Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

It's Over Anyone else no longer relate to anime?

SuperMario64DS

SuperMario64DS

Prisoner
★★
I'm coming near the end of my early 20s, and I see characters in anime who are 5-7 years younger than me. I can no longer really say that I relate to the protagonists in the same way I once did.

It's so weird, because there are things that are outside my demographic that I still like. Like I totally still like Pokemon, despite the characters being like 10 years old, and I still like things like Sonic, despite Sonic being like 13 - 15 years old.

It's just that a lot of anime invokes some degree of realism, and as such, that realism gets to me and doesn't click with me anymore.

There are some I relate to still - again, Neon Genesis Evangelion was wonderful despite the main character being 14, and I related to the experiences of Shinji with my own teenage years. It really helped me at the time I watched it (which was like a year ago). I relate to Konosuba just because of how meta it is, and it's clear that despite the protagonist being a 17 year old, the target demographic is for geeks, not necessarily a specific age demographic. Generic ones as well like Pokemon I still relate to as well.

Besides these, all these animes which have some realism, when all I see are these high school, college demographic animes, particularly ones that involve romance, I just don't relate to them anymore. I feel like I've grown past them and in fact, I kind of feel depressed watching them because I know they aren't representative of reality for most people.

I even feel weird participating in these communities. When I join a community for something like Konosuba or Neon Genesis Evangelion in some way, I feel like I don't belong because I'm surrounded by kids who are 3-7 years younger than me.

I feel like the universe has mandated me to finally grow up and let go of things like this, that I legitimately enjoy and were a source of real happiness and comfort for me as a cope. But again, they were a source of comfort for me and a source of community for me, and it makes me sad that I feel like I can't enjoy them anymore.

It makes me sad.

Last edited:
I’ve always avoided any coming of age fiction like the plague. 9 times out of 10 it’s guaranteed brutality

I’ve always avoided any coming of age fiction like the plague. 9 times out of 10 it’s guaranteed brutality
I feel like almost all fiction involves coming of age. FFS, Disney's "Fox and the Hound" and "Lion King" are Coming of Age stories.

I feel like almost all fiction involves coming of age. FFS, Disney's "Fox and the Hound" and "Lion King" are Coming of Age stories.
I meant more so coming of age films involving teen love, which Edmund was discussing in his recent post. My bluepilled Gen X parents made me sit through a bunch of extremely brutal ones when I was growing up, never liked them even before I became blackpilled

I dont think i have watched enough anime yet to have run into that problem

I cant relate to anime too, but not because of age. The characters are interesting, they lead lives of adventure. They live in a world of excitement and possibilities. They are the handsome protagonist with the beautiful girlfriend. They are happy, and they are living for something.
And what about us? How can anyone look at that and self insert, use it as escapism instead of just being brutally blackpilled and humiliated by what could never be in real life? It is impossible to reconcile the differences between such media and my disparate life.

I stopped watching anime a while ago because it genuinely started to depress me. These people in this made up fantastic world were living the life and each day was more magical than the last, there was love, adventure, and joy and happiness. I could and still can not relate to any of it so I had to let it go, because after each episode ended I’d look back on myself and how lonely and broken I am. If I were to kill myself it would definitely be after watching an anime

I know a lot of normie retards and weebs like to watch anime as an escape or act like real life is like anime. But it does not do that for me, my life isn’t full of friends and love, just pain.

Last edited:
I never watched slice of life/romance anime.

I watch anime with hot foids in school uniform or other sexy outfits killing people and monster, eventuall culminating in philosophical discussions about morality, god, religion, Karma.etc.
Kill La Kill, Akame Ga Kill, Blood-C/Blood +, Shikabane HIme.etc

Let's not forget the majority of slice of life anime take place in SCHOOL. Like what the fk

Sound like you are watching shitty anime with normie tier characters

I only ever watched pokemon an even that was about 20 years ago

I'm coming near the end of my early 20s, and I see characters in anime who are 5-7 years younger than me. I can no longer really say that I relate to the protagonists in the same way I once did.

It's so weird, because there are things that are outside my demographic that I still like. Like I totally still like Pokemon, despite the characters being like 10 years old, and I still like things like Sonic, despite Sonic being like 13 - 15 years old.

