partly why my eccentricities and interests are so scattered and varied. I want to use my gifts to show others that life is varied and complex, and that even the most obscure and distant faculties can connect in beautiful ways.

Some part of me feels that desire to be recognized because I have spent all of my life passing by unnoticed. I have the sense that, within the grottoes of my conscience, I secretly believe that one day I shall reach a pinnacle from which I might be listened to rather than being disregarded as eccentric, peculiar or alien. Perhaps the acclaim I yearn for is merely my way of desiring to be accepted and loved by the people of this world.

I again apologize for the long comment. Writing through my thought processes is one of the few methods that allow me to see lucidly.

Cheers. Don't be hard on yourself, friend. Continue to be yourself, and everything else will follow.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

merryman1

5y ago
Yeah intellectually very capable - Writing up my PhD thesis currently. Practically, it takes me a long time (and usually a lot of practise) to learn what I am actually doing. Physically I am a complete mess I can be incredibly clumsy and have broken most of my toes and fingers through stupid accidents the moment I stop paying 100% attention to whatever I am doing.

Its actually incredibly frustrating to be honest, people either get the impression I'm really thick then don't take me seriously when it comes to showing off what I actually know, or they think I'm really clever and are then massively let down when I am trying to teach them how to do things in the lab.

Thankfully(? maybe not...) I have lived alone for the last 8 years out of 10 so I've had no choice but to learn how to handle everyday practical things. I worry though I have a very specific way of doing things, so maybe I am overlooking other things I should be doing but am not aware of, and also I really freak out when I am trying to do things the way I do them and then someone else tries doing the same thing differently or to teach me a different way of doing the thing? Its weird. I'm weird. I hate this.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

[deleted]
noratat

5y ago

Edited 5y ago
This was a huge issue for me growing up.

A lot of people don't understand that intelligence isn't some linear spectrum, and human brains (of all forms) are very good at specializing.

It's true for everyone, but I do think it might be more pronounced with autistic people.

Eg I had extensive vocabulary at a young age, which made many adults assume I was far more capable and mature than I actually was. My large vocab was just that - a large vocabulary.

There were many other things I picked up on long before the rest of my peers, and just as many that were the reverse. Many basic social skills took me until well into my 20s to pick up, but at the same time, I could spot toxic friendships or insincere people almost immediately before I even entered my teens.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

u/prewarpotato avatar
prewarpotato

5y ago
Yeah, frustrating. And then people saying things like "You can do it, you're an intelligent young woman". Thanks, that doesn't help at all.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

keyinthelock

5y ago
This is a great part of the reason why my family/friends have never figured out that I'm autistic as well as why I still hide it from them, despite secretly obtaining an official diagnosis. The doctor I met with suggested what probably seems obviouas to some of us: that higher intelligence allows some autistics to blend and cope better with the general populace compared to their dissimilar peers. Unfortunately, this does mean that when my social/practical skills (time management, completing housework, asking for assistance) collapse like the world's most poorly-constructed house of cards I don't have anyone I feel comfortable expressing my struggles to. So I definitely get what you're experiencing.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

u/IDKin2016 avatar
IDKin2016

5y ago
Similar to me. Seen as intelligent, expectation of high performamce IQ, consequent social confusion as to why I act the way I do.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

Lizard301

5y ago
I relate to this so hard. I was massively brilliant in middle and high school. All my life, really. But as I increased in grades, the more practical work we had to do. Most of the stuff required multiple steps performed in a particular order. You know, executive function stuff. My EF is hosed. Grades slipped. Nobody could figure it out. Must be laziness, because we know she's smart. I am almost 50yo, and I was just diagnosed in November. Now I know just how awful my EF is, I can create contingencies and back ups, etc. I have to have a set order for picking up things, and a set order for how I put them down. If I mindlessly grab my stuff and rush out the door for work, I'll spill my coffee, or my bag will fall over, or my tote will have to sit on the floor and tip, or I'll manage to get everything sort of the way I need it to be, only to have stuff shift when I turn a corner. This has been a HUGE eye opener. And now I allow myself my eccentricities. But yeah, practical stuff that should be So Freaking Easy fouls me up to no end.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

u/LegendaryJackzi avatar
LegendaryJackzi

5y ago
I get sightly annoyed when people call me "intelligent". :(

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

[deleted]
[deleted]

