Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion Controlling a bunch of switches at once with a computer? STEMcels get in here.

• Thread starter Deleted member 21883
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21883

Self-banned
-
Is this kind of thing commercially produced? I don't need actual outlet plugs, just small connections, like the kind on device internals, such as found on the back of toggles.

Why do you want to do that?
To control actuators.
Does something like this exist? (Like a sort of breadboard type thing?) I assume if you can turn pixels on and off with a computer you should be able turn switches on and off.

Last edited:
As nazianime mentiones, what you're looking for is called a "relay".

There are different ones depending on the voltage. The ones for switching 120V power are are kinda big. You can buy them individually or with a bunch on one board.

tutorial-for-controlling-ac-devices-with-one-channel-relay-module-and-arduino.jpg

You first need to learn Arduino to do this kind stuff.

Also I think what you want to look into is PLCs.
As nazianime mentiones, what you're looking for is called a "relay".

There are different ones depending on the voltage. The ones for switching 120V power are are kinda big. You can buy them individually or with a bunch on one board.

tutorial-for-controlling-ac-devices-with-one-channel-relay-module-and-arduino.jpg

You first need to learn Arduino to do this kind stuff.
Thanks. I will read up.

Last edited:
Clarification, I just mean switching on and off power to devices,
That model is for switching electricity. Depending on if you have high power devices you need mains relays for it. So you have a computer connected relay small controller that switches a mains relay.

I am not an electricity expert, but there is more then one way to do what you want that can be cheaper and easier. Probably with a adruino. But I don't know how many channels you need, as in how much stuff you are trying to turn on and off individually.

That model is for switching electricity. Depending on if you have high power devices you need mains relays for it. So you have a computer connected relay small controller that switches a mains relay.

I am not an electricity expert, but there is more then one way to do what you want that can be cheaper and easier. Probably with a adruino. But I don't know how many channels you need, as in how much stuff you are trying to turn on and off individually.
Yes that is what I think. I just meant to clarify that I mean generic power terminals, not like USB or RCA jacks or whatever.

Yes that is what I think. I just meant to clarify that I mean generic power terminals, not like USB or RCA jacks or whatever.
If just switching a power outlet on or off would be enough you could also try to find a Wifi Smart power bar. Something like this:

Amazon product ASIN B07P65GJS1View: https://www.amazon.com/Gosund-Protector-Controlled-Individually-Required/dp/B07P65GJS1

You'd want to shop around for one with either an app you like or if you know any programming you could find one with an open API.

If just switching a power outlet on or off would be enough you could also try to find a Wifi Smart power bar. Something like this:

Amazon product ASIN B07P65GJS1View: https://www.amazon.com/Gosund-Protector-Controlled-Individually-Required/dp/B07P65GJS1

You'd want to shop around for one with either an app you like or if you know any programming you could find one with an openft API.
No, I was talking about the actual controlled terminals, not the computer interface type. I just mean that those can be just plain simple contacts. I mean a large number of small switches on some kind of mounting board to keep them organized and controlled to switch on or off by an attached interface of some kind. More like what nazianime suggested. Thanks for the right search term.

No, I was talking about the actual controlled terminals, not the computer interface type. I just mean that those can be just plain simple contacts. I mean a large number of small switches on some kind of mounting board to keep them organized and controlled to switch on or off by an attached interface of some kind. More like what nazianime suggested. Thanks for the right search term.

If you don't really need too much power, you could buy triacs, pretty easy to make circuits for them. The lifetime is more than a relay in my experience, and they're smaller.

Yeah then you definitely want to learn about relays and how to switch them on/off from an arduino. If it's low voltage, like 5V or less (like the audio signal from a stereo unit), you can use "signal relays", which are much smaller and can be put on a breadboard. They look like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6
Back