Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Why are animes stuck in a perpetual state of high school adolescence teenage years?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20987
  • Start date
Deleted member 20987

Deleted member 20987

Banned
-
Still watching DATE-A-LIVE and currently up to season 3 episode 8 as I only watch 1 episode per day at most. So it'll be a while before I clear the backlog of incels.co anime recommendations (and personal choice) downloads.

DATE-A-LIVE season 1, the anime, started April 2013 when the characters were 13-17.

DATE-A-LIVE season 2 started April 2014 (only taking place a few months after season 1). Granted got to give them a time to animate and few more light manga novels to base a new anime season on.

It took DATE-A-LIVE season 3 until March 2019 5 whole years after the last entry and 6 whole years after season 1 to air. Guess what? The characters are still 13-17 and still months after season 1.

Now if I were a person living in Japan aged 16 in high school in 2013 I'd be 22 by the time season 3 aired in 2019. Now that would play on my mind, if I were a Jap, cause acquiring status and maturity is highly valued in Japan. They'd be like "time to get a job, wife and kids since I am now an adult". Watching a 3rd season would be contrary to Japans obsession with latest technology and trends.

@Higgscel care to elaborate since you are incels.co residential Gajin expert?

Watch seinen then

Watch seinen then

Interesting to see Golgo 13 and Ghost in the Shell listed amongst "seinen" anime (18-30 year old + males).

When I was a teen I used to watch a lot of "seinen" as it was all mature rated without any Moe, Harem or Kawaii/Loli in sight.

My question is do teen Japs not "grow-up" and get tired of high school themed anime and how do younger audiences feel watching an anime that started before their time?

This is an arbitrary observation since some Westerners are very Peter Pan when it comes to anime, collecting comics or action figures long past when they were the intended audience. Myself included.

Last edited:
Adolescence is seen as the best time of their life. When you're not a company slave.

They'd be like "time to get a job, wife and kids since I am now an adult". Watching a 3rd season would be contrary to Japans obsession with latest technology and trends.
Nice meme, the nips don't actually think like that, they really don't, go browse 2ch, the reddit of Japan if you want to see their thoughts.
I knew a few older dudes who still followed series from long ago, e.g Railgun/Index, Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru, code geass, even the extreme cases of the middle age evangelion fan who saw it when it first came out etc.
I still see middle age men watching anime on their smartphones on the train, thanks to the internet you don't have to stay up to midnight or set a tape to record anymore to watch the good stuff. Really anime/manga is just entertainment, not to say you can still be extreme with it and live a normal life, look at comiket as an example.
Just because you want a job and to get married, doesn't mean your hobbies have to change.
Though I did have one coworker who was 24 and got married, but that was a foid. A lot of them don't get fucking serious until the late 20s when it comes to finding a long term partner.

On a side note:
When it comes to jobs it's a bit weird. Japan has a thing called the hiring season, most of your applications you send off in Jan/Feb.So if you miss that, or you fail to get a job, it does get a bit tougher outside of that period.
Resumes have to be hand written, but luckily you don't have to write out a shit-ton. Just what schools you went to (including middle&high schools, which they list first for some dumb reason).
With interviews(between 2-3, with some bigger companies having up to 5 because jfl it's pretty much impossible to get fired in Japan due to laws, though your employer can fuck you over by decreasing your wage or taking away the "bonus" they give to everyone each year)

Degrees are pretty much required for all paper pushing jobs, I know one Nip who had a lot of trouble getting a job without one.
He almost went full hikki but ended up managing to get a blue collar job.

I like high school themed anime. It feels nice.

BASED-TEXT

Our resident Gaijin never fails to deliver on Japanese culture. Very hard, even as a Westerner with internet, to gauge what Japan is really like with only sanitised Western journalist reports or wikipedia generalisations.

Didn't realise Japan had its equivalent of reddit/meets 4chan/meets encyclopedia dramatica P/O/L (2ch).

Lol at Japan's "xenophobia of migrants" being limited to a 2% Korean minority- Japans only non-native population and Japs are triggered by this?!?
You know you live in an Ethnostate when your population is 97.8 Japanese 2% Korean and 0.2% Gaijin trophy wife of a rich Japanese businessman (fact check coming in 3,2,1....).
When we in the West can't differentiate or stop conflating the two. "K-Pop, J-Pop? It's all the same to me" (average Westerner who worships YouTube cosplay thots and unboxing videos).

Interesting take yeah there did appear to be a lot of 20-something cosplay adults at "comiket", Japan's comic con.
That said watching anime I did assume Japanese adults would've moved on and Peter Pan Syndrome was limited to Westerners, almost having a stigma, but I stand corrected.

I will say Westerners don't grow up until their mid 30s to 40s though. Geriatric (ages 35 plus) marriages and children are on the increase in the West as is the amount of single people due to female hypergamy. When the opposite should be true.