It's just that a lot of anime invokes some degree of realism, and as such, that realism gets to me and doesn't click with me anymore.

There are some I relate to still - again, Neon Genesis Evangelion was wonderful despite the main character being 14, and I related to the experiences of Shinji with my own teenage years. It really helped me at the time I watched it (which was like a year ago). I relate to Konosuba just because of how meta it is, and it's clear that despite the protagonist being a 17 year old, the target demographic is for geeks, not necessarily a specific age demographic. Generic ones as well like Pokemon I still relate to as well.

Besides these, all these animes which have some realism, when all I see are these high school, college demographic animes, particularly ones that involve romance, I just don't relate to them anymore. I feel like I've grown past them and in fact, I kind of feel depressed watching them because I know they aren't representative of reality for most people.

I even feel weird participating in these communities. When I join a community for something like Konosuba or Neon Genesis Evangelion in some way, I feel like I don't belong because I'm surrounded by kids who are 3-7 years younger than me.

I feel like the universe has mandated me to finally grow up and let go of things like this, that I legitimately enjoy and were a source of real happiness and comfort for me as a cope. But again, they were a source of comfort for me and a source of community for me, and it makes me sad that I feel like I can't enjoy them anymore.

It makes me sad.
Idk man but most anime is shit anyway

I used to watch naruto. I could relate to him as the dead last who had to work his way up. But then when shippuden ended he became a chad which obviously I couldn’t relate to.

The anime character I was able to relate to the most was probably Ash from pokemon. Then comes the main heroine from Sailor Moon. Pretty much the only two anime I've watched in my life.

Last edited:
All the heroes are still in school & can do what adults cannot while a 28 year old is considered old as fuck lol.

I never did, for some reason I can´t click with anime

I don't really feel like I've aged at all over the past 10 years, my body is a bit older, but many teenagers have way more social experience than me. Maybe it's just because I don't feel much attachment to my body, or really much of what is around me in general. The things that are meaningful to me happen within a permanent space I created inside my mind, or they occur on my computer.
Tbh i would just avoid those places, too many normies. It's hard for me to relate to the members of most online communities, so I know what you mean in a way.

I only watched anime of this kind twice (yojouhan shinwa taikei and nhk ni youkoso)
now I want to avoid watching things like that tbh, too brutal for subhumans.

Last edited:
Never related to anime tbh

I meant more so coming of age films involving teen love, which Edmund was discussing in his recent post. My bluepilled Gen X parents made me sit through a bunch of extremely brutal ones when I was growing up, never liked them even before I became blackpilled
tbh feel like writing blackpilled coming of age shit. There’s a theatre club in my school so enough luck I can get them to do it.

You're watching 15-16 year olds achieve more in one year than you have achieved in your entire life.

Why would you do that?

I see characters in anime who are 5-7 years younger than me.
I can no longer really say that I relate to the protagonists in the same way I once did.
It's cope to think you could ever truly relate to them, because protagonists inevitably get adventures/harem and stuff that we just never got, regardless of having been around the same age when we first got involved in watching.

I mean seriously, give me some examples of series/protags you used to feel you could relate to, I'll dissect it

I never cared much for Japanese cartoons. Watched some basic bitch Pokemon, Crayon Shin-chan and DBZ as a boy, saw Ghost in the Shell, Akira, half a dozen Miyazaki films and then I was done with it, even before my teenage years were over.

tenor.gif

In retrospect I wish I was as low inhibmaxxed and darktriadmaxxed as Shin-chan.

Last edited:
You've entered your boomer stage. Its time to finally start enjoying hookers and stripclubs.

I can't relate to any anime that has romance, never been able too. Really ruins the immersion and cope.
We need incel anime.
I always wanted to create a manga but I have no talent for drawing. Maybe I can find some guy to the drawing for me one day.

Its going to be in a high school setting but it will have nothing but brutal blackpills. It will covers themes and topics such as social hierarchy, inherent talent and the unfairness of it, the importance of your background, how worthless the average person is, bullying etc.

And it will be seinen coz I don't want to censor my stuff to pander to some bluepilled simps who cannot handle the fact they are nothing and will be nothing in the future unless they have some special talent.

The worst part is the protagonists still loses at the end no matter how hard he tries. He has finally realized the blackpill will force you to swallow it no matter what you do.

