Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Experiment Anyone interested in language facts?

FinnCel

FinnCel

Alcoholcel
★★★★★
I'm thinking of starting to write a weekly (new) topic that describes an interesting feature of different languages.

You might even be surprised when reading because you never thought of your language being different.

Here's an example of a topic I'd write:

The English spelling is inconsistent because it is written like it was spoken hundreds of years ago.
In most languages, people write like they speak. For example, in Finnish, one letter is one sound.
In English, one letter can represent multiple different sounds which makes no sense on the surface.

The reason why English has never been updated is because there is no institution for regulating the written language. When printing became widespread, the way words were written got stuck in time while the spoken language continued changing.

Last edited:
Moi mita kulluu. Kitos joulupukki :feelstrash:

Yeah sure I like interesting trivia

The English spelling is inconsistent because it is written like it was spoken hundreds of years ago.
In most languages, people write like they speak. For example, in Finnish, one letter is one sound.
In English, one letter can represent multiple different sounds which makes no sense on the surface.

The reason why English has never been updated is because there is no institution for regulating the written language. When printing became widespread, the way words were written got stuck in time while the spoken language continued changing.
Ohh, right, that makes sense

Sure, the origins and various facets of language interest me

It sounds cool. I was always interested in stuff like this.

I think I heard something similar to that. English has so many dialects is very spread out while there's no governing body like the Académie Français or RdR. I think it was German or Greek that had a large orthography reform in the recent past while English had nothing.

yes bro i like learning new languages

Please do this and @ me every time you do

Back when I was kid I didn't question anything and just learned English with "It is how it is" attitude, but now I am wondering why has no one fixed the English writing in the year of our lord 2019? Its fucking embarrassing that there are still silent letters and random pronunciation.
Tsukihi7