I remember you talking about the japanese job market in my "Japan looks depressing" thread a while back. Bookmarked that and this thread too.
I like high school themed anime. It feels nice.

As I said I watched a lot of seinen Manga when I was a teen, because Harem anime wasn't translated as much as it is today.

At the time, mid to late 90s, Manga video only put out 18/R rated demon, ninja, cybepunk adult shit, maybe some nihilistic, violent, masculine Mecha with the females lost in the mix.

There was Project A-ko as the sole, feminine, teen release which had some of my earliest waifus me and curious pals had digital crushes on- but that was it.

This is why I'd rather been born a Zoomer incel so I could cope with downloading said high school anime

Last edited:
@Wagiecel made a thread on this

because its supposed to be your best time in life

Because that's precisely the demographic those animes are targeted at. Middle-High school kids. If you are watching them as an adult the problem lies with you not the anime. Guys who watch that stuff are probably hikikomori losers who never had those experiences in school so compensate for it with anime.

Many anime are not focused on high school life but the protagonists are still high school kids, you know why? So that the intended demographic could relate to that protagonist.
My question is do teen Japs not "grow-up" and get tired of high school themed anime
Yes they do. Cope if you think functional adults in Japan are watching the same anime. Some of it could be nostalgia and obsession with what they loved as children, akin to how many western adults still watch pokemon. But still, most western kids who watched pokemon have grown out of it.

Last edited:
Because that's precisely the demographic those animes are targeted at. Middle-High school kids. If you are watching them as an adult the problem lies with you not the anime. Guys who watch that stuff are probably hikikomori losers who never had those experiences in school so compensate for it with anime.

True DATE-A-LIVE was based on a "light novel" which is aimed at, Japanese, high school adolescents (considered ages 13-20 in Japan)- not intended for adults to read, watch anime or consume.

In hindsight it's a tad creepy that adults, male and female, myself including are watching this shit. Also our biggest fans IncelTears let slip they are 25 plus years old themselves and they too still watch teen targeted "light novel" anime.

Yes they do. Cope if you think functional adults in Japan are watching the same anime. Some of it could be nostalgia and obsession with what they loved as children, akin to how many western adults still watch pokemon. But still, most western kids who watched pokemon have grown out of it.

Well I won't ignore what Higgscel wrote since he's actually in Japan and witnessed grown adult commuters on a train watching anime.

My question is did DATE-A-LIVE expect its audience to hold its breath for 5-6 years while the 3rd season was in limbo, since the 3rd season has continuity harking back to the prior season. Imo this is moreso proof of old fans returning than new fans demanding since the animation quality and budget dropped significantly between season 2 (2014) and 3 (2019).

True DATE-A-LIVE was based on a "light novel" which is aimed at, Japanese, high school adolescents (considered ages 13-20 in Japan)- not intended for adults to read, watch anime or consume.

In hindsight it's a tad creepy that adults, male and female, myself including are watching this shit. Also our biggest fans IncelTears let slip they are 25 plus years old themselves and they too still watch teen targeted "light novel" anime.

Well I won't ignore what Higgscel wrote since he's actually in Japan and witnessed grown adult commuters on a train watching anime.

My question is did DATE-A-LIVE expect its audience to hold its breath for 5-6 years while the 3rd season was in limbo, since the 3rd season has continuity harking back to the prior season. Imo this is moreso proof of old fans returning than new fans demanding since the animation quality and budget dropped significantly between season 2 (2014) and 3 (2019).
I guess when you are college going these kind of anime are still appealing. I mean I myself watched Sket dance when I was in college. But it becomes harder and harder to relate as you age.

Actually I've found ANOTHER, less exciting, reason why focus is on both adolescence while not pumping out new anime.

Some of these studios don't produce that many OAV's anyway. Even less so when compared to starting out in the 1980s, you can predict the proportionally limited output.

AIC (Anime International Company) only handled the first season of DATE-A-LIVE and its portfolio goes back to the 80s.
People were surprised the season 2 didn't get the same studio but it would've been disproportionate in regards to overall for a series whose commercial and critical success had been so-so.

That said look at "K-On!" one of the highest grossing animes of all time in Japan. Only 2 OAV series and a movie going back to 2009-2011. Yet its still selling and mentioned 9 years later.

I figure it's because once you're out of high school, it's kinda game over to un-fuck your life at that point, and many losers like myself wish there was a checkpoint we could roll back to and correct our own mistakes.

Dont know but its a reason why i dont watch

No one wants to grow up.

Because once you grow up the adventure ends. There's no more dreams.

You're just another generic wageslave. There's no more chance to be "somebody"

If you wanted to be somebody, you would have shown early signs of success at a young age. But after high school, those dreams will never come true.

