Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Gaming Unfortunate true devoted handheld consoles don't exist anymore

Stupid Clown

Stupid Clown

Everything burns
-
It's cool we have stuff like steam deck and the switch now but it's a shame we've lost true devoted handhelds like the GBA, PSP, PS Vita, 3ds. The more limited and unique hardware these handhelds had forced devs to make unique games for them instead of just spamming out ports like the switch gets. Companies were more willing to take risks and release a unique game because the budget involved in these games was much lower so there was significantly less risk. (Outside of maybe the ps vita)

Some of my favorite games most likely wouldn't exist without handhelds. Good examples being Etrian Odyssey, Phoenix Wright, etc, etc.

There's also the design of these handhelds. Modern handhelds are just too big and since there's no exclusive games there's little incitive for me to play them. Why play a game in with significantly reduced fps on a huge tablet that lasts a few hours when I can play the same game on my monitor with better fps? Because the handhelds have gotten so big I genuinely can't imagine myself casually taking them somewhere like I did with previous handhelds.

Wish there'd be more focus for handhelds to actually fit in your pocket again and not just be glorified portable laptops.

I guess you do have some handhelds that do that like the switch mini but it suffers from being extremely cheap and prone to analog drift. (Which will only get worse because Nintendo won the lawsuit against them for that)

All in all it's a travesty true handhelds are dead.

i still got my old gba sp

such good memories

i still got my old gba sp

such good memories
GBA Sp is one of the best handhelds ever. Beautiful design and great battery life. I still have mine as well.

Switch seems to still have some nintendo and jrpg exclusives, but yeah, portable consoles are now treated as low spec pc's.

I loved the psp, it was very convenient. I used to take it everywhere

PSP has a special place in my life. I played countless games on it, PSP, PS One and GBA games. I have a 2ds and PS Vita and rarely/never use them. Switch is way too expensive for such an old now console.

Switch seems to still have some nintendo and jrpg exclusives, but yeah, portable consoles are now treated as low spec pc's.
Which is a damn shame. I'd be more forgiving if they focused on battery life but they're more obsessed with specs and trying to be PCS. I will give props to Nintendo for at least prioritizing boosting battery life with each switch revision. Just unfortunate the quality of their consoles is shit.

PSP has a special place in my life. I played countless games on it, PSP, PS One and GBA games. I have a 2ds and PS Vita and rarely/never use them. Switch is way too expensive for such an old now console.
PSP is comfy. So easy to take it with you. 2DS is shit tbh because of the battery life and worse specs. You should import a new 3ds from Japan and mod it. Great handheld if you do so. Vita battery life is a travesty.

Switch was always overpriced for what it was but since it's Nintendo it'll sell.

I loved the psp, it was very convenient. I used to take it everywhere
Same.

based i emulator cope.
Well, I can't blame you. GBA Sp is basically impossible to mod so you can play free games or very expensive if you do. It's best to emulate them or mod a ds/3ds over playing them on original hardware and paying an arm and a leg for game carts that might be fake.

PSP is comfy. So easy to take it with you. 2DS is shit tbh because of the battery life and worse specs. You should import a new 3ds from Japan and mod it. Great handheld if you do so. Vita battery life is a travesty.
Psp was perfect size screen and size, still pocketable. 2ds horrible build quality and weird shape cant fit anywhere. I used to have white dsi, i loved it so much. Battery lasted for 7-8 hours, had better screen, had bunch of jrpgs and castlevanias. Great console.

Psp was perfect size screen and size, still pocketable. 2ds horrible build quality and weird shape cant fit anywhere. I used to have white dsi, i loved it so much. Battery lasted for 7-8 hours, had better screen, had bunch of jrpgs and castlevanias. Great console.
2DS is shit. Dsi was based. You can't beat playing DS games on original hardware.

nintendo ds lite was great, ds games and gba games. only broke one, it fell down 2-3 flights of stairs