5y ago
I always had friends who didn't pass any tests while I aced them, yet their social/practical skill were still better than mine :') I couldn't be friendly with people my intelligence because my social skills suck, I look like I'm dumb

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

Chrim2p9

5y ago
Yes, this is exactly me. Many teachers and professors said I'm one of their most intelligent students they ever had but I can't bring it down to paper. And in life I struggle with many basic things. And my social intelligence is also very low.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

downvote upvote share delete downvote upvote share delete downvote upvote share delete

Whoa nigga read all that shit

They're not really as bright as they think they are.

You just described all of reddit

Tbh having high IQ is a curse, if i could choose i would rather be average or slightly below average IQ

autism gives you the ability too become high iq, but that same ability might give you a sexual attraction to model railrods instead

dnr nigga. you made me scroll too much

Tbh having high IQ is a curse, if i could choose i would rather be average or slightly below average IQ

IQ tests and IQ itself are bullshit. These people sound retarded to me, i don't GAF what their score is on some stupid test, or how much trivia they've memorized from reading SHIT on the internet all day long.

autism gives you the ability too become high iq, but that same ability might give you a sexual attraction to model railrods instead

How is someone that can't dress themselves properly "intelligent"? IQ is bullshit.

Last edited:
IQ tests and IQ itself are bullshit. These people sound retarded to me, i don't GAF what their score is on some stupid test, or how much trivia they've memorized from reading SHIT on the internet all day long.

How is someone that can't dress themselves properly "intelligent"? IQ is bullshit.
iq is bullshit i know, but a high score can impress some randoms. clothing choice beyond keeping optimal temperature and not freezing too death, is a waste of time.

Are normies really this stupid that they think someone like this is highly intelligent? I'm sick of these shitbags and how they judge intelligence based on getting some stupid piece of paper and regurgitating information. I have a similar problem (poor memory, absent minded), and lots of people consider me retarded. I wonder why this one is seen as smart.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/aspergers/comments/b9q9yz/seen_as_being_highly_intelligent_but_need_quite_a/?rdt=62730

Seen as being highly intelligent , but need quite a lot of help with daily tasks
Does this ring a bell with anyone? You're seen as being intelligent , but your practical intelligence is low/very low.

Archived post. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Upvote

Downvote

comments

0 awards

Sort by:

Best
[deleted]
[deleted]
OP

5y ago
Thanks for the replies everyone. It hasn't helped over the years that until recently no one saw there might be a problem. Hence the tendency to mark me down as awkward/lazy/passive aggressive etc .

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

saucy_awesome

5y ago
Hence the tendency to mark me down as awkward/lazy/passive aggressive etc .

Exactly what I deal with. I've been called lazy my entire life. My teachers always wondered why I wasn't "working up to my potential."

I'm quite "intelligent" as far as learning/utilizing information and problem solving, but I'll be damned if I can get my car in for service on an appropriate schedule or pay my vehicle registration (which is currently 6 months late) or like, clean my living space. I can tell you details for days about my special interests, and I can tell you how to solve almost any problem, but I can only barely manage to keep my life together.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

[deleted]
[deleted]

5y ago
I have this problem. I can handle academics, I cannot handle day to day socialization.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

1 more reply
u/ragnarkar avatar
ragnarkar

5y ago
I did very well academically and later learned to take care of everyday things sufficiently mostly out of necessity: I didn't have friends and stayed single for a long time and didn't have anyone to turn to for my daily needs.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

1 more reply
u/hooond avatar
hooond

5y ago
Exactly. I'm really arrogant when it comes to my intelligence, but at the same time I feel so dumb and useless because I can't do the simplest tasks without someone giving me exact instructions

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

compwiz1202

5y ago
They need to be more specific. Don't ask me to get something off the table when there are four. And there's a difference between doing something blatantly wrong and just DIFFERENTLY than you.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

