Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Serious Why are jobs expected to be viewed as more than what they are?

bigantennaemay1

bigantennaemay1

Aspie social drifter without purpose or home
★★★★★
I don't understand this. It seems to me like you're supposed to treat jobs as more than what they are. As an example, I have a Bachelor's Degree in Software Engineering (that has hardly been useful in the decade since graduation), and one of the questions I always get asked by interviewers and recruiters is "what industry do you want to work in, or find software work in?" Or whatever. And I always say something along the lines of "I don't know," or "any of them." Because I don't care what industry I work in, I just want a software job so that I can support myself, obviously. But those answers never fly, even despite my autism, I can tell people are put off by that answer. I don't understand!

Help me understand, through my autism, and through my retardation, what the mentality behind this is. What does it matter if I don't care what industry I work in? What does it matter if I just want a software job, and don't care if it's in the medical industry, or automotive industry, or whatever the hell? A job is a job, and that's all I care about, is landing a job, but people seem to think that I'm supposed to see jobs as this almighty, great and wonderful thing that they objectively are not. It's like a workaholic's mentality on jobs and careers, but that workaholic mentality, for some reason, has become mainstream and is impossible to avoid. Which fucking sucks. Because I am definitely not a workaholic. I just want a job, that I can afford to move out, afford to put food on my table, and a sex doll in my bed. I can do the work, I'm punctual, and it's not like I'm gonna try to up and leave each company I work at 3 months in. I don't like job hunting, either. I hate job hunting, actually. Job hunting, interviews, all that shit is horrible, an actual living hell when you have autism. I just fucking hate it. I just don't care where I work, as long as I'm working full-time, and have job security, and am making a decent amount of money.

On a related note, I also frequently get asked what companies I was looking at working for, or what specific companies I would like to work for. This one boggles my mind even further; I don't care about businesses! I have absolutely no preference over working as a software engineer at Google, as opposed to working as a software engineer at Microsoft! Why do they ask this question?! I get that different businesses have different cultures and whatnot, but when I haven't worked at any of them, and therefore, know nothing of the cultures that exist, why would I have a preference? I don't understand. Is this just normies being normies? Or am I so socially retarded that I'm missing something obvious here? I just don't give a shit whether I'm working at Google or at Microsoft, or anywhere else, as long as I'm working somewhere, I don't care. I don't give a shit about brands. This is a normie brand thing, isn't it?

Someone please explain to me what I'm missing. I'm going back to school for a different career, and I don't want to fuck this one up the way I fucked up Software Engineering. I'm trying to avoid making all the mistakes that I made with that career path. How do I lie about this stuff, like, what kind of stuff do I say when people ask me these questions? I don't even know how to fake my way through these questions, because I don't know what kind of answers they're looking for. It just seems stupid and pointless, like all normie small talk. I'm doomed, aren't I?

Tl;dr: A job is a job. Why do normies think otherwise? Why do they think jobs should be treated as something more than just a job? And how do I lie to them convincingly when they ask me these difficult questions, like "what industry do you want to work in?" or "do you have a preferred company or business you would like to work at?" When all I want to say is "I don't care, any industry, a job is a job." How do I navigate these social moors successfully?

Last edited:
"...normies think otherwise..." Your problem is not necessarily related to your inceldom.

To answer your question:

Employers want to know your preferences or your special field of interest, because based on their assumptions you will perform better in one of your fields of interest, you will develop your skills in such an area faster, therefore, you probably will be better (here I mean directly or indirectly make them more money) than a person who does not care about his profession at all.

So you gotta seem authentic when you pretend that you are interested in some area, beacause that's what they require, and also they need to beleive you that you really like it because of some reason. You'll find pretty good videos about it on YouTube or google the topic and prepare!

Gl with it, hope I could help a little.

Employers want to know your preferences or your special field of interest, because based on their assumptions you will perform better in one of your fields of interest, you will develop your skills in such an area faster, therefore, you probably will be better (here I mean directly or indirectly make them more money) than a person who does not care about his profession at all.
I guess that makes sense. But what about when they ask about a preferred company? That still doesn't make sense to me. And what if with my new career pursuits, I enjoy working in this particular career field, but I still don't have a preferred industry to work within that field. Do I still just lie and pretend there is a particular industry I want to work in, and just run with that? Even lie and pick the industry that the job I'm being interviewed for happens to be in?

So you gotta seem authentic when you pretend that you are interested in some area, beacause that's what they require, and also they need to beleive you that you really like it because of some reason. You'll find pretty good videos about it on YouTube or google the topic and prepare!

Gl with it, hope I could help a little.
I'm gonna need a lot of help from the internet. I don't know how to lie. I do lie, but horribly, and unconvincingly. I gave up on trying to lie as a result, and most of my life I've just been honest and straightforward with everyone, which I think has really shot me in the foot far more than I anticipated. This world is built on lies, and I hate it. I have been trying to learn to lie, and it's fuckin' hard.

What does it matter if I don't care what industry I work in?
It shows lack of initiative and motivation. It just makes it look like you don't care, in a bad way.

I don't know how to lie. I do lie, but horribly, and unconvincingly.
Most important thing is that you convince yourself. You could also try lying by ommision, which is easier. There are many ways you can practice, when you make an appointment to go somewhere, give a fake name or something like that (only if it's actually not that important, obviously).

It shows lack of initiative and motivation. It just makes it look like you don't care, in a bad way.
Well, that's awfully presumptuous of them.

