Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Anyone of you here read the American Psycho book?

thespanishcel

thespanishcel

Overlord
★★★★★
images

I did it long ago and so much better than the movie tbh. I remember liking it a lot, not sure if it was because I was 16 or if it's because it's a genuinely good book. The movie doesn't do it justice and those who think it's a good movie are just kid and teen filmbros who unironically believe in sigma male sheit and love Patrick Bateman memes (literal Chad worship).

Many readers disliked that the book is very descriptive and the author focuses too much on what brand of each piece clothing the characters are wearing, but I think that's a great way of showing how shallow and materialistic the main character is. There are also three chapters which are essays on music groups, these add nothing to the plot but were interesting too and didn't feel like a chore.

Also the book is much more violent, graphic and disgusting than the movie. It's so over the top that it's funny too in a dark humored and twisted way, definitely this book would be giga cancelled if it was written nowadays. There are a few details or scenes that I still remember almost 8 years later. Will put them in spoiler in case someone wants to read the book:
  • In the movie Patrick Bateman just stabs the hobo and kills his dog. In the book he rips his eyes out and slashes his nose with a knife but doesn't kill him, also he steps on the dog but it survives too. Later he meets the guy again begging but just scares him off.
  • He meets a gay guy with a sharpei dog, he's irritated by flamboyant way the guy speaks (and how he also tries to flirt with him) so he disembowels the dog in front of him and then kills the owner.
  • He kills a child in the zoo sliting his throat
  • There's a scene where he does the rat torture on a foid
  • He recalls raping the housemaid at 14
  • He's much more racist in the book saying "nigger" tons of times (I guess, because I read a translation and he said the equivalent in Spanish)

Overall good read if you don't mind long descriptions on designer brands and pop culture references to the 80s and 90s. Much much better than the movie.

I read a bit but changed the letter size for another book on the app i was reading which fucked up american psycho so i dropped it

i read the first 90 pages then stopped then read the first 40 pages then stopped i need to finish it

i read the first 90 pages then stopped then read the first 40 pages then stopped i need to finish it
Did it bore you because it was too descriptive, were you too busy to read or any other reason? Genuinely interested tbh.

I never read the book.

And as for the movie tbh I never understood why it was liked by so many of us, the story is literally about a richfag chad

Did it bore you because it was too descriptive, were you too busy to read or any other reason? Genuinely interested tbh.
i just forgot about it and got busy with other stuff it was funny i liked it i remember he drops coins in what he thought was a cute homeless girl's styrofoam cup but it turned out that was her coffee and she was a columbia student :feelshaha:

I never read the book.

And as for the movie tbh I never understood why it was liked by so many of us, the story is literally about a richfag chad
The movie is very toned down and is not even a very good movie, just your average book adaptation. Agreed it's Chad worshipping and all the fucking Patrick Bateman memes I hate them aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

When Sports came out in '83......

I never read the book.

Always hated the normie fixation on this movie tbh

Did you watch the movie or read the book first?

images

I did it long ago and so much better than the movie tbh. I remember liking it a lot, not sure if it was because I was 16 or if it's because it's a genuinely good book. The movie doesn't do it justice and those who think it's a good movie are just kid and teen filmbros who unironically believe in sigma male sheit and love Patrick Bateman memes (literal Chad worship).

Many readers disliked that the book is very descriptive and the author focuses too much on what brand of each piece clothing the characters are wearing, but I think that's a great way of showing how shallow and materialistic the main character is. There are also three chapters which are essays on music groups, these add nothing to the plot but were interesting too and didn't feel like a chore.

Also the book is much more violent, graphic and disgusting than the movie. It's so over the top that it's funny too in a dark humored and twisted way, definitely this book would be giga cancelled if it was written nowadays. There are a few details or scenes that I still remember almost 8 years later. Will put them in spoiler in case someone wants to read the book:
  • In the movie Patrick Bateman just stabs the hobo and kills his dog. In the book he rips his eyes out and slashes his nose with a knife but doesn't kill him, also he steps on the dog but it survives too. Later he meets the guy again begging but just scares him off.
  • He meets a gay guy with a sharpei dog, he's irritated by flamboyant way the guy speaks (and how he also tries to flirt with him) so he disembowels the dog in front of him and then kills the owner.
  • He kills a child in the zoo sliting his throat
  • There's a scene where he does the rat torture on a foid
  • He recalls raping the housemaid at 14
  • He's much more racist in the book saying "nigger" tons of times (I guess, because I read a translation and he said the equivalent in Spanish)

Overall good read if you don't mind long descriptions on designer brands and pop culture references to the 80s and 90s. Much much better than the movie.
No lie was said here. Only issue I have is the odd ending.

I have watched the movie. I will probably read the book.

Read the first few pages then dropped because of my ADHD ass brain unable to focus.

I dropped it after reading 40-ish pages because it didn’t stray too far from its adaptation.