2 more replies
illage2

5y ago
People think I'm intelligent the relaity is that I'm not, in fact I'm the complete opposite.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

u/AHappyWorld avatar
AHappyWorld

5y ago
I also have that. Terrible with every day tasks. Once smashed my head into my sink trying to put trousers on but got legs stuck. Never used to study for tests yet used to get high 80-90% and once got told by tutor that I was the only one with any intellect in the class, don't class my self as exceptionally intelligent although I have once been called the most intelligent person that someone had met. Really wanted to join Mensa at one point when I was 15 I read an article with questions and if you answered all correctly you were able to apply to join. Not bothered about it at all now.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

[deleted]

5y ago

[deleted]

5y ago
[deleted]
[deleted]

5y ago

Edited 5y ago
I apologize for the verbosity of this comment in advance!

I can tell you everything from the history of the development of Mahayana Buddhism in East Asia to analysis of Kendrick Lamar's discography, to the detailed interpretations of literary classics and the most obscure philosophical and political theories, yet I can barely wash my own clothes consistently. I possess what seems to others an immense treasure trove of knowledge, yet I personally have difficulty performing the simplest of tasks. I barely do homework, I don't study for tests, and I hardly pay attention in my classes.

But I can go home and read all about the history of the Soviet Union, memorize a cornucopia of statistical minutiae found in sports and the social sciences, and watch multitudes of documentaries and write creatively. I once did an entire semester's worth of assignments in one day. I caught up in one of my classes after not paying attention for weeks upon weeks in a few hours. I memorize entire speeches and passages from literature, I am an excellent speller, and I am meticulous and I suffer from a unduly amount of perfectionism. I even went into kindergarten reading at a 2nd/3rd grade reading level, and I studied chemistry at a university at the age of 7.

But I am 23 now and I have a 2.7 GPA in university. I have missed entire semesters, have dropped many courses, and I regularly skip going to classes just because I feel like it. I get A's and B's these days by doing barely any substantial work at all. And this is not r/iamverysmart material here, I am just being objective. Sometimes I feel that my intellectual powers are a great burden to me. Gifts of any kind are bounded along with an immense sense of personal responsibility, and in some ways my talents have only beget much angst and isolation from peers.

Practically speaking, I struggle with almost every facet of daily living. I sometimes do not shower, I have trouble with executive functioning skills, and while I have tried to work (mostly in client facing positions in the food services or retail industries), those jobs caused me to stress greatly. Interacting with people daily can be such a burden; interfacing with others through a facade is particularly draining, and personally the money isn't worth it for me in some sense. I have had many relationships where the significant other merely grew tired of my ways-- slowly beginning to berate me for not driving, for not having a job, and for having obscure interests.

I always feel that, in a loose sense, that I must achieve lofty goals with the aid of my "supposed" genius. I hope to win multiple accolades such as the Pulitzer Prize or the National Book Award, and perhaps win a Nobel Prize in Literature, Peace or Economic Sciences someday in the future. I have dreamed of being a virtuoso and a polymath of sorts, which is partly why my eccentricities and interests are so scattered and varied. I want to use my gifts to show others that life is varied and complex, and that even the most obscure and distant faculties can connect in beautiful ways.

Some part of me feels that desire to be recognized because I have spent all of my life passing by unnoticed. I have the sense that, within the grottoes of my conscience, I secretly believe that one day I shall reach a pinnacle from which I might be listened to rather than being disregarded as eccentric, peculiar or alien. Perhaps the acclaim I yearn for is merely my way of desiring to be accepted and loved by the people of this world.

I again apologize for the long comment. Writing through my thought processes is one of the few methods that allow me to see lucidly.

Cheers. Don't be hard on yourself, friend. Continue to be yourself, and everything else will follow.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

merryman1

5y ago
Yeah intellectually very capable - Writing up my PhD thesis currently. Practically, it takes me a long time (and usually a lot of practise) to learn what I am actually doing. Physically I am a complete mess I can be incredibly clumsy and have broken most of my toes and fingers through stupid accidents the moment I stop paying 100% attention to whatever I am doing.