Most important thing is that you convince yourself. You could also try lying by ommision, which is easier. There are many ways you can practice, when you make an appointment to go somewhere, give a fake name or something like that (only if it's actually not that important, obviously).
I'll have to keep that in mind. I might be able to employ this tactic next week.

goal is to test motivation and interest. also to discriminate against autistic and men who can't lie/bullshit/flatter

Interesting way to go about testing that, tbh. :feelssus:

I kinda figured there was some element of this to it, as well. :feelsbadman::feelsbadman::feelsbadman: But I gotta try. I don't want to live with my father the rest of my life.
you gotta learn to bullshit and lie. you don't need to be exceptional but good enough to lie and put on a facade of a happy motivated NT normie

you gotta learn to bullshit and lie. you don't need to be exceptional but good enough to lie and put on a facade of a happy motivated NT normie
That's gonna be difficult and rough, but if I gotta do it, I'll do my damnedest to learn. I got two years before graduation, anyway, I'm sure that's enough time to put together an act. I hope it is, anyway.

That's gonna be difficult and rough, but if I gotta do it, I'll do my damnedest to learn. I got two years before graduation, anyway, I'm sure that's enough time to put together an act. I hope it is, anyway.
tell them ya have goals man that ya wanna make it big time like you want to help with accessibility for the blind or something ya passionate about that’s not pussy or wanting ya ass ate via ascension

tell them ya have goals man that ya wanna make it big time like you want to help with accessibility for the blind or something ya passionate about that’s not pussy or wanting ya ass ate via ascension
That's gonna be harder still. Would I be able to eek by on a more vague future goal? You know, keeping the details to a minimum. I guess that would be lying by omission, wouldn't it?

That's gonna be harder still. Would I be able to eek by on a more vague future goal? You know, keeping the details to a minimum. I guess that would be lying by omission, wouldn't it?
No ya got into software engineering to like make money so just say ya want to do backend and a bigger position than software engineer

No ya got into software engineering to like make money so just say ya want to do backend and a bigger position than software engineer
I'm switching out of this career, made too many mistakes to get past, but I'll try to find simple stuff like that for my new career to tell the interviewers.

I don't understand this. It seems to me like you're supposed to treat jobs as more than what they are. As an example, I have a Bachelor's Degree in Software Engineering (that has hardly been useful in the decade since graduation), and one of the questions I always get asked by interviewers and recruiters is "what industry do you want to work in, or find software work in?" Or whatever. And I always say something along the lines of "I don't know," or "any of them." Because I don't care what industry I work in, I just want a software job so that I can support myself, obviously. But those answers never fly, even despite my autism, I can tell people are put off by that answer. I don't understand!

Help me understand, through my autism, and through my retardation, what the mentality behind this is. What does it matter if I don't care what industry I work in? What does it matter if I just want a software job, and don't care if it's in the medical industry, or automotive industry, or whatever the hell? A job is a job, and that's all I care about, is landing a job, but people seem to think that I'm supposed to see jobs as this almighty, great and wonderful thing that they objectively are not. It's like a workaholic's mentality on jobs and careers, but that workaholic mentality, for some reason, has become mainstream and is impossible to avoid. Which fucking sucks. Because I am definitely not a workaholic. I just want a job, that I can afford to move out, afford to put food on my table, and a sex doll in my bed. I can do the work, I'm punctual, and it's not like I'm gonna try to up and leave each company I work at 3 months in. I don't like job hunting, either. I hate job hunting, actually. Job hunting, interviews, all that shit is horrible, an actual living hell when you have autism. I just fucking hate it. I just don't care where I work, as long as I'm working full-time, and have job security, and am making a decent amount of money.

On a related note, I also frequently get asked what companies I was looking at working for, or what specific companies I would like to work for. This one boggles my mind even further; I don't care about businesses! I have absolutely no preference over working as a software engineer at Google, as opposed to working as a software engineer at Microsoft! Why do they ask this question?! I get that different businesses have different cultures and whatnot, but when I haven't worked at any of them, and therefore, know nothing of the cultures that exist, why would I have a preference? I don't understand. Is this just normies being normies? Or am I so socially retarded that I'm missing something obvious here? I just don't give a shit whether I'm working at Google or at Microsoft, or anywhere else, as long as I'm working somewhere, I don't care. I don't give a shit about brands. This is a normie brand thing, isn't it?

Someone please explain to me what I'm missing. I'm going back to school for a different career, and I don't want to fuck this one up the way I fucked up Software Engineering. I'm trying to avoid making all the mistakes that I made with that career path. How do I lie about this stuff, like, what kind of stuff do I say when people ask me these questions? I don't even know how to fake my way through these questions, because I don't know what kind of answers they're looking for. It just seems stupid and pointless, like all normie small talk. I'm doomed, aren't I?

Tl;dr: A job is a job. Why do normies think otherwise? Why do they think jobs should be treated as something more than just a job? And how do I lie to them convincingly when they ask me these difficult questions, like "what industry do you want to work in?" or "do you have a preferred company or business you would like to work at?" When all I want to say is "I don't care, any industry, a job is a job." How do I navigate these social moors successfully?
Everyone loves to talk highly about themselves to make themselves seem more important than they really are. I hate it, personally. I just see job as "money for bills"

Everyone loves to talk highly about themselves to make themselves seem more important than they really are. I hate it, personally. I just see job as "money for bills"
Yes, this is the right way to see it! There are few people who genuinely enjoy working in their lives; for the rest of us, why is it that we gotta change to suit the workaholics?

cuz retarded normiethink

tbh

HR types love that professional bullshit speak. Tell them what they want to hear, get your job, and just grind through for your copes.

tbh

HR types love that professional bullshit speak. Tell them what they want to hear, get your job, and just grind through for your copes.
Man, I hate that. But if I must, then I must.