Last edited:

I relate to this problem as well and its one of the reasons why I stopped using discord like 2 or 3 years ago, 99% of the time Im the oldest user and I just feel like a creep

The worst is I have nothing else to move on to

Ive been trying to selfstudymaxx 1 hour/day but I just feel like I have no purpose or direction in life anymore

It's cope to think you could ever truly relate to them, because protagonists inevitably get adventures/harem and stuff that we just never got, regardless of having been around the same age when we first got involved in watching.

I mean seriously, give me some examples of series/protags you used to feel you could relate to, I'll dissect it

Yeah but escapism worked because I was the same age, and the anime series often had "self-insert" geek protags that I could relate to.

I don't relate to the "self-insert" geek protags anymore.
I relate to this problem as well and its one of the reasons why I stopped using discord like 2 or 3 years ago, 99% of the time Im the oldest user and I just feel like a creep

Ikr. In a lot of communities I've been ridiculed because they can tell that I'm older.

I think this is why Capeshit is still so popular while Anime is for most part still Niche.

At least Captain America, Iron Man etc are all fully grown men. Hell Tony Stark is 48 years old ffs!

So manchilden over 30 have no problem watching them saying this could still be me!

In contrast most main characters of anime are teenagers.

The only popular series I can think of where the main chracters are old is DBZ.

Goku and Vegeta are in their 40s and even have famillies lol. No wonder that shit is so popular !

I try no to relate to them, I just use them as pure escapism to pretend to be someone people like and girls fall for

Never could tbh, perhaps because I'm heterosexual

Only animes I really watch are Death Note, Jojo, and Attack on Titan tbh. I also read all of Berserk

I always wanted to create a manga but I have no talent for drawing. Maybe I can find some guy to the drawing for me one day.

Its going to be in a high school setting but it will have nothing but brutal blackpills. It will covers themes and topics such as social hierarchy, inherent talent and the unfairness of it, the importance of your background, how worthless the average person is, bullying etc.

And it will be seinen coz I don't want to censor my stuff to pander to some bluepilled simps who cannot handle the fact they are nothing and will be nothing in the future unless they have some special talent.

The worst part is the protagonists still loses at the end no matter how hard he tries. He has finally realized the blackpill will force you to swallow it no matter what you do.
As long as there is no happy ending.
Only thing close to a blackpill like manga/anime I know is NHK or Oregairu, but both have somewhat happy endings in the end for the male protagonist. Not to mention somehow, the story always pushes them into a spot where they get to interact with attractive females. Its just not realistic for females to be attracted to an average male just cause they are a 'good person at heart'.

Goku and Vegeta are in their 40s and even have famillies lol. No wonder that shit is so popular !
DBZ now is just escapism for young boomers. :lul:

movies and all media is getting pretty useless.

the more time passes. the more i realize i'll have nothing from that life.

"Lion King" are Coming of Age stories.
i don't know why but when Simba started fucking his cousin is when i'd always cover myself with a blanket and turn off the lights
kind of crazy Disney didnt mind showing cousins licking each other

ikr it's not the same

can't imagine how these japanese oldcels keep coping with this years after they since they graduated from HS.

The only popular series I can think of where the main chracters are old is DBZ.

How the fuck are Goku and Vegeta relatable though? They're born with genetic superiority, muscled, get lots of sex, etc

Virgin teenagers are much easier to relate to to me.

Obviously stuff like Welcome to the NHK is easier to relate to than Negima but they can't all be NHK since we need new plots all the time.

Who cares about popular?

If you want an adult star try Golgo 13 or Monster.

Good luck relating to either thoguh because you're not a jacked sniper or a physician hunting a serial killer.

Go watch Legend of Galactic Heroes but good luck relating if you're not a soldier of a space army.

I mean fuck HS, go watch Hanada Shounen She about a bald elementary schooler who sees dead people.

Go watch something without a male protagonist at all, watch one starring lolis or some shit.

I can relate to Keroberos from Cardcaptors because he constantly has blue balls for lolis.

I'm 30 and I still relate cause most anime characters behave in a more a more mature way than teenagers.

most anime characters behave in a more a more mature way than teenagers.
I don't agree, you have tunnel vision where you selectively remember your most favorite characters who are more mature.

The vast majority of NPCs don't discernably act better as far as we know.