Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Buying an old, used laptop

celery

celery

Autismcel emeritus
-
A friend of mine is selling an ASUS ROG G73SW. Special price for me is 1500 SEK which is about 150 Euro or $170. This laptop is almost 9 years old and the battery is fucked. I'm on swedish NEET-bux so 1500 SEK is a lot for me but I could really use a laptop... Should I try to haggle the price down -50%? This could make my friend insulted. And I've seen the same laptop listed on EBay for like 200+ Euro. Or should I just not bother?

I have a desktop computer with 3 generations more recent graphics (GeForce 1030 which is Pascal architecture vs Fermi mobile on the laptop. 14 nm vs. 40 nm), SSD and 24 GB RAM, but I was thinking I could use the laptop for LDAR youtubing and light gaming. I wonder how much extra money I have to cash out for a new battery and maybe an SSD for the OS... I'm thinking a 64 or 128 GB SSD might suffice.

Last edited:
Can you find a better deal? The dead battery kills it as a laptop. Why do you want a new laptop?

Can you find a better deal?

Yeah, I think I could bid 1000 SEK which is -50%.

The dead battery kills it as a laptop. Why do you want a new laptop?

Not really, I'll mainly use the laptop on AC power when I LDAR. I use my phone for mobile communication. Also, I could probably find a cheap ass battery online.

Why do I want a new laptop? Well I don't. This machine is 9 years old.

Last edited:
New as in new to you. You can get a better laptop if you tell me what you want. I suggest thinkpads.

New as in new to you. You can get a better laptop if you tell me what you want. I suggest thinkpads.

Okay. My requirements are:

1) Must be able to play Youtube vids with h/w acceleration.
2) I need to be able to play retro & indie games smoothly.
3) Linux support for all the h/w and firmware.
4) Non-shitty wifi.

In my opinion it´s worth it. But I dont live in sweden, and the market dictates the price.

Sandy bridge is still modern. It lacks some instruction sets on the cpu compared to 14+++ nm cpus, but that is only noticable in certain modern titles. If u just LDAR CS-go, and Dota2 this will do. Fermi is hot but still capable.

Hell im still using x58 with a Westmere Xeon from 2011 and its still kicking ass. Everything in the core series from Intel was great.

4) Non-shitty wifi.

1. It will not do that. Only certain Maxwell cards like the 960 has VP9 hardware support. But sofware decoding is fine on that cpu.
2. It will do that.
3. Yes, full support.
4. Depends on adapter chipset.

In my opinion it´s worth it. But I dont live in sweden, and the market dictates the price.

Sandy bridge is still modern. It lacks some instruction sets on the cpu compared to 14+++ nm cpus, but that is only noticable in certain modern titles. If u just LDAR CS-go, and Dota2 this will do. Fermi is hot but still capable.

Hell im still using x58 with a Westmere Xeon from 2011 and its still kicking ass. Everything in the core series from Intel was great.

1. It will not do that. Only certain Maxwell cards like the 960 has VP9 hardware support. But sofware decoding is fine on that cpu.
2. It will do that.
3. Yes, full support.
4. Depends on adapter chipset.

1 is negotiable so this deal is still worth it for me. I have helped this guy with a lot of things and besides he is relatively affluent so I could probably haggle the price down 25-50%.

You also a linuxcel?

Then it would be a great buy imo. Sandy Bridge was a huge leap compared to 1366.

How much Ram is installed?

Looks quite nice tbh. Go for it.

Then it would be a great buy imo. Sandy Bridge was a huge leap compared to 1366.

How much Ram is installed?

I think it has 2 4GB which is a bit on the low side, especially compared to my desktop computer with 24 GB. :D I could probably roll with 2 4GB just fine.
Looks quite nice tbh. Go for it.

Cool, thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
2GB will be painful. It could max after a few chrome tabs and some multitasking. Linux could also max, modern web browsers are ram-hogs.

You can buy some cheap ddr3 ram on aliexpress. Ram has fallen in price the last few months.

I really think I'm going to take him up on this offer. I will require one month of testing just to make sure I can get linux running smoothly on the h/w and, preferably, RimWorld 1.0 native in linux.

The problem is that I'd really want an SSD. But a 64 GB SSD would probably suffice.
2GB will be painful. It could max after a few chrome tabs and some multitasking. Linux could also max, modern web browsers are ram-hogs.

You can buy some cheap ddr3 ram on aliexpress. Ram has fallen in price the last few months.

Yeah, but like I corrected I think it has 4GB. If it only has 2GB I will require a 50% rebate.

Yeah, I think I could bid 1000 SEK which is -50%.

Not really, I'll mainly use the laptop on AC power when I LDAR. I use my phone for mobile communication. Also, I could probably find a cheap ass battery online.

Why do I want a new laptop? Well I don't. This machine is 9 years old.
Yeah u can find online new one easily.

And I7 is always good...i bet windows 10 runs decently if u have ssd.

It could max after a few chrome tabs and some multitasking. Linux could also max, modern web browsers are ram-hogs.

