Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

What Brazilian Portuguese sounds like to me (as a Spanish speaker)

I thought you could understand each other

@trying to ascend @Billowel @0Energy0Happyness @the.oracle @Vitarius @PotatoTomato @HueHueBr @Glast @OscarAllius @Blackpincel @thespanishcel

I thought they were like different accents of a similar language
No, Portuguese and Spanish are definitely different languages although both language have mostly the same lexical cognates (about 89%, although flase friends do exist). The grammar and how words are spelled are also a bit different.

However, Portuguese pronunciation is more complex compared to Spanish due to Portuguese having nasal vowels and more consonant clusters, and consonants that aren't pronounce the same way as in Spanish.

So when I hear a Portuguese speaker I can barely understand them unless if I pay close attention to his speech, and even then it's a bit hard to pick up what they're saying.

Though from what I've heard, Portuguese speakers have a better time understanding Spanish speakers than the other way around.

I hope this isn't your voice? :feelsgah:

And Mario Kart was badass back in the day.
Not my voice. It's a character from Mario Kart (Shy Guy).

Portugués is actually somewhat understandable, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Portugués is actually somewhat understandable, I have no idea what you are talking about.
A little bit but not completely when spoken.

Reading written Portuguese is easier though.

Users who are viewing this thread

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6
Back