I dont watch anime but likely it is a representation of a japanese males significant years of life, so they try to recreate their emotions in such a way from that time period

You know you live in an Ethnostate when your population is 97.8 Japanese 2% Korean and 0.2% Gaijin trophy wife of a rich Japanese businessman (fact check coming in 3,2,1....).
1 in 50 people there are foreigners based on the 98% native statistics. That is quite far from an ethnostate

coz nips are fucking autistic as fuck

No one wants to grow up.

If you wanted to be somebody, you would have shown early signs of success at a young age. But after high school, those dreams will never come true.

I still think its a teen adolescence, teen love, teen sex and "first bite is the hardest and most memorable" for teenage girls always remembering their first teenage loves. It really sets the trajectory of a girls, and boys, life if they pairbond in their teens. This is only possible in your teens. Even classical psychologists and sexual biology confirms this is a critical window of opportunity. Miss it at ages 18 plus it really is over.
(Only retarded post modernist, feminist, liberal denialists with a misandric agenda would disagree. Its like "I didn't get laid with Chad or he strung me along so no-one gets laid!" You also get cuck male psychologists or David Furtrelle style "toxic masculinity" urgh but don't go there).

I don't think your, non-sexual, life goals end there or you can't learn new skills after adolescence. I learned to play the guitar at age 20 plus. In fact I spoke to a performance coach who told me the reason high achool bands suck and play out of time is cause being too "militant with timing and critcising" during adolescence is supposedly detrimental during brain development.
So waiting until after adolescence (when you identity has formed at ages 18-19) then you can get truly creative on guitar.

I still think its a teen adolescence, teen love, teen sex and "first bite is the hardest and most memorable" for teenage girls always remembering their first teenage loves. It really sets the trajectory of a girls, and boys, life if they pairbond in their teens. This is only possible in your teens. Even classical psychologists and sexual biology confirms this is a critical window of opportunity. Miss it at ages 18 plus it really is over.
(Only retarded post modernist, feminist, liberal denialists with a misandric agenda would disagree. Its like "I didn't get laid with Chad or he strung me along so no-one gets laid!" You also get cuck male psychologists or David Furtrelle style "toxic masculinity" urgh but don't go there).

I don't think your, non-sexual, life goals end there or you can't learn new skills after adolescence. I learned to play the guitar at age 20 plus. In fact I spoke to a performance coach who told me the reason high achool bands suck and play out of time is cause being too "militant with timing and critcising" during adolescence is supposedly detrimental during brain development.
So waiting until after adolescence (when you identity has formed at ages 18-19) then you can get truly creative on guitar.
If your goal is to play guitar then sure.

If your goal is to become a big band then your odds are against you. The Beatles started when they were only 16. In fact many bands are like this. Even if they weren't a band at that age, they were already showing interest at a young age and would be playing constantly.

Not impossible but there's a reason why for most things, people start young.

And that why teenage years are important. You still have dreams, your potential is still there and most important you don't know your place in society yet. Therefore the opportunities are countless and still there.

Once you are over 20, you pretty much know your place. Especially in Japan, you will know by then if you will become a Doctor, Lawyer,Baseball star, wagecuck, burger flipper etc. They have a very structured society which shows where you should be at a certain age.

I mean going to college is already a requirement for anything professional so if you fail to get into there, your opportunities go down the gutter. So one can argue that is the key point where your dreams end for many people and coincidentally that is at the end of high school.

If everyone went to college then maybe anime would go past high school more. But they don't and many viewers will fill left out if the setting is in college.

Last edited:
No one wants to grow up.

Fuck growing up. Growing up is for bores who are too scared to escape the expectations that society has for them.

Life in Japan is basically slavery once you're out of high school. That's why they romanticize high school so much.

If your goal is to play guitar then sure.

If your goal is to become a big band then your odds are against you. The Beatles started when they were only 16. In fact many bands are like this. Even if they weren't a band at that age, they were already showing interest at a young age and would be playing constantly.

Well the odds of making it (or any money) in music are null, unless you are some focus group, jailbait pop-tart, whose has songs written for her and you get over exposure on Radio MTV.
Even if you've got talent or songs or a fanbase most streaming websites like Spotify or Alexa pay royalties of $0.006 to $0.0084 per play. Look it up.

Regarding the age thing, if guitar rock was in demand, actually a lot of rockstars like Rolling Stones, Blink 182 didn't get their break until mid to late 20s. Blink 182 wrote "what's my age of again" at age 27 as a reminder that by the time you've made it you're old age.

It's the peak of life

No one wants to grow up.

insanely brutal blackpill. this shit is true everywhere but especially in corporate hell jap land. so it's no wonder they all cope with highschool animes and isekai

The reason why is that these anime shows take place in what should be the prime of most people's lives. The creators know that, so they attempt to recreate it in a flawless and sugarcoated way, or as I'd like to put it, they want to put their show into a Chad's perspective of teenage adolescence.
No one wants to grow up.

Real shit tbh.