Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Incels.is Book Club

If you're interested, which book do you think we should read first?

• Kingdom of Fear (Thompson, 2003)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whatever (Houellebecq, 1994)

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • The Tartar Steppe (Buzzati, 1940)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Hunger (Hamsun, 1890)

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Thus Spake Zarathustra (Nietzsche, 1883-1892)

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Notes From the Underground (Dostoevsky, 1864)

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Don Quixote (Cervantes, 1605-1615)

• Divine Comedy (Alighieri, 1472)

• Discourses of Epictetus (Arrian, 2nd century)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Republic (Plato, c. 375 BC)

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
db-bchr-iv

db-bchr-iv

The tiny evil demon on your left shoulder
★★
Would you guys be interested in starting a book club?

The idea is to make a thread for a specific poll-determined book and set a goal to read ~100 pages a week, then discuss those pages in the thread (nothing further to avoid spoilers).

Free pdfs of most published English-language books can be found over at https://libgen.rs/

(P.S. to mods: This would differ from "A Thread for Books" since it has a specific book to read and discuss. However, if you feel it's redundant, feel free to remove this thread)

Last edited:
I have read some of these.

You should make a discord server to hold vc discussions about the books.

Don Quixote obviously.

Don Quixote obviously.
It's so long though. It would take ten weeks or more to read it given the pages-per-week criteria.

Yes.

'100 pages a week' is a joke and should be changed. It's not like the majority of us here are doing anything productive, let alone the average normgroid. We can handle more.
100 a day.

Bump, I'm really fond of this proposition.

reddit GIF

Many cool choices:feelsokman: I voted for Epictetus, but I get that most of you will think Stoicism is cope.

I've been wanting to get into reading, specifically philosophy, but the literary world seems extremely daunting, and I have no idea where the best place to start is. And to be really honest, reading doesn't seem like the most enjoyable way to spend my time (ironic, since I literally have all the time in the world jfl), even though it can improve your capacity for critical thought and broaden your knowledge—very valuable things that are becoming increasingly less common nowadays. Putting all of my whining about my incessant procrastination aside, this book club idea might be the perfect start for me to get into the habit.

Fun fantasy books: The Maze Runner series, The Hunger Games, Gone series

If you like survival and thriller action.

so houllebecq is an essential author for incels

We read a passage of Siege every day

INKLERS BOOK CLUB NAO

INKLERS BOOK CLUB NAO
Think I'll end the poll early and just start the first thread if the vote count stays at 22 for another four hours.

This is a great idea. Though I think that instead of pages being a target it should be chapters. I have a kindle and it doesn’t track individual pages in the book.

Fun fantasy books: The Maze Runner series, The Hunger Games, Gone series

If you like survival and thriller action.
Read all those books in elementary school. Especially loved the maze runner series. The 4th book had good romance and it made me sad even back then.

you got the wrong date for the divine comedy :feelshmm:

After looking into Whatever, it definitely has to be our first.

Can we start with a short story for the first Book Club thread to get people warmed up and used to the idea? I suggest White Nights by Dostoevsky. Synopsis from wikipedia with spoiler removed:
Like many of Dostoevsky's stories, "White Nights" is told in the first person by a nameless narrator. The narrator is a young man living in Saint Petersburg who suffers from loneliness. He gets to know and falls in love with a young woman [snip]

Can we start with a short story for the first Book Club thread to get people warmed up and used to the idea? I suggest White Nights by Dostoevsky. Synopsis from wikipedia with spoiler removed:
I've thought of including a different short story each week as optional supplementary reading. But I think it'd be a waste of a first edition to dedicate it entirely to short stories.

Would you guys be interested in starting a book club?

The idea is to make a thread for a specific poll-determined book and set a goal to read ~100 pages a week, then discuss those pages in the thread (nothing further to avoid spoilers).

Free pdfs of most published English-language books can be found over at https://libgen.rs/

(P.S. to mods: This would differ from "A Thread for Books" since it has a specific book to read and discuss. However, if you feel it's redundant, feel free to remove this thread)
Absolutely I'm all for starting a server in order to preserve these books I own over 10,000 PDF file books myself

I've been wanting to get into reading, specifically philosophy, but the literary world seems extremely daunting, and I have no idea where the best place to start is. And to be really honest, reading doesn't seem like the most enjoyable way to spend my time (ironic, since I literally have all the time in the world jfl), even though it can improve your capacity for critical thought and broaden your knowledge—very valuable things that are becoming increasingly less common nowadays. Putting all of my whining about my incessant procrastination aside, this book club idea might be the perfect start for me to get into the habit.
I think its a really nice hobby to have given that we live in an era, where instant gratification forms of entertainment are preferred. Sometimes our brains need a break from the dopamine overload. Certainly a good way for recluses like myself to spend their time as well. Anyways, if you want to get into philosophy, then I’d say Plato’s Republic (the suggestion in this thread) is actually a pretty solid option. Its a less dense text, due it being written as a dialogue between characters, and its easier to digest as a result imo and the concepts (like his theory of forms) aren’t too difficult to grasp.

Nerd trait to read books. We aren’t nerds and we are jocks.

Thus Spake Zarathustra (Nietzsche, 1883-1892)

Yes, I'd be interested. Can we make a chat room in the chat section of the website for this purpose?