Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Cope Transitive and Intransitive verbs

FinnCel

FinnCel

Alcoholcel
★★★★★
Transitive and Intransitive are types of verbs that English lacks

Transitive verbs are verbs that cause something.
Intransitive verbs simply describe something happening.

Here's an example in Finnish and Japanese:

Tietokone hajosi = the computer broke
Hajotin tietokoneen = I broke a computer.

Tietokone = computer
Hajosi = broke
Hajotin = I broke (the final -n is first person singular conjugation)
Transitive verb is hajottaa and intransitive is hajota in their infinive forms.

Same sentences in Japanese:

コンピューターが壊れた (Konpyūtā ga kowareta) = the computer broke
コンピューターを壊した (Konpyūtā o kowashita) = (I) broke the computer

コンピューター = computer (written in katakana)
が = subject marker (hiragana; you add this to show the subject of the sentence. In English, you add no markers)
壊れた = broke (verb stem in kanji, declined part in hiragana)
壊した = broke (verb stem in kanji, declined part in hiragana); to get broken
Here the undeclined forms of the verbs are 壊れる (kowareru) for intransitive and 壊す (kowasu) for transitive

People who come from transitive-intransitive languages might think that an English sentence like "the computer broke" is an incomplete sentence.
They might wonder what is the thing that the computer broke.
But English speakers automatically fill in the missing grammatical information with context

@Incellectual you wanted to be tagged for these language facts

thanks for tagging this is interesting to read

I thought it's "transvestite" :feelskek: :feelskek:

In all seriousness, I just knew that Finnish is not as complicated in that simple sentence. Tietokone means computer and I suspect the "en" in tietokoneen is used to say that it's a single computer?

I like people that are passionate about anything (language)

I thought it's "transvestite" :feelskek: :feelskek:

In all seriousness, I just knew that Finnish is not as complicated in that simple sentence. Tietokone means computer and I suspect the "en" in tietokoneen is used to say that it's a single computer?
Tietokone is actually formed of two separate words: tieto (knowledge) and kone (machine). Together they mean computer.

Tietokone in itself is singular word.
Tietokoneen is a conjugated form which tells that it is the object of the verb. There are different ways to mark the object in Finnish, and it will have a different meaning. I might do that as the next language fact topic

Tietokone is actually formed of two separate words: tieto (knowledge) and kone (machine). Together they mean computer.

Tietokone in itself is singular word.
Tietokoneen is a conjugated form which tells that it is the object of the verb. There are different ways to mark the object in Finnish, and it will have a different meaning. I might do that as the next language fact topic
I see. Maybe for another topic. But I think the transitive for English can be "the computer was broken" and "I broke the computer" if I get what you meant. Cause both are in verb 2 and means the same, except who broke the computer isn't stated in the former.

But still, suomen kielis me

I see. Maybe for another topic. But I think the transitive for English can be "the computer was broken" and "I broke the computer" if I get what you meant. Cause both are in verb 2 and means the same, except who broke the computer isn't stated in the former.

But still, suomen kielis me
Yeah, but in English you need additional words to clarify the meaning while languages with intransitive and transitive verbs, you do it with just one verb

"the computer broke" sounds completely normal to me because you dont need a subject a computer can break by itself "I'm sad the computer broke"

Better example could be something like 'bread made" which would have to be put to "one made bread" or "bread was made" to make sense in english where as in Irish for example you can say "rinneadh arán" (one made bread/bread was made) instead of 'rinne me arán"(I made bread)

what you are explaining is active-passive voices

Transitive and instransitive verbs are when the verb doesnt take a direct object

Ahmed hits the balls
Ahmed sleeps

You cant say ahmed sleeps karl

So you got them mixed up

i wish i had enough time to learn some languages from first group (less difficult like romanian, italian, french, spanish)

I didn't really understand it because low IQ but that's an interesting concept, especially this bit
People who come from transitive-intransitive languages might think that an English sentence like "the computer broke" is an incomplete sentence.
But English speakers automatically fill in the missing grammatical information with context

what you are explaining is active-passive voices

Transitive and instransitive verbs are when the verb doesnt take a direct object

Ahmed hits the balls
Ahmed sleeps

You cant say ahmed sleeps karl

So you got them mixed up
In Finnish, we have a seperate conjugation for passive.

Hajotin tietokoneen = I broke the computer
Tietokone hajotettiin = The computer got broken

The intransitive verb hajota (to break) can be conjugated in all persons:
hajosin, hajosit, hajosi, hajosimme, hajositte, hajosivat and passive is hajotaan.

The transitive verb hajottaa (to break something) can also be conjugated in all persons:
hajotin, hajotit, hajotti, hajotimme, hajotitte, hajottivat, and the passive is hajotetaan

Sorry, but you are the one who mixed them up

Cope.

You can be normal and be passionate about something
I hate when people are passionate about something they have to be autistic tbh

I’m autistic so I find it quite degrading

This is the thread all the guests should be flocking to

Transitive and Intransitive are types of verbs that English lacks

Transitive verbs are verbs that cause something.
Intransitive verbs simply describe something happening.

Here's an example in Finnish and Japanese:

Tietokone hajosi = the computer broke
Hajotin tietokoneen = I broke a computer.

Tietokone = computer
Hajosi = broke
Hajotin = I broke (the final -n is first person singular conjugation)
Transitive verb is hajottaa and intransitive is hajota in their infinive forms.

Same sentences in Japanese:

コンピューターが壊れた (Konpyūtā ga kowareta) = the computer broke
コンピューターを壊した (Konpyūtā o kowashita) = (I) broke the computer

コンピューター = computer (written in katakana)
が = subject marker (hiragana; you add this to show the subject of the sentence. In English, you add no markers)
壊れた = broke (verb stem in kanji, declined part in hiragana)
壊した = broke (verb stem in kanji, declined part in hiragana); to get broken
Here the undeclined forms of the verbs are 壊れる (kowareru) for intransitive and 壊す (kowasu) for transitive

@Incellectual you wanted to be tagged for these language facts
The funny thing is that some people claim Finnish and Japanese are similar and almost the same language to prove their theory that Finland isn’t real. Look it up its actually quite funny, and they make some weirdly logical sounding arguments as to why Finland isn’t real.

The funny thing is that some people claim Finnish and Japanese are similar and almost the same language to prove their theory that Finland isn’t real. Look it up its actually quite funny, and they make some weirdly logical sounding arguments as to why Finland isn’t real.
The languages have similarities but Finnish has more conjugations.
Japanese has conjunction for politeness, Finnish lacks it

I really like threads like this man good work

Im too low IQ for this

The languages have similarities but Finnish has more conjugations.
Japanese has conjunction for politeness, Finnish lacks it
No I meant look up the theory that Finland isn’t a real country and it’s just ocean, that Finnish people are really Swedish, Norwegian and Estonian

No I meant look up the theory that Finland isn’t a real country and it’s just ocean, that Finnish people are really Swedish, Norwegian and Estonian
Yes, I've heard about it too.
Pretty sure I am Finnish and live in Finland. I've traveled around Finland and Russia with a car and the maps go exactly like they tell.
If this is illusory or a big lie, then they pulled it off really well