Sigh. I know. I use Chrome on linux daily. You still didn't answer my q, are you linuxcel? :D
Yeah u can find online new one easily.

And I7 is always good...i bet windows 10 runs decently if u have ssd.

i7 is a nice processor. Not gonna run W10 on the machine tho.

Sigh. I know. I use Chrome on linux daily. You still didn't answer my q, are you linuxcel? :D

Yes, debiancel :) Also windowscel for gaming. But my pentium 4 netburst spaceheater laptop is only for lubuntu.

Yes, debiancel :) Also windowscel for gaming. But my pentium 4 netburst spaceheater laptop is only for lubuntu.

I quad boot Arch Linux, Windows 7 (because 10 is telemetry cancer), Ubuntu LTS and Fedora. :D

I really need Arch for the bleeding edge. Debian stable (and Ubuntu) is just so far behind.

Last edited:
i think there are much better deals out there tbh

"Btw, I use arch" :)

I use windows 10 ltsb with only basic telemetry.

try a lenovo thinkpad

try a lenovo thinkpad

Yeah, I could really use one of those. Quality laptop ngl. But as it is I'm interested in a friend's offer for a lower price because I'm brokecel.

4) Non-shitty wifi.
1. Modern Intel processor do this
2. You won't need much more than a cheap new computer.
3. Thinkpad has great support for this.
4.. Pretty common, most are not shitty.

Try reddit.com/r/thinkpad I shill for the brand a lot, but ubuntu and centOS just works. Form factor and replacable parts will ensure you won't need to replace the laptop soon as well.

1. Modern Intel processor do this
2. You won't need much more than a cheap new computer.
3. Thinkpad has great support for this.
4.. Pretty common, most are not shitty.

Try reddit.com/r/thinkpad I shill for the brand a lot, but ubuntu and centOS just works. Form factor and replacable parts will ensure you won't need to replace the laptop soon as well.

I get that. But this criminal friend of mine has an ASUS he wants to sell, not a Thinkpad. :D

I get that. But this criminal friend of mine has an ASUS he wants to sell, not a Thinkpad. :D
That laptop sucks its too heavy and also not comfy. Go on ebay to find cheaper better deals. 12-14in laptops are comfier.

That laptop sucks its too heavy and also not comfy. Go on ebay to find cheaper better deals. 12-14in laptops are comfier.

Thing is tho, he's my "mate" so I could probably get a huge rebate.

Thing is tho, he's my "mate" so I could probably get a huge rebate.
Up to you. I really like small laptops and I've gotten cheap laptops from online a lot. My laptop was $120 and way better than that one, almost brand new even had 2 batteries.

I just think that not much has happened in the semiconductor industry the last 10 years. There is not much point in buying modern silicone. Intel beeing stuck at 14 nm since 2016. Nahelem was the great leap in 2008, and Sandy Bridge was a serious improvement in power consumption in 2011. After that nothing has happened.

Only two process shrinkage reductions. Ivy bridge with 22nm in 2012, Skylake on 14 nm in 2016, and still we are at 14nm.

I´m still on a motherboard from 2009 with a 32 nm processor. It´s super fast. When you bought computers in the late 1990´s and early 2000´s they were outdated in a year or two. Now silicone development has hit a wall.

I just think that not much has happened in the semiconductor industry the last 10 years. There is not much point in buying modern silicone

I agree. We have basically reached peak computational sand.

I just think that not much has happened in the semiconductor industry the last 10 years. There is not much point in buying modern silicone. Intel beeing stuck at 14 nm since 2016. Nahelem was the great leap in 2008, and Sandy Bridge was a serious improvement in power consumption in 2011. After that nothing has happened.

Only two process shrinkage reductions. Ivy bridge with 22nm in 2012, Skylake on 14 nm in 2016, and still we are at 14nm.

I´m still on a motherboard from 2009 with a 32 nm processor. It´s super fast. When you bought computers in the late 1990´s and early 2000´s they were outdated in a year or two. Now silicone development has hit a wall.
Are you retarded? Ryzen happened, 7nm is coming out this year. I agree that its not much better for general usage, but my battery life went from 2hr to 10hr with less cells. You meant haswell not sandy bridge right?

Last edited:
Are you retarded? Ryzen happened, 7nm is coming out this year. I agree that its not much better for general usage, but my battery life went from 2hr to 10hr with less cells.

Yes, this is what is happening. Longer battery life instead of better performance. Not such a bad trade off if you ask me

Yes, this is what is happening. Longer battery life instead of better performance. Not such a bad trade off if you ask me
1st generation was haswell and it was the same, but broadwell and up it was better performance. If you buy for performance, you will be happy with modern ryzen 3, its got an APU and you don't need gfx cards anymore. Maybe all you need for 10x+ years.

Ryzen was a failure. AMD have always played second fiddle. Glued processors cores and high intercore latency. At best broadwell IPC in certain apps, but in games somewhere around Ivy Bridge IPC. And low clock speeds.

People who buy AMD are retarded.

AMD is a scam company. Remember the marketing when buldozer was launched?

