Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Venting YouTube "Meditation" videos

blond_elf_bard

blond_elf_bard

Major
★★
I see these, and I'm a bit skeptical. I try a few, sitting in my best lotus position and looking at the laptop fullscreen, and...

Some a bit jarring. Many of these videos will, for instance, feature a very wide array of environments in which to meditate. Living in Florida, perhaps I may want to try watching arctic mountains, but these videos will feature a rollercoaster of everything from desert to beaches to California Redwood forests and everything in between, randomly.

As a side issue, I feel it's rather appropriative of many these of videos to call themselves "Zen" when it's just more of what I described. Another thing which bothers me is when I see meditation videos specific to Buddhism in which the video features someone who is Caucasian. Many videos feature someone by the name of "Ajahn Brahm", "Ajahn" being a title, I believe. He's Caucasian, and frankly, I don't watch any of them. I'm not Buddhist, so I'm not an authority on the matter, but when I see a Caucasian person (and I'm Caucasian myself) engaging in these videos, I can't help but feel a sense of annoyance. I can only imagine what real Asian Buddhists might feel.

I feel the issue is that when Caucasians practice what they call "Buddhism" is really not much more than Hippyism under a poorly-constructed veneer of Oriental philosophy.

Are there any Asian posters here who could weigh in?

I wish they'd be honest. Call it "sitting silently", but don't intrude into a millenias-old tradition so as to appear sophisticated to other people. After all, didn't the Buddha say "Let go of pride"?

Ajahn Brahm is actually pretty famous because he is the student of an even more famous monk. He’s one of the few English speaking teachers from that tradition, that’s why he’s so popular elsewhere.