Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion Why is it that we fear death?

Mulattocel

Mulattocel

Admiral
★★★
I have all the motivation to kill myself. Short, ugly af, no future, all my friends have left me. For some reason though I can’t bring myself to get there. I get closest when I’m drunk in fact if I ever do end my life it will be because of the courage I have when I’m drunk. But what is it that keeps us here even when life is utter trash. Fear of Hell? Fear of nothingness? Fear of just not knowing? Will we ever know what happens after death? I think we will.

survival instinct, those that didn't have it got weeded out

I have all the motivation to kill myself. Short, ugly af, no future, all my friends have left me. For some reason though I can’t bring myself to get there. I get closest when I’m drunk in fact if I ever do end my life it will be because of the courage I have when I’m drunk. But what is it that keeps us here even when life is utter trash. Fear of Hell? Fear of nothingness? Fear of just not knowing? Will we ever know what happens after death? I think we will.

We fear the unknown for what happens after death.

Survival instincts mainly is what keeps people from commiting suicide. The truth is that suicidal people don't really want to die, they just want the pain to end. If everyone on this forum was given a choice of A.Getting to live a great life or B.Die I'm 110% positive everyone would choose A. But since option A isn't available, the default option is B. So sadly that's just how it is, furthermore the fact we don't know what's after death is what makes suicide that much scarier. So sadly that's the way the cookie crumbles.

I fear that it will hurt tbh, I dont fear death itself, I literally wouldnt miss anything or care if I dropped dead tomorrow

Just make it painless

Being suicidal numerous times, i'd say the strongest thing i observed that kept me away from death is the faint hope that you can't get off your head. You automatically start thinking "i would miss out on everything if i died, what if something changed, what if this or that happened", even though most likely nothing will change much, but that hope just keeps bugging you.

You also start feeling sorry for yourself and how you've been cornered into choosing this while most other people have never even thought about it once, which makes you more inclined to not go with it.