Its actually incredibly frustrating to be honest, people either get the impression I'm really thick then don't take me seriously when it comes to showing off what I actually know, or they think I'm really clever and are then massively let down when I am trying to teach them how to do things in the lab.

Thankfully(? maybe not...) I have lived alone for the last 8 years out of 10 so I've had no choice but to learn how to handle everyday practical things. I worry though I have a very specific way of doing things, so maybe I am overlooking other things I should be doing but am not aware of, and also I really freak out when I am trying to do things the way I do them and then someone else tries doing the same thing differently or to teach me a different way of doing the thing? Its weird. I'm weird. I hate this.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

[deleted]
noratat

5y ago

Edited 5y ago
This was a huge issue for me growing up.

A lot of people don't understand that intelligence isn't some linear spectrum, and human brains (of all forms) are very good at specializing.

It's true for everyone, but I do think it might be more pronounced with autistic people.

Eg I had extensive vocabulary at a young age, which made many adults assume I was far more capable and mature than I actually was. My large vocab was just that - a large vocabulary.

There were many other things I picked up on long before the rest of my peers, and just as many that were the reverse. Many basic social skills took me until well into my 20s to pick up, but at the same time, I could spot toxic friendships or insincere people almost immediately before I even entered my teens.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

u/prewarpotato avatar
prewarpotato

5y ago
Yeah, frustrating. And then people saying things like "You can do it, you're an intelligent young woman". Thanks, that doesn't help at all.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

keyinthelock

5y ago
This is a great part of the reason why my family/friends have never figured out that I'm autistic as well as why I still hide it from them, despite secretly obtaining an official diagnosis. The doctor I met with suggested what probably seems obviouas to some of us: that higher intelligence allows some autistics to blend and cope better with the general populace compared to their dissimilar peers. Unfortunately, this does mean that when my social/practical skills (time management, completing housework, asking for assistance) collapse like the world's most poorly-constructed house of cards I don't have anyone I feel comfortable expressing my struggles to. So I definitely get what you're experiencing.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

u/IDKin2016 avatar
IDKin2016

5y ago
Similar to me. Seen as intelligent, expectation of high performamce IQ, consequent social confusion as to why I act the way I do.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

Lizard301

5y ago
I relate to this so hard. I was massively brilliant in middle and high school. All my life, really. But as I increased in grades, the more practical work we had to do. Most of the stuff required multiple steps performed in a particular order. You know, executive function stuff. My EF is hosed. Grades slipped. Nobody could figure it out. Must be laziness, because we know she's smart. I am almost 50yo, and I was just diagnosed in November. Now I know just how awful my EF is, I can create contingencies and back ups, etc. I have to have a set order for picking up things, and a set order for how I put them down. If I mindlessly grab my stuff and rush out the door for work, I'll spill my coffee, or my bag will fall over, or my tote will have to sit on the floor and tip, or I'll manage to get everything sort of the way I need it to be, only to have stuff shift when I turn a corner. This has been a HUGE eye opener. And now I allow myself my eccentricities. But yeah, practical stuff that should be So Freaking Easy fouls me up to no end.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

u/LegendaryJackzi avatar
LegendaryJackzi

5y ago
I get sightly annoyed when people call me "intelligent". :(

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

[deleted]
[deleted]

5y ago
I always had friends who didn't pass any tests while I aced them, yet their social/practical skill were still better than mine :') I couldn't be friendly with people my intelligence because my social skills suck, I look like I'm dumb

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

Chrim2p9

5y ago
Yes, this is exactly me. Many teachers and professors said I'm one of their most intelligent students they ever had but I can't bring it down to paper. And in life I struggle with many basic things. And my social intelligence is also very low.

Upvote

Downvote

Award
0 awards

Copium Overdose.

No IQ when you can't communicate that. If you're sub8 no one asks about your opinion

No IQ when you can't communicate that. If you're sub8 no one asks about your opinion

Yea, being "intelligent" is useless without useful connections. I'd rather be a stupid Chad anyday.