Everybody hypes 7 nm as the next coming of Christ. Just as they did before bulldozer and ryzen. TSMC 7nm is equal to Intel 10 nm. AMD doesn´t even have their own fabs exept for the crappy 14nm amd process.

Ryzen was a failure. AMD have always played second fiddle. Glued processors cores and high intercore latency. At best broadwell IPC in certain apps, but in games somewhere around Ivy Bridge IPC. And low clock speeds.

People who buy AMD are retarded.

AMD is a scam company. Remember the marketing when buldozer was launched?

Everybody hypes 7 nm as the next coming of Christ. Just as they did before bulldozer and ryzen. TSMC 7nm is equal to Intel 10 nm. AMD doesn´t even have their own fabs exept for the crappy 14nm amd process.

This is hyperbole. It's not as bad as all that.

I promise you, bulldozer was bad. Worse IPC than Phenom II. What company produce a chip several years after Phenom II that has worse IPC?

I promise you, bulldozer was bad. Worse IPC than Phenom II. What company produce a chip several years after Phenom II that has worse IPC?

Yeah, no. That's like 2012 tech.

Intel beeing stuck at 14 nm since 2016. After that nothing has happened.

Ryzen was a failure. AMD have always played second fiddle.
Wow you are retarded

Now, now. Don't start fighting guys.
Honesty shilltel fags are so stupid. Ryzen 3 gives a GPU that will work for most games, and a better CPU at $100. He contradicts himself and also tries so hard to be smart, but is retarded, complaining about being stuck at 14nm then says 7nm is shit just because hes an intel shill. Nothing wrong with intel if you don't buy new, but its definitely way better than it was at 2011. Hes just coping because he doesn't have money for new tech from intel and even too poor to afford AMD.

Silicone has hit a wall. It allowed AMD to catch up. But what did AMD do?

They launched Ryzen in 2017, dependent on high speed RAM. Clock speeds were low with IPC equivalent to a 2012-2014 Intel CPU with no room for overclocking.

Clockspeed and IPC is king. To bad you and your AMD-cpu will never experience that.

I just feel bad for people who buy a product that is subpar. The best thing would be to let AMD go bankrupt so that Samsung or some other semiconductor company could buy their x86 and amd64 licence so there would be actual competition.

Pentium 4 was not as good as Athlon 64 but that was also the last time AMD was able to beat Intel. I still use that Pentium 4 laptop for linux projects.

I just feel bad for people who buy a product that is subpar. The best thing would be to let AMD go bankrupt so that Samsung or some other semiconductor company could buy their x86 and amd64 licence so there would be actual competition.

Pentium 4 was not as good as Athlon 64 but that was also the last time AMD was able to beat Intel. I still use that Pentium 4 laptop for linux projects.

This just cope my fren! I get where you're coming from tho.
Honesty shilltel fags are so stupid. Ryzen 3 gives a GPU that will work for most games, and a better CPU at $100. He contradicts himself and also tries so hard to be smart, but is retarded, complaining about being stuck at 14nm then says 7nm is shit just because hes an intel shill. Nothing wrong with intel if you don't buy new, but its definitely way better than it was at 2011. Hes just coping because he doesn't have money for new tech from intel and even too poor to afford AMD.

Just give the guy a break will ya

You're coping so hard lol its so funny to see the shintel corelets. AMD beat intel, ARM is going to wreck intel too. Both are losing to arm eventually.

@celery, you shouldn't but a used gaming laptop though. Its shit. It will probably break on you soon.

We will see. ARM doesn´t have x86 licences so it will not be an easy fight for the desktop and laptop markets.

I don't see any reason why we need x86 for general purpose. Most people use ARM from their smartphones most of the time anyways. x86 is going to be only used for games and academics processing along with most graphics cards. Only reason I want a new one is for machine learning now. Still, I think you are being too harsh on AMD. I don't get why you hate on it so much. Intel sold xscale so they don't have ARM either and their neural networks processor may save them but it won't be for a very long time, plus it requires documentation.

I don't see any reason why we need x86 for general purpose. Most people use ARM from their smartphones most of the time anyways. x86 is going to be only used for games and academics processing along with most graphics cards. Only reason I want a new one is for machine learning now. Still, I think you are being too harsh on AMD. I don't get why you hate on it so much. Intel sold xscale so they don't have ARM either and their neural networks processor may save them but it won't be for a very long time, plus it requires documentation.

x86 is just legacy

I dislike AMD because they didn´t effectively compete with Intel. AMD is the reason why Intel could overcharge customers for all those years. Bulldozer and Piledriver were never competitive.

AMD´s weakness is also obvious in the GPU market competing with NVIDIA.

If AMD had went bankrupt during the bulldozer days, they would have to sell the amd64/x86 licence to a competitor. Like Samsung. Then Intel would have a large and resourceful competitor. And who knows how many cores and transistors we would get pr $ in such a scenario.

If AMD had went bankrupt during the bulldozer days, they would have to sell the amd64/x86 licence to a competitor. Like Samsung. Then Intel would have a large and resourceful competitor. And who knows how many cores and transistors we would get pr $ in such a scenario.

Hi IQ comment.